Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Biology educators page 2

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by awok677 View Post
    Hah, excellent. Our science department were a good laugh generally. They let me boil up my hamster (he was already dead) in the back of one of the chem labs - I was trying to get a jointed skeleton. And we knew not to touch their stock of beer in the bio lab fridge.
    Thanks for the clarification did it work? (One of my colleagues has just buried a duck to get a skeleton from it)

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
    Thanks for the clarification did it work? (One of my colleagues has just buried a duck to get a skeleton from it)
    Nope, the instructions on the enzyme said to simmer it, so after skinning and removing most of the muscle, I set it up in the fume cupboard. All I got was boiled hamster. We figured out afterwards the 'simmer' probably didn't mean actually heat, but just let it bubble away. After all, enzymes are proteins, right, which denature above 40-odd degrees. Oooops. I had better luck with another hamster in the compost heap - nice clean bones, although all the ligaments went so it was disarticulated.

When the current hamster pops his clogs, I'm considering trying to preserve his pelt - kind of an action man-sized hearth rug!
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Wouldn't insulin-dependent diabetics also need to supplement if they are experiencing physiological insulin resistance? Even ketogenic and VLC diets can sustain high blood glucose levels. Not all insulin-dependent diabetics can reverse their diabetes with dietary modifications, so foods like muesli are only one example of when you might need to supplement. I am not on insulin, but I have experienced very high postprandial BG on very low-carb meals. I believe otzi has written about similar experiences.
    I don't follow...if you ate a low carb meal whilst in ketosis I really don't see how you could get high blood sugar unless you misread the label of some food or didn't know its nutritional content...it isn't possible so long as your glycogen levels have been depleted. Are you recommending the muesli and carb plan for diabetics as their best option then?

Quote Originally Posted by awok677 View Post
    when the current hamster pops his clogs, i'm considering trying to preserve his pelt - kind of an action man-sized hearth rug! :d
    lmao!

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaceyUK View Post
    I don't follow...if you ate a low carb meal whilst in ketosis I really don't see how you could get high blood sugar unless you misread the label of some food or didn't know its nutritional content...it isn't possible so long as your glycogen levels have been depleted. Are you recommending the muesli and carb plan for diabetics as their best option then?
    I didn't say I was in ketosis, I simply said low-carb meals have resulted in high postprandial BG for me. You can have high fasting and, subsequently, high PP BG in ketosis or just general low-carb dieting if you are experiencing physiological insulin resistance. Perhaps you aren't familiar with it, which is what my first post was about. Does Eating a Low Carb Diet Cause Insulin Resistance? | Mark's Daily Apple

Your last sentence is a straw man. I don't have any specific dietary recommendations for all diabetics. Each one is going to be individual. Your advice to your students is dangerous; if a diabetic is insulin-dependent, they should know how to handle it regardless of what they choose to eat. Just because I would never intentionally start a kitchen fire doesn't mean I shouldn't know how to extinguish it should it occur.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Wouldn't insulin-dependent diabetics also need to supplement if they are experiencing physiological insulin resistance? Even ketogenic and VLC diets can sustain high blood glucose levels. Not all insulin-dependent diabetics can reverse their diabetes with dietary modifications, so foods like muesli are only one example of when you might need to supplement. I am not on insulin, but I have experienced very high postprandial BG on very low-carb meals. I believe otzi has written about similar experiences.
    Yes j3nn, I have type 1 diabetes. I did LC and VLC for a few months. At the end of the day my insulin doses were close to the same as if I had been eating carbs at each meal. But the big kicker for me was that I had to give insulin boluses to correct the high blood sugars from insulin resistance.

As a type 1 diabetic, I would rather bolus for a banana at my meal than have to fight insulin resistance and have high blood sugars.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    You know, this thread made me think back to my college bio 1010 teacher. I can't remember her name, but I do remember it was a sh*tty semester (very rainy, house kept flooding). However, I remember this was the first time I'd been taught bio from a molecular level, and it was when I learned that cholesterol makes cell membranes.

Now that I think about it, she might have been subtly hinting that cholesterol was not bad for us, since she made a point to emphasize the "vital" nature of it for cellular function.

M.

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like your Biology teacher had his head screwed on.
    Huh, just did a google. I knew he'd done a couple of books with Hamlyn - small paperback in 1975 and then an animal encyclopedia in the 80s, turns out he did a couple more in the 90s ... and my book collection has just grown again. At least they're cheapo 2nd hand ones.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    If you are diabetic! PLEASE read up on how diabetes works before continuing the snide comments to children.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

I really don't understand why you are suggesting that I am making snide comments? How did you get this idea into your head? I am suggesting that the best way forward for a diabetic is to reduce the carbohydrate that they consume rather than doing as usual and injecting. I believe that this matches with the science. there are no students in the class with diabetes and to suggest that I would insensitively trample all over their feelings if there were does me a disservice. In the UK the National Health Service is content to treat the symptoms of disease rather than the cause and this is typical of that attitude. I educate the students in my care to be sceptical of conventional wisdom, I do not claim to have the answers to every individuals case.
    Would you prefer that I lie to children? Do you really believe that there is no way that the food choices of diabetics affects their outcomes? If you think that diabetes and metabolic syndrome are a fait accompli I suggest you are probably posting in the wrong community. Of course some cases are different. I am happy for you to demonstrate to me how eating carbs is helpful to diabetics and how they are better off following governmental instructions. Post some links to the research and I'll get myself up to speed with the latest thinking.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast