Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I eating too much or not enough? page

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member

Am I eating too much or not enough?

Primal Fuel
    Hey everyone. I keep getting this feeling sometimes like I am eating too much food because I am making up for loss of grains and other times I feel like I am not eating enough. I am trying to get lean.

I am 6'1" and weight 232lbs.

For breakfast I'll have 4-5 whole large eggs cooked with 2 tablespoons of grass fed butter, a 4 oz sirloin tip and 2 cups of raw spinach.

For lunch I'll have a 5 oz piece of fish cooked with 1 tablespoon of EVCO with some steamed broccoli and carrots.

For a snack I'll have 87 grams of almonds or macadamia nuts with a veggie of some sort.

For dinner I'll have a 6 oz piece of chicken cooked in 1 tablespoon of EVCO and a huge salad with some EVOO and ACV.

I feel satisfied after I eat, but I still get this feeling like I am eating too much fats. Is it because I am still adjusting to this new way of eating and the old me keeps wanting to go lower fat? HAs anyone else felt this way when they first started?
    Last edited by Paleo0731; 06-12-2013 at 10:39 PM.

Mikee5 is offline Senior Member
    Coconut oil is EXTREMELY calorie and fat dense, maybe you should cut down? All that coconut oil must be already 50% of your cals. Otherwise, this seems fine. Maybe you need more protein for a guy your height and weight, eat your steak.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleo0731 View Post
    HAs anyone else felt this way when they first started?
    Probably 70% of people, sure.

What you have looks fine. Have you tried tracking it with a food calculator to see how much you're really eating? You don't have to do so daily, but just to see.

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivanthe View Post
    Probably 70% of people, sure.

What you have looks fine. Have you tried tracking it with a food calculator to see how much you're really eating? You don't have to do so daily, but just to see.
    It's not long before you go from worrying about eating too much fat to worrying if you're eating enough fat

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Wait a few weeks then weigh/measure yourself. That's the only way to know if your body is getting too much calories or not.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

I weighed myself upon waking before drinking any water. I am at 229.6 lbs.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    This is just my opinion but it looks like you spend your day eating and digesting. I used to do the same and I was always thinking about eating something, preparing foods for my family, etc. Very stressing ... so I adapted to a super high fat very low carb diet for a while, which helped me reprogram my meal timing and now, I eat one meal a day after work (around 6pm). I make sure I eat nutritious stuff, etc, not counting anything. I tend to lower fat and up the carbs lately because on one meal a day, I certainly do not feel like eating 80% of my cal as fat. So potatoes are more often on the menu and extra fat is restricted to cooking grease (butter, duck fat, sometimes lard or tallow). Fat from natural foods (fish, meat, eggs) is most welcome and I don't bother counting anything at all. I just eat the fish / meat / eggs until I feel satisfied.

Example, yesterday I had
    - 2 thin slices of Italian ham (high in protein, moderate in fat, no carb)
    - a big tablespoon of liver paté and wild pig terrine which only contain protein and natural fat
    - 1 cup of arugula salad with balsamic vinegar and a Tbsp of EVOO
    - 2 cups of oven baked "French fries" (very low fat, only used a thin coating of melted duck fat prior to baking the potato wedges, which I peel and cut myself by the way)
    - 2 fried mackerel filets
    - 2 fried eggs
    - 2 slices of melon and 1 cup of home-made banana smoothie with blueberries / strawberries / vanilla / carrots / avocado
    - And maybe 15g of dark chocolate sweetened with xylitol instead of normal sugar.

I also liberally salted my food to taste.

So you see that the only extra "refined" fat comes from frying fish and eggs with a bit of butter, and you can maybe count the chocolate as added refined fat.

I felt completely full after that ... this was a really typical day where I do not eat at all until diner. I commute 20miles to/from work by bike, which gives me the opportunity to add some sprints. When I go back home, I do a quick pull-up / chin-up / push-up session and a few burpees, not to have a serious workout but to shake off the "work lint" (I am a s/w dev in a big company, I stand all day long in front of 3 screens, which sucks but is better than sitting all day long).
    Last edited by dkJames; 06-13-2013 at 03:33 AM.

The diet you are following is just great and i think you are not consuming any extra fat out of the food you are eating. Remember a little amount of fat is also necessary for the functioning of the body. Most of the people tend to forget that.

My totals

4 whole large eggs- 280 calories
    4oz top sirloin steak- 211
    2 tablespoons kerry gold- 200
    2 cups spinach (dry)- 14

5 oz fish- 120
    1 tablespoon of EVCO- 120
    Steamed broccoli and carrots- 70

87 grams unroasted unsalted almonds- 150
    Veggies- 35

6 oz chicken breast- 270 w/skin-370(?)
    1 tablespoon EVCO- 125
    Big salad- 80
    1 tablespoon EVOO w/ RACV- 120

Totals: 1,715

Looking at my totals, I think I am not eating enough. I am 229lbs, but I have a good amount of muscle on me and I am broad.
    Last edited by Paleo0731; 06-13-2013 at 04:04 AM.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Looks like your total is on the low side of things for your height and weight.
    Not sure how you are built up ... are you obese with excess fat ? If not, you should up your total cal. It also depends on your workouts and sleep / stress level.

If you are obese with excess body fat to lose, you can try either a ketogenic diet which is easy and satisfying until you get close to your ideal weight, or a low fat diet which I hear will not be as easy in terms of hunger control and satisfaction.

Did you read my food intake above ? I am 5'9'' and 143 lbs.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast