Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The road to hell is paved with Victoria's Secret models... page

LauraSB is offline Senior Member

The road to hell is paved with Victoria's Secret models...

...and I am surely going there.

My 15yo DD has been the most resistant to cutting the crap out of her diet. I had kind of hoped seeing her mom get smaller by eating less crap would convince her to consider the possibility. She had been pretty bummed about the 25lbs puberty had packed on her little frame and the acne that popped up at the same time, but she just wasn't willing to give up the crappy snacks that she could eat with abandon in her childhood.

Then a couple of months ago she saw a VS model interviewed before the runway show and she said she prepared for it by going on a no carb diet. When DD asked me about the no carb diet, I tried to explain the theory that carbs make people fat as nonchalantly as possible and then seeing an opportunity I said, "Those girls have probably tried every diet there is. I imagine they know what works." I could practically hear Satan cackling. What kind of mother holds up a VS model interview as nutritional advice?!

But ever since then DD checks the carb content on everything she eats. The crappy food content of her diet is down at least 90%. I was a little worried she might starve herself, but she seems to be as incapable of that as I am. She's down 10lbs though, and her acne is nearly gone. She eats a ton of fruits and veggies, very little grain, has replaced all but 8oz of milk with plain green tea, makes sure to get at least 0.5g protein/lb of body weight, decided to try yogurt and dark chocolate for the first time in her life (and likes them). All thanks to the diet advice of a VS model. Here's to taking your victories where you find them!
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Well these people are paid to look their best, so they must know how to eat.

I don't think models are Satan, I think that's just CW in that it's impossible to be skinny and healthy (because everybody who is "healthy" by CW standards is unlikely to be skinny). These models don't eat white bread and oreos, for sure.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleen View Post

I don't think models are Satan, I think that's just CW in that it's impossible to be skinny and healthy (because everybody who is "healthy" by CW standards is unlikely to be skinny). These models don't eat white bread and oreos, for sure.
    Some of those models do indeed eat horrible diets. They are hired because they are naturally thin, then ordered to lose 10 or more pounds before their agent will get them work. Eating disorders are commonplace. Some of the girls live on cigarettes, liquor, and cocaine.

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    The treatment they go through is the pits. I guess once you're in, you can't just walk away. Maybe it's the price they feel they need to pay to live the dream. I cannot know.

M.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleen View Post

Look their best? That's debatable.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    These models don't eat white bread and oreos, for sure.
    Probably a lot also aren't eating paleo. Gonna bet just as many live off diet coke and cigarettes.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

PBNewby is offline Senior Member
    Your intentions were not to push her to be a model and, as long as your DD doesn't grow up wanting to BE a model, I don't consider you the devil :-)

All that happened here is your DD took a bit of encouragement and direction from a popular public figure. If she eats healthy and stays away from runways she will likely be OK; and you still get a chance at the pearly gates!

The VS model was simply the jump-starter here. Maybe your DD will read/research a bit more about primal, and she may even learn from you, bringing things full-circle so to speak.
    Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
    Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
    "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
    "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
    "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Perhaps see if she'd be willing to watch this photoshop video.
    Adobe Photoshop From Fat Woman To Thin Woman - Video

Those VS models might be thin in real life, but they might not be as thin as they appear. It's likely their breasts have also been enhanced with photoshop. That video shows how it's done. It's pretty eye-opening.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Perhaps see if she'd be willing to watch this photoshop video.
    Adobe Photoshop From Fat Woman To Thin Woman - Video
    Wow! That's fascinating. I'm afraid to push my luck with any more Victoria Secret weaponry though. At some point it might backfire. Fortunately she doesn't want to actually look like one of them because "they have no muscles". She's an athlete and gets a lot of positive feedback from her coaches for being unusually strong, thank goodness.

Now if one of the models gives an interview where she says the most hideous thing a girl can do is be sassy to her mother, I might have to reconsider using VS again.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Some of the girls live on cigarettes, liquor, and cocaine.
    Now we're talking!
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast