Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another lipid profile page

Chewy63 is offline Junior Member

Another lipid profile

Hello all,

I have been primal now for only 3 weeks (probably the tenth time I've tried it over the past 3 years). I know this is the only way to live, but Sad has a strong hold on me and I struggle with it. Anyway I just want to say hello and appreciate every thing you guys do.

My stats:
    300 lbs
    High blood pressure and on meds
    Horrible diet
    A surprising fasting blood sugar of 81
    Anxiety and medicated

Now for the question. I had routine blood work done the other day for my blood pressure. I have never had bad cholesterol, at least in my docs eyes, and I got call today from docs office telling me I need to go on a low fat diet and that they were going to put me on a staton drug.

Lipid panel results
    Try's=252
    Tc=270
    Hdl=39
    non hdl=231
    LDl=181
    Chol/hdlc=6.9
    Vldl=50

What do you guys think?
    Erin

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Are you a woman? (I'm guessing so because of 'Erin'). The rest of this post assumed you are.

Don't take a statin. They are evil and do farm more harm than good.

First up, the good news. Don't worry about high total cholesterol. In women, it's INVERSELY related to all cause mortality in women (meaning, the higher your total cholesterol is, the less likely you are to die). You should NOT worry about your high total cholesterol.

Now, the bad news. I'm sorry, but your cholesterol ratios are fairly bad. The key problem is your low LDL, since it's the denominator in all three ratios (TotC/HDL, Trig/HDL and LDL/HDL).

My reccomendations are
    a. Raise your HDL by eating more saturated fat (particularly animal/dairy fat). This will also increase your LDL, but whatever.
    b. Lower your LDL by increasing thyroid function, with Iodine and Selenium (your thyroid increases the number of LDL receptors you have, which is what takes LDL out of circulation. This is particularly important since the longer LDL circulates in your system the more likely it becomes damaged by oxidation.
    c. Lower your Trigs by decreasing carbohydrate intake. Trig/HDL is an indicator of LDL particle size, so the lower this is the less likely you will have the bad oxidised LDL floating around

If you want to read more, there's the excellent primer in my sig. And Peter Attia wrote a massive series of blog posts about it.

p.s. Don't take a statin.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

No I'm a guy, my mom just wanted to torcher me!

Kegas76 is offline Senior Member
    Steps to raise HDL

1) Elimination of all wheat–Yes, consumption of “healthy whole grains” sets you up to have lower HDL levels; elimination of wheat increases HDL.
    2) Limited carbohydrate consumption–While eliminating wheat is a powerful nutritional strategy to increase HDL, non-wheat carbohydrates like quinoa, millet, beans, rice, and fruit can still cause high triglycerides that lead to reduced levels of HDL. Limited exposure helps keep HDL at higher levels.
    3) Omega-3 fatty acid supplementation–Because omega-3 fatty acids reduce both triglycerides and blunt the postprandial rise in lipoproteins that can cause HDL degradation, HDL rises with omega-3s from fish oil.
    4) Vitamin D supplementation–The effect is slow, but it is BIG. HDL just goes up and up and up over about 2 years of supplementation

From Dr. Davis' Track Your Plaque Blog

EatMoveSleep is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewy63 View Post
    I have been primal now for only 3 weeks
    My stats:
    300 lbs
    High blood pressure and on meds
    Horrible diet
    A surprising fasting blood sugar of 81
    Anxiety and medicated

Now for the question. I had routine blood work done the other day for my blood pressure. I have never had bad cholesterol, at least in my docs eyes, and I got call today from docs office telling me I need to go on a low fat diet and that they were going to put me on a staton drug.

Lipid panel results
    Try's=252
    Tc=270
    Hdl=39
    non hdl=231
    LDl=181
    Chol/hdlc=6.9
    Vldl=50

What do you guys think?
    Erin
    Three weeks is normally not enough time after starting a new diet before getting cholesterol checked (3 months is more like it).

Horrible diet??? (before???? - not now though --- right??)
    High Trigs often come from carbs (are you eating : grains/starches/fruits/sugars?)
    Are you following the PB plan without 'cheats'?
    Are you walking?
    What is your age?

You Trigs are too high, LDL should be lowered, and HDL should be raised.

Quote Originally Posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
    Three weeks is normally not enough time after starting a new diet before getting cholesterol checked (3 months is more like it).

Horrible diet??? (before???? - not now though --- right??)
    High Trigs often come from carbs (are you eating : grains/starches/fruits/sugars?)
    Are you following the PB plan without 'cheats'?
    Are you walking?
    What is your age?

You Trigs are too high, LDL should be lowered, and HDL should be raised.
    My diet for three weeks has been pretty good.
    Grains= once a week at hu hot
    Starches= three to four sweet potatoes a week
    Cheats= 3 slices of pizza
    Walking=no
    Age=36

Erin

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Tips for a long healthy life:

1. Eat paleo/primal template
    2. Move frequently and sometimes intensely
    3. Ignore doctors advise to artificially inflate or deflate inconsequential numbers with dubious drugs.
    4. It takes longer than 3 weeks

Specifically for you with your trigs and likely metabolic syndrome I would recommend you stick to low carb variety of primal.

I forgot to add that I was on a 20 hr fast when my blood was taken.

Kegas76 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewy63 View Post
    I forgot to add that I was on a 20 hr fast when my blood was taken.
    Why? There is no need to get cute and do anything special before a diagnostic test. You are looking for a baseline number just do the 12 hours they mention.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It wasn't intentional it just happened that way. I normally don't eat breakfast, even when I'm on sad. I usually eat my first meal at 11 and a huge meal at 6 or 7. My meal the night before was big so I wasn't and am usually not hungry till around 11. It just kinda happens like that. Believe me I'm not doing or trying anything fancy, carb cycling, if ing, ect.

The drs office scheduled another blood test in 3 months and my wife has told me that if the numbers don't go down I have to go on the meds. She is not a believer and when I try to explain it to her she says things like, the people on that forum aren't drs, your dr went to school, your being stupid, we have a 2 year old and I don't want you to be dead by the time your 40.

It's the same thing you see on here all the time. When the nurse told me on the phone that I needed to go on a low fat diet and take the meds, I told her that I was going to look into it and think about it. I literally think I heard her shat herself when I said that!! "You realize that high fat content in your blood will clog your arteries and cause heart disease?"

Erin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast