Thread: Best protein powder? page

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I was wondering what the consensus was as to the healthiest protein powder (like for making a smoothie). I've seen egg and whey protein powders at the store, and I figured since egg would be totally non dairy that might be better, but is whey protein really that terrible?

I'm not looking for powdered smoothie mixes -- I'm experimenting making my own.

Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Mick Guest

Whey itself is fine -- specially if soured. The oldest man ever to live in Britain was Thomas Parr whose habitual drink was sour whey and who lived to 152 years and 9 months. (William Harvey wrote about him.)

Bought whey powder is a different matter. It won't be from good quality organic milk, and it will have been spray dried at high temperature, which will have denatured it. (It's also said that spray-drying food creates carcinogens.)

I'd stay away from those powders. I think the best policy is to eat food in its natural state, and for food that needs preparation to prepare it yourself. Just avoid commercial foods.

You could add natural unsweetened yoghurt (preferably organic) to your smoothies instead. That would also have the advantage that you've got the lactobacilli cultures that are used to sour the yoghurt. Or perhaps some banana would thicken them up nicely.

TomD is offline Junior Member

There are good protein powder from milk/whey from grassfed cows. Google "grass fed protein powders"

goodfriendsam Guest

Jay Robb! http://www.jayrobb.com/jayRobbProtein.asp

Whey from grass fed cows, egg white protein, and sprouted grain (if you're into that kind of thing).

Very high quality, recommended by Underground Wellness.

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the advice ... the thing with yogurt is that even the plain stuff I have found does not seem to have enough protein and I'm looking for something I can throw in the blender with some ice cubes, fruit and coconut milk for a quick drinkable meal in the morning to take to class.

I am pretty sure I've seen some Jay Robb stuff at the health food store here -- I'll pick up some next time I'm there.

Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I'm a big fan of Wegman's brand whey protein. If you have access to a Wegman's, I highly recommend their products.

Whey powder, a raw egg, some liquid and maybe some fruit. Yumm...

Shazkar is offline Junior Member

To be honest, a lot of the ones being mentioned are ridiculously expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Chocolate-5-13-Pound/dp/B000GIQT06/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1248633206&sr=1-4

That right there is what I get. The "Natural" one has no artificial sweeteners and the other one does. Either way, double chocolate + water tastes fine, and it is probably the most affordable around...

And affordability is important.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I just get mine from a 'bulk' bin in my 'natural/ whole foods' grocery store. It's really cheap, has vanilla flavoring and no added sugars.

BUT, 'goodfriendsam', I love that link you provided! Very excellent. Someday, when I have money, I will TOTALLY order these!