Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Biology educators page 3

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    This is a complicated issue and you should read more about it but it sounds like you need to improve your basic understanding of diabetes. You are missing some fundamental knowledge, for example you obviously aren't aware that excess protein acts metabolically just as a carbohydrate does resulting in a similar blood sugar elevation albeit a slower one. so your ham and eggs isn't a miracle meal and you aren't going to be insulin or medication free eating it.
    this is where a lot of diabetics trip themselves up when going low carb.
    it can also be an easy trip from ketosis to ketoacedosis for a diabetic who gets dehydrated from ketosis and has a high blood sugar from protein. ketoacedosis can be fatal quite easily.
    it isn't an easy way to follow either, there is a lot of tracking, monitoring and checking to get it right and it is simply too complicated for some people to entertain or practice.
    I was quite appalled at your ill-considered teaching to be honest, and your information was as poor as conventional thinking - just a part of the picture based on opinion not the whole information that a diabetic needs to make an informed decision.
    I note that none of your kids is currently diabetic but any one of could be at some point. Its actually a shame you don't have a switched on, mouthy, type 1 in there as they probably know their profile well enough to have challenged you about the protein and also mentioned blood sugar rise due to non food sources such as hunger, exercise, menstruation and stress.
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 06-14-2013 at 12:52 PM.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Read this Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal ... - Richard K. Bernstein - Google Books

Actually there is a 2011 version so I meant to link that, but my google fu is up for the day and I'm off to cook some spare ribs.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-14-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Can I weigh in here with my total ignorance and ask a question - as far as I understood it, type 1 diabetes requires insulin treatment regardless of the pateint's diet (although low carb may have some beneficial effects) but type II diabetes has been known to be cured by low carb eating in some patients as their body was able to reverse the damage.

Is this correct?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Can I weigh in here with my total ignorance and ask a question - as far as I understood it, type 1 diabetes requires insulin treatment regardless of the pateint's diet (although low carb may have some beneficial effects) but type II diabetes has been known to be cured by low carb eating in some patients as their body was able to reverse the damage.

Is this correct?
    Pretty much unless someone is interested in writing a blog post to refute it

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Carbdodger...why don't you read your sig? I don't know how you can be appalled when you weren't there? I am aware that protein can cause an insulin release and a rise in blood sugar if it's metabolically altered. Why do some people on here try to put words into my mouth and twist the ones I do use to paint a picture that seems to fit the one in their heads? Very disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by MaceyUK View Post
    couldn't bring myself to tell them that it was a good idea to inject insulin after a meal with carbs like it suggested in the book.
    so you basically told them just eat the carbs and no insulin? that's certainly how it reads to someone who wasn't there.
    I'm not an advocate of carbs for my diabetes as you may know but if people eat them they have to treat them.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member

Is this correct?
    I'll reply just on one point I have a preoccupation with, not quite a blog post. ;-) Diabetes is kind of a chicken and egg issue: high blood sugar damages the cells that make insulin, which makes blood sugar higher, so however you get that ball rolling away you go. The cells that are dead don't ever get un-dead, and by the time someone is diagnosed with diabetes (of any type) generally more than half are dead (the bizarrely specific textbook number is 64%).

So it kind of bothers me (but I think this may be a very individual thing- it doesn't bother a lot of people) to say that diabetes is "reversed" or "cured" (though people are working on transplants and stem cell stuff to truly to do that). In my opinion it would be more accurate to say that the person has diabetes which is controlled with diet.

I sort of feel the same way about my obesity. When I am thin I still "have" obesity (and there have been articles in medical journals about this, because diseases associated with obesity are sometimes missed in people who have lost weight because the diagnostician loses sign, literally I guess, of the obesity), it's just been successfully controlled.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Is this correct?
    Unless there isnt much initial damage to the beta cells its a reversal rather than a cure. A diabetic who is a recent developer has a better chance of cure than someone whose been diabetic longer. I probably wont be able to cure mine but have achieved a 'normal' glucose profile. If I go back to the carb based diet i might be a bit better off from the beta cell recovery but eventually will be 'diabetic' again.
    This approach should be explained to the newly diagnosed as they have the best chance of maximising the benefits. The carb approach should be 2nd line advice for those who cant or dont want to manage low carb

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Ok so here it is, I had to go and look at some videos and clear this up, for myself:

Type 1 Diabetes: Malfunction of the pancreas, the body cannot make enough insulin. The causes are not dietary related and the patient will always require insulin injections. It can begin in childhood (and often does)

Type II Diabetes: This is where the cells of the body become resistant to its own insulin due to long periods of time where the patient has consumed high amounts of carbs and sugars. THIS is the type which is related to dietary concerns such as the ones addressed by this website. THIS is the type of diabetes that can be prevented, and treated via a low carb diet, especially if spotted early, as has been mentioned.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ok so here it is, I had to go and look at some videos and clear this up, for myself:

Type 1 Diabetes: Malfunction of the pancreas, the body cannot make enough insulin. The causes are not dietary related and the patient will always require insulin injections. It can begin in childhood (and often does)
    This is pretty much right. I want to add that type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease. In simple terms, the immune system attacks the pancreas and that's why it stops producing insulin.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast