Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My digestive problems are making me depressed page

kyle2006 is offline Junior Member

My digestive problems are making me depressed

Shop Now
    Since early last year, I suddenly began belching immediately after eating and getting acid reflux. Yes, I was eating the typical American diet, including pasta, pizza, sandwiches, etc., mixed with the occasional fruits and vegetables - but no fast food, candy, etc. Initially, my GI doctor prescribed me PPIs (which made the problem worse). About this time, I bought an Omega juicer and started juicing daily while cleaning up my diet a lot (still eating grains, but made the switch to multi-grain breads, pastas, you name it. I thought this was a step in the right direction). My problems persisted, with belching during and immediately after meals for hours, as well as bloating. I've always found it weird because I'm a pretty lean 5'11" 165 lb male with abs, yet I can make my stomach stick out like I'm pregnant after eating.

I had an endoscopy that showed minor irritation, but other than that, everything was normal. My doctor said I had GERD and wanted to keep me on PPIs but I insisted on getting off of them after a month. I read about low stomach acid being a major contributor to many digestive problems, and I started supplementing with HCL, a probiotic, and digestive enzymes. Same symptoms, little progress - I no longer get acid reflux, but still get burping and bloating). I decided to get off of these supplements and I haven't really noticed a difference in not taking them.

A couple of months ago, we purchased a Blendtec and started making smoothies daily (kefir, almond milk, water, kale, rainbow chard, collard greens, ginger, coconut oil, flax seeds, and frozen blueberries). The smoothies are awesome and they've greatly helped me in going to the bathroom. Also, it's been a great way to incorporate a lot of vegetables into my diet. However, I was still getting the belching and bloating problems after eating. A few weeks ago, I stumbled on the Primal diet, or lifestyle, and have really made an effort to cut out breads, pastas, and other processed foods. I now eat primarily chicken, grass fed beef, occasional fish, lots of leafy greens and other vegetables, fruits, plain greek yogurt, and nuts. My wife has even joined me in this new lifestyle. I'd say we're about 70-80% primal right now, with the occasional cheat meal of homemade grilled pizza, lightly breaded chicken, and pasta (my wife has a huge Italian family).

I know I'm not doing myself any favors cheating, as my main goal of eating this way is to hopefully eliminate my GERD, but I feel so overwhelmed by food and what to eat/what not to eat. I feel like I'm developing anxiety about my food choices, as I have to make sure the food is 100% primal or any progress I've made will be reset. I'm willing to try anything to get rid of my digestive issues, as I feel like it currently consumes my entire life. I can't eat a single thing without thinking whether or not I will start burping or feel bloated. Now, I'm reading about FODMAP and GAPS, and I don't know what to eat anymore. As I said earlier, I'm pretty skinny already and I do not want to lose weight, so my fear is I will become too picky about eating and lose weight.

Sorry for the long rant. I'd love more than anything to be back to normal and eat without fearing the consequences. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you
    Last edited by kyle2006; 06-13-2013 at 05:24 PM.

Black Timber is offline Senior Member
    Take a look at, Search: GERD. Kresser is a good resource for many of your issues.

Don't worry about cheating once in a while. I think that whatever causes you less stress is the way to go.

No reason to lose any weight - just eat more!
    Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

I saw his articles to eliminate GERD before, but it's good to review it again. Looks like he highly recommends a low carb diet and increasing stomach acid to help eliminate GERD. Thanks for reminding me of this. Very helpful!

shousan is offline Junior Member
    look into low fodmap diet, helps alot with digestive issues

Grokkette is offline Junior Member
    I so understand the feeling of needing to be obsessive about every single thing you eat... then coming across information that's totally contrary to some philosophy you've been following. It throws you for a loop and stresses you out. You think maybe all this work is for naught because you've been following the wrong advice the whole time.

While I do care about my nutrition and health, I try to keep a light-hearted approach to it. I'd call my nutrition interest a hobby. Reading and learning about foods and their effect on the body is something I enjoy, and implementing it in my own life is an experiment of one. While I hope that the choices I'm making are good ones and that I'll see the results I'm hoping for, only paying close attention to my own body can tell me this for certain.

So my point is, keep yourself informed, like you clearly have been. DON'T go back to eating without fearing the consequences because there's really no way to do that in the modern world and have a chance at great health. Just relax, make the best choices you can, and pay attention to your body. But don't stress over it. No need for that.

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like it possibly could be SIBO. When you have gas does it smell really bad? Also do you have any rosacea? Rosacea and Sibo have been linked together. Probiotics can even lead to SIBO if the conditions are right in the Small Intestine. Which probiotic are you talking? Finally, When is the last time you took an antibiotic?

The main symptoms of SIBO are indigestion, lots of gas, and horrible smelling deification, burps, and flatulence. Most people with IBS are walking around with SIBO as their main cause of their problems. Other symptoms of SIBO include abdominal pains, constipation and/or diarrhea, food allergies, and low grade fever.

When I burp, yes, it smells like whatever I have eaten recently. I do not have rosacea. I was taking New Chapter Organics probiotics last year, but this year I have relied on getting probiotics through plain Kefir and plain 2% Fage greek yogurt. My gas is 99% belching, with the occasional flatulence.

As far as taking an antibiotic, I was on a small course last fall due to a cough, but that was months after my belching started. Before my belching began, I can't remember the last time I was on an antibiotic (maybe four years ago when I got my tonsils out). Also, I fortunately don't have issues going to the bathroom. I typically go once or twice a day (probably thanks to smoothies I drink every morning).

Is there an easy way to determine SIBO? I believe I was tested for it last year, or at least the talk came up with my doctor. I had blood tests done for celiac, and that was negative. I also did a stool sample to test for parasites and that came back negative as well.
    Last edited by kyle2006; 06-14-2013 at 02:33 PM.

kaffyduck is offline Junior Member
    Has your doctor ruled out Gallbladder Disease?

"Regardless of the diagnosis of your gallbladder disease, most of the symptoms will be similar. This is one of the reasons it is hard to know exactly what is going on without several tests. The most common symptoms are indigestion, gas, bloating, burping, belching, especially (but not necessarily) following a meal. It usually is a meal containing fat but after some time it seems to be unrelated not only to fat intake but even food intake. It may progress to constant tenderness or discomfort (unrelated to food intake) under the rib cage on the right side."

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    In my opinion all those books can give you a starting point, but they can't tell you what works for you. I would suggest eliminating down to a couple of foods that you know don't bother you, and the add foods one at a time until you have built a food plan that works for you.

I also suggest not "cheating." Make a conscious, thought-out decision about what special foods are worth to you and write down what your plan is. It may be a specific amount, specific occasions,specific times between... what every you DECIDE is what you want to do and what you are willing to access the consequences from.

and +1 on checking the gallbladder.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Lactulose Breath Test is the best way. The might have done a Glucose breath test which is inaccurate. But with your symptoms you have to have a case of SIBO.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gutThe book price is $9.99.

I put my blood, sweat, and tears in making sure that this ebook is one of the best literary pieces written in regard to digestive health. You want detailed cutting edge information on probiotics and digestive enzymes, BAM, its all searchable in an easy to read kindle format.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast