Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MCTs cannot make you fat!? page

sting is offline Senior Member

MCTs cannot make you fat!?

Shop Now
    MCTs cannot make you fat!
    Because they have fewer carbon atoms, MCTs have a number of advantages over LCTs. Although MCTs are fat, and feel like fat in your mouth, they cannot make you fat. They resemble carbohydrates more than fat, are easy to digest, and are burned as energy—so there is no where for them to go, and no place for you body to store them.
    Medium-Chain Triglycerides (MCTs): The fat that makes you lose fat |*Smart Publications

Is this correct as most will say, over consumption of calories do make you fat?

The first time i tried VLC but not counting calories i didn't lose weight, 2nd time on VLC i didn't eat enough calories, just wondering others thoughts on MCTs vs saturated fats?

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Fat is such a vague word encompassing so many different fatty acids ...
    It is all about the metabolic pathway and MCTs have a special one which will lead to ketone production by the liver.
    But as with everything, you should not indulge in some particular chemical compound. Eat real foods instead of MCT: coconut is your best bet for that, followed by dairy fat (butter or ghee, if you can call those items real foods ).

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    If something can help you lose fat, it doesn't mean that it won't make you fatter, if you overeat it. One way or another calories still count. "Calorie is a calorie" is not completely true, however if you consume 10 000 kcal a day, most of it will go into fat storage

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    1g of MCT will make itself available for burning more readily than 1g of LCT which may increase "calories out" a bit. Adding it beyond your normal fat usage probably won't help though--it still displaces the stored fat that would have been burned.
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    I heard that it might be because MCT's produce their own ketones when broken down, even if you aren't in ketosis.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sting View Post
    Medium-Chain Triglycerides (MCTs): The fat that makes you lose fat |*Smart Publications

Is this correct as most will say, over consumption of calories do make you fat?

The first time i tried VLC but not counting calories i didn't lose weight, 2nd time on VLC i didn't eat enough calories, just wondering others thoughts on MCTs vs saturated fats?
    Utter misinformation.

MCT's aren't used structurally like LCT's. When you consume MCT's, they go directly to the liver and are used as energy. Do you know what else does that?

Alcohol.

When you consume alcohol, fat metabolism is put on hold. You stop burning stored fats until the alcohol is gone, and any dietary fat you consume alongside that fat is stored as fat since it cannot be metabolized. This is what happens when you eat MCT's as well. Because they're not stored as fat, everything else you eat alongside it is. You stop burning fat, you store all the fats and carbs alongside it until the MCT's are burnt out of your system. They are the very definition of empty calories. Yes, they're advantageous in the sense that they boost your metabolic rate, but do you know what else does that, too?

Sugar. In about the same proportion.

Spooning MCT's into your mouth is like spooning sugar into your mouth or drinking vodka. Lots of calories, no nutrition, fat metabolism is put on hold til they're out of your system and you store the fat you eat along with it. There is no way to get around excess caloric consumption. At least with LCT's and sugars there is a chance of some of the calories will break off and be used for muscular and skeletal repair. With MCT's that really isn't the case. They're just fuel.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 06-14-2013 at 09:53 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Utter misinformation.

MCT's aren't used structurally like LCT's. When you consume MCT's, they go directly to the liver and are used as energy. Do you know what else does that?

Alcohol.

When you consume alcohol, fat metabolism is put on hold. You stop burning stored fats until the alcohol is gone, and any dietary fat you consume alongside that fat is stored as fat since it cannot be metabolized. This is what happens when you eat MCT's as well. Because they're not stored as fat, everything else you eat alongside it is. You stop burning fat, you store all the fats and carbs alongside it until the MCT's are burnt out of your system. They are the very definition of empty calories. Yes, they're advantageous in the sense that they boost your metabolic rate, but do you know what else does that, too?

Spooning MCT's into your mouth is like spooning sugar into your mouth or drinking vodka. Lots of calories, no nutrition, fat metabolism is put on hold til they're out of your system and you store the fat you eat along with it. There is no way to get around excess caloric consumption. At least with LCT's and sugars there is a chance of some of the calories will break off and be used for muscular and skeletal repair. With MCT's that really isn't the case. They're just fuel.
    This is taken from the article:

A study at the School of Dietetics and Human Nutrition, McGill University, Quebec, Canada measured the effects that a 28-day diet rich in MCTs versus a diet rich in LCTs had on 24 overweight men. At the end of the study the men who consumed the diet high in MCTs lost more upper body fat than the men who consumed the diet high in LCTs. There was also a trend toward greater loss of whole-body fat with the MCTs. The researchers concluded that MCTs could be an aid in the prevention of obesity because they help stimulate weight loss

Since using coconut oil I have had exactly the same results as above, when I was spooning sugary crap in my mouth I was fat. I'd sooner trust in my real results than some scientific article you have found on the internet.

richard is offline Senior Member
    MCT oil consumption raises the carbs you can eat while remaining in ketosis, if you are on a KD.

Fat normally has to be packaged by the lymphatic system in the gut and turned into tiny micro globules which are sent into your bloodstream.

MCTs bypass this route, and transport through into the liver directly to be metabolized.

sting is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Utter misinformation.

Alcohol.

ChocoTaco369 any links to your info?

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    This is taken from the article:

Since using coconut oil I have had exactly the same results as above, when I was spooning sugary crap in my mouth I was fat. I'd sooner trust in my real results than some scientific article you have found on the internet.
    Since winter has been over, I have lost a significant amount of fat. Therefore, winter causes fat gain and spring and summer cause fat loss.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast