Thread: grassfed meat page

reamz is offline Senior Member

grassfed meat

Primal Fuel
    hi, this is my first post to the forums, though ive been a reader of marksdailyapple for a couple of months now...just to introduce myself i am a 19year old med student (1st year) in london, with a huge interest in nutrition....i was led to paleo after first changing my diet to low carb (couple of years ago), then discovering paleo, and then the weston price foundation, so now my diet is paleo/primal, mostly just meat + organs, with a little raw dairy now and then, and when in season

Anyway, to my question!
    For the past year or so ive been eating most of my meat from a farm who feed their animals some grain during the winter (in addition to hay/silage etc) and are grass fed and grass finished in the spring/summer. Some of my meat has been from 100%grass fed animals, but since the farmers market where i got that meat is a bit of a trek to get to, i've mostly been sticking to the one producer.
    Well, now im thinking maybe i should go 100% grass fed (i found some more producers who are at farmers markets that are a lil easier to get to), especially since i dont eat much veg and rely on the meat and organs to get most of my nutrition...
    i'm quite sure i will go for 100% grass fed now, but am a lil worried that the past 2 years or so of carnivorous eating as not been optimal

what do you think?

are there any studies/data comparing nutrient profiles of 100% grass fed meat versus mostly grassfed meat thats fed some grain in the winter?

thanks

UpNorth is offline Junior Member
    Why worry about the past? Do what's right for your future and be happy.

reamz is offline Senior Member
    true, true, but im still interested
    i mean, it's be nice to know the difference during those times i can't get 100% grass fed meat...i mean, how much better is the described alternative to grain finished meat...

Mike Alzen is offline Senior Member
    I'm curious about this as well. I know it won't be as good as 100% grass fed/finished, but I'm wondering how big of an impact it is.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm. Personally, I'm not bothered by winter feed including concentrates. Our cattle get extra feed - they need the energy.
    You could maybe go for the 100% grass fed in winter? But in summer, your other producer's cattle will have been eating grass only for several months so maybe their body comp has changed to reflect that.
    I wonder.... how long does it take for a steer to replace/rebuild it's body fat? Interesting....

I guess it also depends how annoying it is to get one or the other.

As for not being optimal - hey, you're still here! I doubt the difference is significant. Personal opinion only though!

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I also doubt the difference matters. As I understand it, all cattle are pastured and primarily grass fed to the age about 9 months. Then the 'less healthy' ones are sent to feed lots where they get fattened up on antibiotic laced corn (and other less savory things). It's during the fattening process where the Omega 3s and CLAs get reduced and the saturated fats increase.

So it seems a grass fed animal supplemented with grain in winter, and grass finished, probably is no different by slaughter time than a 100% grass fed animal. I am eating organic grain finished beef with gusto. Sorry, but it tastes far superior, cost a bit less, and I'm not worked up about some minor nutritional differences. I can cover my Omega 3s with supplements and lots of seafood.

I guess if I can be convinced the differences are major, I will choke down that nasty overpriced, too lean, gamey grass fed stuff.