Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal dandruff control? page

primal pete is offline Senior Member

Primal dandruff control?

Embarrassing as it is to admit, I have a dry skin/flake/dandruff problem that requires neolithic products to control. I hate what cw shampoo does to my hair though. If I don't shampoo my hair is nice, thick, and wavy, but unfortunately my dandruff goes out of control. If I do shampoo, my hair becomes a dry frizz-fest.

Does anyone have a primal solution to dandruff and dry skin? I'd like to have my natural wavy hair without it.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    It's not embarassing. Advertising and marketing have only made it so. It's no more embarassing than any other immune issue. Once you're getting enough zinc and D, the seborrheic dermatitis will go away.

See my signature links and other posts for information on zinc, D, produce, probiotics etc. In the meantime, you can use tea tree oil - 5 drops added to any shampoo of your choice and/or original listerine (store brand *original* works also). Get a narrow tipped squeeze bottle from any beauty supply store - the kind a stylist might use for hair color. Fill it with the listerine, apply to your scalp everywhere, or just trouble spots daily. Leave on for a few minutes - ie while brushing teeth and shaving, then shampoo it out.

Be sure your'e getting sufficient zinc (nutritiondata.com), sufficient vitamin D (see below), take probiotics daily (listed in my supps) and you'll be all set. I need to go add this to my journal as one of the things I struggled with in my 20s....along with the other heap of health problems

Best,
    K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

dakini is offline Senior Member
    Not sure if it's considered primal...but I use baking soda to wash my scalp and then I use apple cider vinegar as a rinse/conditioner. I think it's helping me. (I'll wait to see what my hairdresser says next week) but I know my hair is easier to manage.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Actually, the only shampoo I found pre- PB that made my dandruff go away was Giovanni tea Tree Treat. It has no sulfates, or surfactants. Mostly just water, oils and aloe. There's some stuff down on the bottom that I don't particularly care for, but it beats the hell out of Suave and Selsen Blue.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    If that dandruff is accompanied by athlete's foot, jock itch, perhaps fatigue and a tendency to gain weight, and sometimes joint pain, you will never lose it by just concentrating on the scalp. With all of that you have fungus 'all over the body---in and out'.
    You need a broadside, not just concentrated fire on a single spot, to sink that ship. There are many sources of information about eliminating fungus. Basically, they all tell you to quit sugar in any form. There's more to it, but that is a big start.

I add organic Tea Tree oil to whatever shampoo I've can afford at any given time. I usually add about 15-30 drops to the bottle and shake well. When I wash, I make sure to let it absorb or soak for a while, then rinse. With hair as long, thick, and wavy as mine, I have to use conditioner, so I usually add it to that as well. When all rinsed off, I pour a home-made solution of 4:1 water to organic Apple Cider Vinegar mixed with a few drops of rosemary oil onto my scalp and don't rinse, then just style as normal.

I do this whether I have dry skin or not, so even though being primal should and probably will help, I'll continue this regime just because I like it and I know it's good for my skin.

tamo42 is offline Senior Member
    This is only anecdotal, but when I stopped using shampoo and conditioner, my dandruff went away. I have a scalp massage brush that I use in the shower and that's it. It takes a few weeks for the sebum (head oil) producing cells in your scalp to adjust to the fact that you aren't removing all the sebum constantly. Once that adjustment takes place, there's no more worries. As long as I do a scalp massage (30 seconds) at least every 4 days or so, I have no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by tamo42 View Post
    This is only anecdotal, but when I stopped using shampoo and conditioner, my dandruff went away. I have a scalp massage brush that I use in the shower and that's it. It takes a few weeks for the sebum (head oil) producing cells in your scalp to adjust to the fact that you aren't removing all the sebum constantly. Once that adjustment takes place, there's no more worries. As long as I do a scalp massage (30 seconds) at least every 4 days or so, I have no problems.
    Very interesting. I know of people who don't wash their hair, but they've never explained it like this (maybe because they don't do it like this, I don't know) so I've always been a little grossed out by the thought of not washing. My head will itch and it seems like I get hotter and skin more irritated if I don't.

So is your hair shiny or dull? Do you style it? Do you have long or thick hair? Sorry for all the questions. Just hard to wrap my mind around this for myself.
    Now and then it is good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy.

norcalgal is offline Senior Member
    i have to agree with other people in this thread and say that tea-tree oil is wonderful for scalp problems.
    "The first wealth is health."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

stevehtcyl is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I used to have quite bad dandruff. It was always at it's worst when I used Pantene. Anyway I changed hairdresser a few months ago and he suggested I stop using shampoo. It took a good couple of months or 3 to get through the phase of my hair being overly oily and uncontrolable but now I have the best hair condition I can ever remember. I still have dandruff but it's really really minor, it feels like my head skin peels at the same rate as the rest of my skin. I dont use any products in it any more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast