Thread: Programming for power cleans? page

Jefferson1775 is offline Senior Member

Programming for power cleans?

Primal Fuel
    I'm doing power cleans once per week, 3x3, and adding 2.5 lb each time. My best with that is 157.5x3x3. Lately, I've been trying to "muscle up" the reps and am thinking about trying something new with them. I do a modified version of 5/3/1 with only the 1st and 3rd weeks (it's more like 5/1). I'm thinking about doing something similar for power cleans, except with triples, doubles, and singles. So, it would look like this:

Week 1
    80% x 3, 85% x 3, 90% x 3+

Week 2
    85% x 3, 90% x 2, 95% x 1+

Does this look alright? Any advice is welcome.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Is your deadlift progressing?

10 lb every 2 weeks
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

emerson is offline Member
    Muscling up a power clean is a reverse curl and running 5/3/1 on the plus days might be an injury waiting to happen; I'm not a form purest but if you want to move the most weight when it matters do it the right way in training, i.e. form break downs on a 1 RM so what... form break down at 80% and you might be doing something wrong... just saying...

I probably should've explained that differently. Out of 9 reps, 6-7 will look fine. On the other 2-3, the bar will land on my hands instead of my shoulders. On the plus days, I always leave at least one rep in the tank.