Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My interesting n=1 with two simple herbs... page 2

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Sorry, not buying it. Just big brother propaganda to continue monopolizing the health care industry by bringing supplements under their jurisdiction and limiting the public and non-medical practitioners access to these items vs overpriced pharmaceutical compounds. Tumeric is not just a statin any more than eating meat just gets you protein. Whole food and herb substances are unique in their blend of natural cofactors. This can make them far more safe and IMO more effective in long term treatment than synthetic or highly reduced chemical compound.
    Exactly. If they are pining turmeric for regulation because it is a "statin" but allowing pu-erh tea to go unregulated even though it shows even stronger effects at reducing cholesterol than statins do according to several studies I've read, then this is pure bull.

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    I saw an herbalist/acupuncturist (traditional Chinese medicine) and was prescribed herbs that seemed to help ( i say "seemed" since thete were also dietary changes and acupuncture at the same time) though for different symptoms than yours. Ayurveda and TCM are long traditions, and I would recommend seeing an experienced practitioner for an assessment and prescription.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B-D View Post
    I saw an herbalist/acupuncturist (traditional Chinese medicine) and was prescribed herbs that seemed to help ( i say "seemed" since thete were also dietary changes and acupuncture at the same time) though for different symptoms than yours. Ayurveda and TCM are long traditions, and I would recommend seeing an experienced practitioner for an assessment and prescription.
    I might go and see one eventually. Probably couldn't hurt to get another opinion as well on my symptoms, even though I am feeling already so much better.

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    I just came across a citation in the book Farmacology, describing a recent trial with ayurvedic herbs to test their ability to ameliorate stress ("allostatic overload"). The herbs were: Aswaganda, 1-6g/day of crude root, or 1,000-1,500mg/day of the extract; Tulsi (or Holy Basil, or Ocimum sanctum), 800-1,200mg/day in 3 doses; and Golden Root (Rhodiola rosea), 100-500mg/day in 2-3 doses. More food (herbs) for thought here. Farmacology is a really good book, by the way--I just started another thread on it.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    I've tried a few. I had great results with Valerian Root for sleepiness for about two weeks. Then the effect tapered off and finally disappeared. As if I had become dependent or adapted to it. So I stopped it and switched to Gaia Sleep tea. That worked for another 2 weeks and is now tappering off.

This year I've planted a lot of the normal cooking herbs and they're growing beautifully. I chop them up and add them to almost every thing. But I've noted no difference other than taste.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    I've tried a few. I had great results with Valerian Root for sleepiness for about two weeks. Then the effect tapered off and finally disappeared. As if I had become dependent or adapted to it. So I stopped it and switched to Gaia Sleep tea. That worked for another 2 weeks and is now tappering off.

This year I've planted a lot of the normal cooking herbs and they're growing beautifully. I chop them up and add them to almost every thing. But I've noted no difference other than taste.
    A lot of sources I've run into say that you can "adapt" to herbs just as much as you can your diet. I've heard it suggested that because tinctures are more concentrated, it's harder to adapt to them so that's one advantage to them, however, rotating herbs is always a good idea. I've heard it suggested that many herbs you can do well on for a period of several weeks but then, maybe one week a month, you should "rest" that herb and try another for a bit. Then you can come back to the herb you were on previously and hopefully your body hasn't remained adapted to it and you can still continue to experience the effects of it. If that makes any sense.

Zach is offline Banned
    Make sure to cycle the ashwagandha, it seems to lose its power after awhile. I like to cycle it with Siberian Ginsing, usually weekly. Both have had positive effects on overall health.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    My first thought was low testosterone, which could now be back in balance - it does tend to fluctuate. Get it checked next time your feeling fatigued and not quite yourself.
    Last edited by canuck416; 06-19-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Make sure to cycle the ashwagandha, it seems to lose its power after awhile. I like to cycle it with Siberian Ginsing, usually weekly. Both have had positive effects on overall health.
    I was debating what other herbs to try in addition to the ashwagandha. I will probably continue the ashwagandha until the bottle is empty, then go on another herb until that bottle is empty... Maybe go back to the ashwagandha again afterwards.

I was thinking tulsi (holy basil to some) might be a fine choice once the ashwagandha is out since it is one of the best known of the "adaptogenic" herbs as well. I could get leaves straight and make a tisane out of it or go with a tincture again. Eleuthero root is another fine choice as well though.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    My first thought was low testosterone, which could now be back in balance - it does tend to fluctuate. Get it checked next time your feeling fatigued and not quite yourself.
    I thought this too at first, but I haven't really noticed any of the other symptoms that are typically associated with a "flagging" testosterone level.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast