Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Max's Uncreative Journal Title page 9

max219 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    <3 Thanks Zach.
    Last edited by max219; 09-18-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Ran a 10k (6.2 mile) obstacle race today. Only ran about 4-5 miles every 2-3 days for the last few weeks, and ended up getting 6th overall today. Felt pretty tough. I ran about 47 minutes which is around 7:30 mile pace including the obstacles. Was pretty fun though.

Besides the race been following a pretty strict Peat inspired diet, with a few higher fat days a week. This past weekend was pretty much a free for all though, especially with the amount of food I was eating. I did manage to keep PUFA pretty low though (had lots of pizza).

Although I leaned out a bunch since August, I was feeling pretty shitty and out of it on some days (at around 2700-3000 calories a day). I was peeing a ton also. I think I lost enough fat as I wanted to since the end of "eating for heat," and from now on I plan to just focus on strength. I will keep eating Peat inspired and relatively lower fat, but I will also stop being obsessive about it and I will stop tracking calories daily. I guess I'll end up around 3000 calories a day anyway, but probably a bit more most days.

My goal is to keep getting stronger and avoid putting on unnecessary fat. I don't plan to do any more obstacle races until the spring, so the focus is on strength. I planned out my own program. It's basically a four day split which hits 4 lifts heavy (deadlift, shoulder/bench press, bent over row/hang power clean, and squat), which also touches on other parts of the body each day. I'll try to do sprints and plyometrics once a week (usually on squat day), and broad or vertical jumps once a week. Each day will include some calisthenics (pushups, pullups, chin-ups, dips), some core strength (L-sits, planks, leg raises etc), and some handstand work. Any aerobic work I do will be what I have to for coaching, an odd day that I actually want to, or some sport I want to play.

Hopefully it's not over-training haha. I'll start tomorrow.

Update at end of day. I ended up binge eating to discomfort today, first time in a few months. Probably because I was eating pizza and chocolate earlier in the day, which made me feel like eating ice cream and shit at home. Also, the race probably made me feel like overeating. I probably ate over 4k, maybe close to 5k calories.
    Last edited by max219; 09-29-2013 at 09:29 PM.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Hey Max, don't worry about the binge. As wise people have said to me: It's only a binge if you call it a binge. I still have days where I eat 4-5K cals, but I don't give a shit anymore

Sorry to hear you felt bad eating this way. What do you think caused it?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

moluv is offline Senior Member
    Confession time- I've been lurking your journal. Commenting so I can follow easier.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Hey Max, don't worry about the binge. As wise people have said to me: It's only a binge if you call it a binge. I still have days where I eat 4-5K cals, but I don't give a shit anymore

Sorry to hear you felt bad eating this way. What do you think caused it?
    Quote Originally Posted by moluv View Post
    Confession time- I've been lurking your journal. Commenting so I can follow easier.

Thanks for reading, I haven't even checked this since I posted last week. As for feeling bad for overeating, it was mostly due to physical discomfort. I probably over ate the fatty foods since I was pretty low on fat for a few weeks in a row.

Anyway, since the last update I have been eating more sugar and less starch each day. Protein is still high. I probably eat higher starch 2 times a week. One day is lots of white rice or potatoes, and another day is pizza. My fat is more moderate but all saturated (around 40-70 grams a day).

I stopped focusing on fat loss and stopped counting macros and calories. I'm just focusing on becoming more athletic and to improve my youth hormones for now. When the time comes for fat loss I will count calories again and do some fat burning workouts.

I also ran an "alumni 5k" race at my old high school. I ran an 18:48 which is roughly 6:01 mile pace for 3.1 miles. Not bad for me considering I haven't really been training for running. (Not quite 5:55 pace for 13.1 miles like I did in May either haha). I don't really plan to run much if at all from now until the spring. (I've been looking forward to not having to train though the winter). I will be biking a lot though, mostly for transportation.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    think your PM inbox is full broseph
    nihil

your inbox is always full man, you must be popular. my reply:

Try to split the pills, and gauge to check for signs of t3(warmth, energy etc) some desiccated thyroid has the t3, often it's removed

You can try a testosterone boosting stack(sarcosine + d-aspartic acid), and anastrozole. As well as the standard Peat things like aspirin, carrots, vitamin e, thyroid and progesterone.
    nihil

Hahaha I just never delete any old messages.

Sounds good. So maybe half a pill a day to start and wait for signs?

I am already on the raw carrot salad and vitamin e. I'll look into aspirin after I add in thyroid. (I don't wanna begin taking all my supps at the same time). I've never heard of a testosterone boosting stack. Is it natural, or like steroids?

yeah, that'd be good. work up if you notice anything gradually.

it's natural, sarcosine is the intermediate in conversion of choline to glycine, and a byproduct of glycine breakdown and it's found in food like eggs and turkey in small amounts. d-aspartic acid is an amino acid present inneuro-endocrine tissues, and D-aspartic acid is synthesized when aspartate converts L-aspartic acid into D-aspartic acid in your balls which signals the release of testosterone

the other is an aromatase inhibitor.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 11-25-2013 at 07:49 AM.
    nihil

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I guess I'll update this.

I've been really strict following the Peat guidelines since mid August. I had been leaning out throughout September, and by October I kinda stopped caring about leaning a bit cause I was happy with where I was at (after getting chubby over the summer). My focus was lifting and getting strong, and although I had been plateauing with the upper body lifts, my squat and dead lift had been improving. I was squatting 5x5 170 (and did 1 at 195), and did 275 on the trap bar dead lift.

October and November were very strict Peat. I ended up logging my calories and noticed I hovered around 3,000 calories. On lifting days I ended up eating 3,500 or even more, and non-lifting days were between 2,800-3,200 (all by feel). My diet was low in fat, and high in protein and carbs. I lowered the starch, upped the sugar, and kept any fat I ate mostly saturated.

Despite eating these high calories (not sure what I was eating in the summer though), I have been leaning out even more (probably VERY slowly). The week before I stopped lifting(which I'll get into soon) I started weighing myself again, and noticed I hover between 146-148 pounds. I attribute the previous fat loss to the high sugar/high nutrients and low fat. The diet looks like this - lots of OJ, fruit, added sugars/honey/maple syrup/mexican coke, some white rice (either a small serving daily or a few times a week),potatoes or bread if they are there. For protein I eat a ton of 1% cottage cheese, some low fat yogurt, shellfish(mussels,shrimp,oysters,scallops), and lean fish. I basically don't eat meat anymore, only if I am eating out an it's almost always beef. I eat liver once a week, and oysters 2-3 times a week. Any fat is coconut oil and the fat from the 1% milk and cheese. I use salt liberally. I drink about 2 cups of coffee a day. I eat about 3 tbsp of gelatin daily. I also incorporated a daily carrot salad. I average 400 grams of sugar, ~200 or more grams of protein, and 25-40 grams of fat daily.

I also supplement vitamin e 400IU 1-2 times a week, and started with zinc 50mg the other day for when I don't eat oysters. I bought some raw thyroid, but am holding out on that right now. I don't notice anything from the supplements yet. I basically just take E when I know I'll be eating some PUFA, and I hear zinc helps with libido.

Aside from leaning out, I feel really great. I have trouble falling asleep sometimes, but sleep like a baby most nights once I do sleep. Digestion is great and energy is high. I really enjoy the diet and find it easily sustainable. Here is a pic of me two days, November 27th. I'm flexing slightly.

Another random note - despite eating Peat I still feel I have higher levels of estrogen than I would like. I seem to store body fat around my breasts/ass despite being relatively lean elsewhere. My voice isn't necessarily deep either.

This is gonna be a long post haha. For lifting, two weeks ago while doing deadlifts (6 x 3 at 265 on the trap bar), I felt like someone stabbed my lower right abdominal on the last set. The pain was sharp and quick. I continued doing other exercises. The next few days though, my right testicle ha a dull pain. I went to the doctor and he said that I have a minor inguinal hernia. I was really bummed out cause I don't have health insurance at the moment and couldn't lift anymore until I did. I read hernia's only get worse and don't go away. The good news is though I went back for a follow up yesterday and the doc said that he didn't feel what he did last time, and it might not be a hernia. That's great news, but I do still think something is up. I won't lift heavy though til I get insurance which will be in early January hopefully.

So in the meantime I have been doing tons of body-weight exercises, and feel myself getting stronger despite not lifting heavy. I do pull ups/chin ups/neutral grip pull ups, push ups, dips, handstand pushups, body-weight squats, and biking with lots of resistance for legs. I talked to Zach, and since I will begin lifting lightly again, I think I am going to just go lift twice a week and stick with the body weight stuff. I am really getting into gymnastics, so I'll be adding in gymnastic movements (L-sits, levers, handstands etc.) in addition to the stuff I have been doing. I plan to lift twice a week - adding weight to some pullups/dips, doing lighter front/back squats and stiff leg dead-lifts, and some dumbbell bench and row and shoulder press. I'll also start doing some heavy walks and maybe practice light olympic lifts. I'll probably stray away from the strict heavy lifting 4 times a week I was doing previously. I want to be more of an overall athlete. I did an alumni race off of 8 weeks no running at all, and still had more endurance than I though. I want to be able to be fast, strong, explosive, functional, flexible, etc. I should stretch and do yoga too.

Sometimes I feel like my eating disorder comes back (especially on holidays). For example, today was thaksgiving and the whole day I though about not eating too much, or not eating too much fat, or whatever. I can grab and stop it now though. But I realize I am way past it. I got my disorder a little earlier than 5 years ago now, and I've learned a ton about nutrition, exercise, diets, eating disorders, and food since then. I learned that it's mostly about calories in and calories out, that calories out is very important and depends on a ton of things (genetics, what you eat, sleep, stress, how much you eat), and learned to keep an eye out on others who might be developing a disorder in anyway. I know that one day of overeating or crappy diet won't really make a difference in the long run. Damn I'm typing a ton, maybe I'm just bored now. I usually go back and read these randomly anyway.

Oh well hopefully that was interesting to read.
    Last edited by max219; 12-01-2013 at 06:15 PM.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast