Thread: Paleo Friendly Restaurants in Boston and Greater New England page

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member

Paleo Friendly Restaurants in Boston and Greater New England

Primal Fuel
    Hi All!

I'm starting to research restaurants in Boston that have paleo friendly menu options. I am going to be there in a few months for a family vacation and want to make sure I can eat. (I plan to bring some travel-friendly foods as well - but it would be good to actually be able to eat out with the rest of my family). They needn't be paleo specialty restaurants, just ones that have at least a few options that are paleo friendly. I am paleo in part because of GI disorders - so I'm especially picky about being gluten free (none of those accidentally-glutened events - I'm going on a cruise out of Boston, and the last thing I need is a GI attack). Hoping to enjoy some of the great seafood in the area - but most of the restaurants my mom was interested in seemed to have mostly battered and fried foods. Anyway - any places you could recommend in New England (in the Boston area in particular, since we'll be there for a few days before our cruise leaves) or resources - I'd be much obliged. Thanks!
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

JinMe is offline Junior Member
    Legal Sea Foods is a landmark Boston restaurant with several locations - they now have a gluten-free menu
    Legal Sea Foods - Seafood Restaurants. If it isn't fresh, it isn't Legal!

Another seafood option is the Naked Fish in Waltham.
    Welcome to Naked Fish - Naked Fish, Waltham MANaked Fish, Waltham MA | Seafood

You shouldn't have a hard time finding anything suitable. Boston has a fantastic selection of restaurants!

Janet

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    ^I can attest to both of those, great gluten-free selections. Naked Fish is so gluten-free friendly, they label things WITH gluten, as opposed to those without.

I'm not much help as I don't really go gluten-free when I eat out. Tasty Burger in Harvard Square has good burgers for fast food, comparable to In-N-Out if you're into that kind of thing, and has a gluten-free bun. There's a restaurant in Lexington that uses local foods (can't remember the name right now) including local meats (possibly grass-fed?). I didn't have any trouble eating gluten-free there.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Thanks for the tips!
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    where in boston are you staying? how many meals will you need?

i live here and eat out often.

waltham is not "all" that close to boston and you don't need to leave the city to meet your parameters.

for fantastic seafood you can go to island creek oyster bar or neptune oyster. the latter is tiny but i had some amazing crudo there yesterday.

we've also got a vibrant nose-to-tail chef scene here if that is of any interest.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    You can really make any restaurant paleo, you just have to modify menu items. People always ask me where I can eat and I say, ANYWHERE - because I know how to order! Even if it's a pizza restaurant... I can get a salad and ask for the toppings from the pizza (minus the cheese) to be put on the greens, it's actually quite easy and these days, people are pretty accommodating! I am after all the one paying for the meal!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    where in boston are you staying? how many meals will you need?

i live here and eat out often.

waltham is not "all" that close to boston and you don't need to leave the city to meet your parameters.

for fantastic seafood you can go to island creek oyster bar or neptune oyster. the latter is tiny but i had some amazing crudo there yesterday.

we've also got a vibrant nose-to-tail chef scene here if that is of any interest.
    I know we're going to be traveling around some. The point of getting there a few days before our cruise actually leaves is so that we can do some sight seeing. My mom's ancestors are from there (she's a DAR and Mayflower descendant) so I know she want to see some of the places where her family came from when they first settled in the colonies. For me we're going to Concord to the Louisa May Alcott house . . . so I know we'll be going to a few places in Mass. and Conn. over those days. So I'd say I'm planning on eating out for at least 4 lunches and 5 dinners - but I plan to bring some of my own food too, or hit up a grocery store there, in case I ever have to refrain from eating some place that doesn't have any appetizing options that will work for me.

I do LOVE seafood - so I'm glad there seem to be so many places that don't just batter and fry it for you!

Quote Originally Posted by GiGiEats View Post
    You can really make any restaurant paleo, you just have to modify menu items. People always ask me where I can eat and I say, ANYWHERE - because I know how to order! Even if it's a pizza restaurant... I can get a salad and ask for the toppings from the pizza (minus the cheese) to be put on the greens, it's actually quite easy and these days, people are pretty accommodating! I am after all the one paying for the meal!
    Yes, while this is generally true, and it's what I'd been doing when I first went paleo, this will no longer work for me because of the risk of accidental gluten exposure. When I first went paleo (last year) it was for weight loss and just trying to make meals more paleo was sufficient for me. However, over the last year I've had more GI issues (that resulted in two ER trips) and am currently awaiting further tests. (I have endoscopy testing for celiac, Crohn's and ulcerative colitis scheduled in 3 weeks). 80/20 and not stressing about gluten exposure when eating out is now a thing of the past for me. As soon as my testing is done I'm starting a healing autoimmune protocol and low-FOWMAP diet to try and get things under control . . . while I hope to be able to loosen up a little bit by October - gluten is one of those things I can no longer afford to not worry about - so just trying to paleofy regular restaurant foods won't work - I need restaurant recommendations for places that take gluten allergies and celiac disease seriously. I don't want to spend half my cruise running to the bathroom, ya know? And traveling is already stressful enough to your system without adding accidental gluten exposure.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k