Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MCTs cannot make you fat!? page 3

sting is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Choco can you explain a bit more on coconut oil (medium chain fatty acids) those links you posted only mention them as Empty calories compared to your first post.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sting View Post
    Choco can you explain a bit more on coconut oil (medium chain fatty acids) those links you posted only mention them as Empty calories compared to your first post.
    I'm not sure what do you mean. Coconut oil is only around 60-65% MCT's. The rest are LCT's - mostly palmitic and stearic acid SFA's with some MUFA (in this case oleic acid) and very little PUFA (linoleic acid). You can't naturally eat just MCT's.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

In your first post ITT you said twice "but do you know what else does that, too?" can you elaborate a bit on these?

Every respected blog, well you know what i mean, i have read say the opposite to what your saying, just wondering if you can explain your points?

not saying your wrong just that i'm newbie

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    I like MCTs when "fasting". I'll have a teaspoon or two with my coffee, along with some half&half. I "feel" like it reduces my hunger and keeps me alert if I have 2 coffees like this during the day. (probably 100 calories of mostly fat per cup.) Now, this "feeling" could be 100% placebo, but I don't really care. It works and I'm never hungry, so that's enough for me.

Adding MCTs to a weight loss regiment without reducing calories in another area is just silly.

In your first post ITT you said twice "but do you know what else does that, too?" can you elaborate a bit on these?

Every respected blog, well you know what i mean, i have read say the opposite to what your saying, just wondering if you can explain your points?
    Your body burns things in "preference." You're always burning fat and glucose to a degree, but proportions vary wildly.
    Alcohol takes preference since it is a toxin. If you consume alcohol, it goes straight to your liver and converts into a fuel source called acetates. These aren't very efficient. Try jogging after a few beers. I could run 3-4 miles right now very easily, but after a few beers I can't run 3-4 blocks without being able to catch my breath.

Your body burns glucose preferentially over dietary fat. It's important to note that carbs aren't inherently fattening unless you eat close to 0g of fat a day (<10% total calories from fat, which virtually no one does). When you eat carbohydrate and insulin levels increase, you dramatically increase the glucose-to-fat ratio that you burn. Essentially, you mostly burn sugar as fuel and the dietary fat you eat alongside the carbohydrate is stored. When you eat a cheeseburger, it's the burger fat and cheese fat being stored as fat, not the carbs in the bun. You'll burn them preferentially, until your insulin levels decline, in which case you slowly start burning more fat again.

MCT's are burnt preferentially over LCT's. They get immediate attention in your liver to be burnt as a fuel source, so for the time being the LCT's are put mostly on the "back burner" (i.e. stored) until you burn up the MCT's. This is what happens with sugar and alcohol. So yes, technically MCT's don't really make us fat...but using that same logic, neither does carbohydrate or alcohol, but rather the fat makes us fat. In reality, it's just an excess of calories making us fat, and there are no ways around this.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Utter misinformation.

MCT's aren't used structurally like LCT's. When you consume MCT's, they go directly to the liver and are used as energy. Do you know what else does that?

Alcohol.

When you consume alcohol, fat metabolism is put on hold. You stop burning stored fats until the alcohol is gone, and any dietary fat you consume alongside that fat is stored as fat since it cannot be metabolized. This is what happens when you eat MCT's as well. Because they're not stored as fat, everything else you eat alongside it is. You stop burning fat, you store all the fats and carbs alongside it until the MCT's are burnt out of your system. They are the very definition of empty calories. Yes, they're advantageous in the sense that they boost your metabolic rate, but do you know what else does that, too?
    What does it do?

What is the difference between consuming coconut oil, or swapping that amount with saturated fat or carbs/protein when consuming say a diet of 2500 calories a day.

I'm not sure just asking, wouldn't coconut oil be better than extra carbs or protein replacing coconut oil since coconut does not increase insulin which at the same time keeps you fuller and more satisfied?

Replacing the coconut oil amount with protein or carbs would only increase insulin, carbs also burn off quicker meaning your hungry in a few hours again.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    That is interesting the one study that showed obese men losing upper body fat. I presume the upper body fat is either the bad abdominal fat or the mooby hormonally whacked fat or both. There is probably something about MCT that helped their hormones. It's probably worthwhile for people to use coconut oil in place of other fats just for whatever beneficial properties it might confer.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

What does it do?

What is the difference between consuming coconut oil, or swapping that amount with saturated fat or carbs/protein when consuming say a diet of 2500 calories a day.

I'm not sure just asking, wouldn't coconut oil be better than extra carbs or protein replacing coconut oil since coconut does not increase insulin which at the same time keeps you fuller and more satisfied?

Replacing the coconut oil amount with protein or carbs would only increase insulin, carbs also burn off quicker meaning your hungry in a few hours again.
    No. Extra carbs and protein have potential to be stored as lean muscle mass. MCT's are just empty fuel. It'll just take you out of a fat burning state. Coconut oil is advantageous if you have thyroid issues, low body temperature and to displace PUFA, or provide quick energy if you're going on a long hike or something, but honestly eating coconut oil by the spoonful is like eating white sugar by the spoonful.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123