Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cookware Cast Iron Skillet or ceramic? page

sting is offline Senior Member

Cookware Cast Iron Skillet or ceramic?

Primal Fuel
    Looking to but some cookware and was just wondering any recommendations?

Also what's the difference between Cast Iron Skillet and a Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet?

Just had a quick look at amazon most Cast Iron Skillets range from $10 $25 while the Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet are $75 plus.

any advice would be appreciated thanks

Cathartes is offline Member
    You can easily season your own cast iron skillet. Basically, you put oil in a skillet and stick it in the oven for a half hour or so at 350 F; after you cook with it, clean it with a cloth and oil rather than a dishwasher. Every few months, oil it and throw it in a hot oven again.

Here's Martha Stewart's guide to dealing with cast iron: Cast Iron Pans - Martha Stewart Home & Garden (she's been to prison, and is a BAMF) You can find far more guides with a simple google search, but seasoning your own pan is easy.

You can season your own cast iron. Even if you buy it pre seasoned, you'll have to re-season it within a year. I'd to with the less expensive option.
    Last edited by Cathartes; 06-14-2013 at 01:22 AM.

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    If you are going to use oil to season it, use flaxseed oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo0731 View Post
    If you are going to use oil to season it, use flaxseed oil.
    Flaxseed oil? I've always done mine with either extra-virgin olive oil or lard, although I've heard that bacon fat is good for seasoning,too. What's the bonus of flaxseed oil over, say, lard? All I know about the fat/oil for seasoning is that using something with a low smoke point ( like canola oil) will eff up your pan.

I have read that lard is best for seasoning ( maybe because of the smoke point). So I'm interested in the science/smoke point/omega3 of the seasoning oils.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathartes View Post
    You can easily season your own cast iron skillet. Basically, you put oil in a skillet and stick it in the oven for a half hour or so at 350 F; after you cook with it, clean it with a cloth and oil rather than a dishwasher. Every few months, oil it and throw it in a hot oven again.

Here's Martha Stewart's guide to dealing with cast iron: Cast Iron Pans - Martha Stewart Home & Garden (she's been to prison, and is a BAMF) You can find far more guides with a simple google search, but seasoning your own pan is easy.

You can season your own cast iron. Even if you buy it pre seasoned, you'll have to re-season it within a year. I'd to with the less expensive option.
    From Martha Stewart

To keep a seasoned cast-iron pan in good condition, simply wipe it with a paper towel and a little oil after each use to clean it. If there are stuck-on food particles, use hot water and a brush or nylon scouring pad to clean them away (never use soap). If necessary, pour some water into the pan, and boil it on top of the stove for a few minutes to eliminate stubborn food pieces. Dry and reseason the pan between washings.
    This seems a lot of messing around? I'm single male and am not into cooking and washing hate it, to be honest, is this necessary each time, or maybe is there a different cooking tool option ceramic?

Quote Originally Posted by sting View Post
    From Martha Stewart

This seems a lot of messing around? I'm single male and am not into cooking and washing hate it, to be honest, is this necessary each time, or maybe is there a different cooking tool option ceramic?
    Yeah, I'm a single female and my technique is, wipe it with a towel and oil. If there are stuck on food particles, rub it harder. If that doesn't get rid of them, who cares, they're the size of a pinhead and extra protein. ( they've been cooked;they contain no germs; they are sterile)

I haven't used ceramic cast iron, but I can say that you're attentive to potential food contamination but not OCD, regular cast iron is fine. Maybe food cooked in ceramic tastes better, but hey, I wouldn't know.

I know nothing about ceramic, can you cook a stir fry or a steak with ceramic cookware or is it for other?

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    I've never seasoned a CI pan. But I have read the most prefer flaxseed oil over lard and other oils. I prefer carbon steel pans personally.

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    You can get Lodge cast iron at Walmart and Target. They weren't very expensive, around $16-$20. You can also use salt to help clean them.

However, I just got Nordic Ware restaurant pans (NSF). These are made in USA and work great. I know cast iron is healthier, but I just don't care for it.

Sustainable Business Practices at Nordic Ware - Nordic Ware

Leida is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I love my cast-iron, but my second flat-top stove can't take it on the stove top. I am miffed, because I did not see it coming! I am so happy with the 2-oven stove, but the flat top proved to be too wimpy.

I will be looking for enameled ones eventually. For now, I live dangerously and still use the non-stick ware.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast