Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Biology educators page 4

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by MaceyUK View Post
    Carbdodger...why don't you read your sig? I don't know how you can be appalled when you weren't there? I am aware that protein can cause an insulin release and a rise in blood sugar if it's metabolically altered. Why do some people on here try to put words into my mouth and twist the ones I do use to paint a picture that seems to fit the one in their heads? Very disappointing.
    Yeah, I actually think you've been a bit unfairly hammered here. Everyone is commenting on "diabetes" without clarification of what type we are discussing so I think there is a disconnect regarding the message. You should be teaching the kids about the different types of diabetes. Then expound on why fat is a suitable and useful substitute as energy source for many of them that could greatly improve blood sugar stability. Of course it goes without saying (well maybe it doesn't) that those who are insulin dependent certainly have to monitor changes very carefully to assure proper dosing when making any significant dietary change. So YES I agree get them thinking outside the CW box and biology teachers are an excellent profession to do this. Its really right up your alley
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-14-2013 at 06:49 PM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brookesam View Post
    This is pretty much right. I want to add that type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease. In simple terms, the immune system attacks the pancreas and that's why it stops producing insulin.
    In this vein for those wanting to geek out a bit type I diabetes is associated with HLA marker DR4, DR3, and DR2. For bonus points guess what other diseases are associated with these markers? Here is a list if your interested....

Spondyloarthropathies
    Ankylosing spondylitis B27
    Reiter‟s syndrome B27
    Acute anterior uveitis B27
    Reactive arthritis (Yersinia, Salmonella, Shigella, Chlamydia) B27
    Collagen-Vascular Diseases
    Rheumatoid arthritis DR4
    Sjogren‟s syndrome DR3
    Systemic lupus erythematosus
    Caucasian
    Japanese
    DR3
    DR2
    Autoimmune Gut and Skin
    Gluten sensitive enteropathy (celiac disease) DR3
    Chronic active hepatitis DR3
    Dermatitis herpetiformis DR3
    Autoimmune Endocrine
    Type I Diabetes Mellitus DR4
    DR3
    DR2
    Hyperthyroidism (Graves‟) B8
    DR3
    Adrenal insufficiency DR3
    Autoimmune Neurologic
    Multiple sclerosis DR2

So someone with type I diabetes has a greater disposition to these other associated disorders along the same markers. Not an automatic 100% thing mind you.... just a greater disposition.

Owen is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yeah, I actually think you've been a bit unfairly hammered here. Everyone is commenting on "diabetes" without clarification of what type we are discussing so I think there is a disconnect regarding the message. You should be teaching the kids about the different types of diabetes. Then expound on why fat is a suitable and useful substitute as energy source for many of them that could greatly improve blood sugar stability. Of course it goes without saying (well maybe it doesn't) that those who are insulin dependent certainly have to monitor changes very carefully to assure proper dosing when making any significant dietary change. So YES I agree get them thinking outside the CW box and biology teachers are an excellent profession to do this. Its really right up your alley
    Exactly what I was thinking, we're all very knowledgeable (apart from me), surely a biology teacher aiming to educate chilldren and young adults on diabetes ought to be getting our support!

Mutton is offline Senior Member
    I think the whole point here is more about popular concepts and conventional wisdom being wrong from time to time. Which any primal sympathizer should understand! And the deeper problem of educational curriculums forcibly spreading misinformation. Which of course opens all kinds of debates, but more than anything illustrates the importance of making sure education standards are both continuously challenged as well as allowed to be diverse, which is almost a contradiction and not something I would care to be in charge of...

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    thank you for the considered responses to this thread. I believe that teachers have a duty to students to encourage their curiosity with a healthy sprinkling of scepticism. We don't want a nation of drones. CW has a huge head start but the internet has a huge part to play in the awakening of the masses from their slumber. Marx said that religion was the opiate of the masses but were he alive today he would probably have to lump in junk food and shiny technology.
    I aim to encourage students to read and find out for themselves, unfortunately many lack the skills or the motivation.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    it certainly wasn't my intention to upset you and maybe I read that line in such a way that I misinterpreted the information due to general grumpiness from extreme pain caused by a badly broken tooth.
    I have just had an emergency removal of the offending gnasher and have returned to my normal equanimous self so would like to apologise for my ill considered, rash comment.
    I should have been more sympathetic considering I am in a similar position myself being tied into only giving approved NHS advice .
    sorry
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Thank you Dodger. I hope that we have plenty of common ground and I am happy to have my opinion altered by your personal wisdom and experiences

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Guys. We're friends here. Nix the blergleberble.

M.

awok677 is online now Senior Member
    ah well, my reading of MaceyUK's initial post was that instead of telling his class that once you have diabetes, the only treatment is to eat a 'healthy' diet consisting of plenty of carbs and to inject as much insulin as it takes to control the resulting blood sugar, (which is presumably what the curriculum says) he wanted to make them aware of an alternative - which would be not to eat the carb-heavy 'healthy' diet, but to eat fewer carbs and as a result, presumably/hopefully require less insulin. I didn't read it as - don't eat carbs, then you won't need insulin at all.

No - I would not be a teacher, no matter what you paid me!

ETA: I composed this before seeing the later responses, so wasn't meaning to stir up things after they'd settled down - sorry.
    Last edited by awok677; 06-16-2013 at 09:01 AM.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234