Thread: Bone broth question page

Sweet Leilani is offline Senior Member

Bone broth question

Shop Now
    Hi all,

I mainly make a pork bone broth in the vein of Tonkatsu ramen broth. I know pork is not the preferred choice, but I grew up village style in the south pacific, so have always preferred pork to beef

I normally use the above to make what I call my Bulletproof Broth (as I don't drink coffee), which includes the bone broth, dashi, tumeric, white pepper, coconut oil, miso paste and seaweed sprinkles. The taste freaking roooocks!!

My question is about length of simmer. The last broth I made I simmered for 72 hours approx, whereas I had only ever gone for 24 hours previously. I noticed that the flavour was extremely minerally, which I'm sure is a good thing, but I found it a lot harder to drink. If I simmered my broth for only 24-36 hours, would I still be able to get almost as much goodness from the broth?

Cheers all and thank you for being my inspiration for healthy eating for the last 2 years (yes that's how long I've been lurking )

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Good question, I often hear that seafood and poultry are done at 20-24 hours and ruminant bones are done at 40-48 hours but I'm not sure about pork. Are you skimming the foam? That seems to be where the "off" flavors live. In your shoes I would maybe try 40-48 hours then puree more vegetables and herbs for flavor.
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

Sweet Leilani is offline Senior Member
    Cheers picklepete.

I never notice too much scum, but I will keep an extra eye out and remove any I do see. And I have been thinking about adding veggies for the last few hours for some extra depth of flavour, so I think I'll do that with the broth I have on the go at the moment

diene is offline Senior Member
    Uh oh, I've only been simmering my bone broth (beef) for 24 hours. So I've been doing it wrong this whole time? Do you not get the minerals and other nutrients out of the bone in that short a time?

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Uh oh, I've only been simmering my bone broth (beef) for 24 hours. So I've been doing it wrong this whole time? Do you not get the minerals and other nutrients out of the bone in that short a time?
    I think the extraction rate is a curve so you're probably getting the majority of them, but try a 48-hour batch sometime and see if it's thicker or tastier.
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts