Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Max's Uncreative Journal Title page 2

max219 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I started about a month ago, but I didn't start logging it until about 2 weeks ago. I started with the bar for some of the workouts (like the overhead press), but some felt too easy with the bar. So I started with what felt mildly challenging at the time. As of now, the bent over row and the overhead press are by far the hardest for me. Squatting, deadlfiting, and bench press I seem to be alright (and am over 115 pounds for all now).

Did you stop because you plateaued? I'm looking to gain some strength since I've always been kinda weak.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    I stopped because it was just to taxing for me. I was still trying to run and sprint 3 days a week on top of the Stronglifts workouts. On top of all that I was really fatigued because of the thyroid stuff I was going through at that time. I still work the lifts into my workouts I just don't do 5x5. It's a great program though. I might try it again in the future.

Woke up at 8:00 AM (~6 hours of sleep)today to run with a girl I train. Ran 3 slow miles, and walked a ton too. Played a few half court basketball games after work (I work at my school's fitness center). Finished the day off with 6 "sprints" (not quite a sprint but pretty hard run. Sadly I can't sprint so well after 7 years of distance running. I need to re-learn how to properly).

Ate 2 bananas and sheep cheese (Ricotta Salata), both with honey, as soon as I woke up. After working with the girl I ate 3-4 white potatoes covered with salt, maple syrup and grass fed butter. Drank coffee with 2-3 tbsp of gelatin, some half and half, and a scoop of sugar. I also ate an apple an hour later. After not eating for 8 + hours and playing ball/sprinting, I ate a whole lotta grapes with more sheep cheese, around 3 cups of white rice with more maple syrup, butter, and salt. Had a banana after and some carrots dipped in a little guacamole.

Felt great all day, lots of energy despite the lack of sleep. Also was in a great mood today.
    Last edited by max219; 06-15-2013 at 07:47 PM.

I went to the gym today to do stronglifts 5x5. Squatted 125, and not as challenging as I though it would be. Last month I tried doing a set of 115 and couldn't even. After that I benched 115, failed on the 4th set, but finished the 5th. Bent over barbell row I did 100 pounds (this is my least favorite exercise).
    I biked and walked for transportation and plan to play some basketball soon.

Eating today was pretty spontaneous because I went to my cousin's bbq after lifting. I ate a good amount of fruit and cheese at home, and a good amount of meat (mostly chicken kabobs and hamburger patties) at the barbeque. Stomach feels a bit full and uncomfortable, probably from eating such a combination all day.
    I also slept like a bum today until 11:00 AM (about 9.5 hours of sleep). Felt great though, some vivid dreams and a deep sleep.

Ok - off to walk the dog.
    Last edited by max219; 06-16-2013 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by max219 View Post
    Ate 2 bananas and sheep cheese (Ricotta Salata), both with honey, as soon as I woke up. After working with the girl I ate 3-4 white potatoes covered with salt, maple syrup and grass fed butter. Drank coffee with 2-3 tbsp of gelatin, some half and half, and a scoop of sugar. I also ate an apple an hour later. After not eating for 8 + hours and playing ball/sprinting, I ate a whole lotta grapes with more sheep cheese, around 3 cups of white rice with more maple syrup, butter, and salt. Had a banana after and some carrots dipped in a little guacamole.
    Your food sounds so good. I'm going to have to find some sheep cheese. Is the taste similar to goat cheese?

Quote Originally Posted by max219 View Post
    Bent over barbell row I did 100 pounds (this is my least favorite exercise).
    That was my least favorite too! My favorite lifts are squats, bench press and deadlifts.

Haha, my mom works at a ravioli company (go figure), but they have a lot of other stuff too. I love this cheese I feel like it's healthier since its from Italy. I've never had goat cheese, but the sheep cheese is very good. It's called Ricotta Salata.

And yea, squat, bench press, and deadlifts are where it is at. It's so nice not having to go out and run everyday anymore. Usually at this time of year I would be beginning preparation for cross country season. I would be starting to run 6-7 miles a day , looking to increase up to 10-12 a day (usually with 2 runs a day) once July, August and September roll around. How relieving it is not to now .

Don't get me wrong, I did like running and racing. It is just such a hassle to train hard for, and very draining.

You get free cheese from your mom's work?! If so, that's awesome.

Are you still running on the days you don't lift? I wasn't recovering very well from that and would stay sore. I wish I could handle more but my body doesn't always do what I want it to.

Yea, they ship it to the store she works out (the store makes pasta and dishes, they sell a bunch of other stuff though).

I haven't been running, except for a few times with my sister and a girl I train rather slowly, since I'm fulling embracing the break. Back in the season, I would do lifting 2 times a week in addition to running twice a day most days, and doing running workouts. It really destroyed me. I remember doing 10 mile runs, a lifting season, and walking home all on a 18+ hour fast a few times. I was nuts lol.

Sadly though, despite the ridiculous amount of work, doing that for 1-2 months and then tapering off makes you so much faster. Not only do you absorb all the training you've done, you also feel fresher from the decreased volume.
    Last edited by max219; 06-18-2013 at 03:23 PM.

Today I went to the gym for the 5x5. I played basketball for a few hours yesterday afternoon, so I was feeling a little sore but nothing too bad. (I also feel like I have so much energy playing basketball - without running a lot now I am all bouncy and fresh. Add to the fact I don't seem to get tired aerobically even without running for almost 7 weeks).

I did 130 pounds for the squat, a little tough but definitely do-able. The overhead shoulder press was very tough, and I failed again on the last rep of the 4th and 5th set at 85 pounds. I did the 1x5 dead-lift at 145 pounds not too bad at all, but I could see how it will get harder soon.

After lifting I jumped in my school's pool (even though I graduated I still work/workout there). Did a few (barely any) laps, but thought the whole time about the chlorine and my skin. Am I just crazy? Speaking of skin, I got like 2 hours of vitamin D soaking up the sun in my backyard yesterday.

As for the food today, drank a cup of coffee with 3 tbsp of gelatin this morning, along with sheep cheese, and a big bowl of rice krispies with half and half and honey. After walking back from the gym, I ate 3 bananas cooked in the oven plain, a can of tuna, and some turkey slices (about half a pound) from the deli my mom shops at. I also had some raw carrots. Only about 90 minutes later I was hungry again, so I just finished eating half a pound of shrimp cooked in coconut oil, and 3-4 potatoes/sweet potatoes mashed with butter, maple syrup, and extra sea salt. Also ate an apple.

I've also been trying to get to bed earlier and wake up earlier, even though I really have nothing to do in the day and usually start working in the afternoon. I just feel I should get closer to the circadian rhythm. It is pretty hard for me to sleep at midnight though, and still end up sleeping past 9 AM anyway.

Other notes since I've changed up the diet and stopped running
    Hunger - I've always been hungry when I was running, and I still feel hungry now especially on lifting days. I don't feel I can pull off 18+ hour fasts as EASILY as I could of before (I think I still can though without being unpleasant to be around!)

Temperature I used to have cold hands and feet. LIke freezing cold. Recently though I've been very warm and hot - although this could have to do with summer coming and it being hot in general. I used to be a "wear 2 layers under 2 layers of blankets" guy during the winter

Bowels - maybe too much info, but I go around 2-3 (sometimes 4) substantial times a day now (with the rare 0-1 a day maybe once a week). I used to go once a day for as long as I can remember. Also, I pee maybe 4-5 times a day, and not 10-20 times a day like I used to.

Heart Rate When I was running my heart rate was always around 52 beats per minute. Now after 6 weeks off it is still under 60 BPM. Don't know if this relates to metabolism though.

Sleep - Always was a deep sleeper. I still sleep pretty deep throughout the night, dreaming a few times a week. I notice my dreams used to be more vivid. Also, I haven't had trouble falling asleep lately (don't wanna jinx myself), and I used to have 1-2 nights a week I would just NOT fall asleep for 2-3 hours.
    Last edited by max219; 06-18-2013 at 06:32 PM.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast