Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Daily Coffee, Stevia or Sugar in the Raw? page 2

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    nothing at all, pure black coffee.

trapperjohnme is offline Senior Member
    black, or with coconut oil, coconut milk, pastured butter, or cream

no need for sugar or artificial sweetners. I think your tastes will change with time, given a chance

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trapperjohnme View Post

no need for sugar or artificial sweetners. I think your tastes will change with time, given a chance
    ^Exactly.

Pre-primal I drank coffee with flavored creamer (you know that coffee mate crap). I was sure I loved coffee (which I could not taste thanks to said coffee mate crap). Then I switched to half-and half/hvy cream and sugar. Then I dropped the sugar. Then I dropped the cream. Now I drink it black. It is so much better this way. I actually taste the coffee. I can tell one type of coffee from another (it does not all taste like super sweet hazelnutty crap). I can actually say 'I love coffee' and mean it.

Give it a try.

Oh, as for the OP's question - nutritionally I have no idea. That said taste wise - honey tastes odd in coffee but not in tea - go figure. Stevia/artificial flavorings taste like chemicals. Agave Necture - bleh. Sugar is okay. Sugar in the raw I like better as it seemed to have a richer flavor to me.
    Last edited by canio6; 06-13-2013 at 07:09 AM.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

GuitarGrok is offline Senior Member
    I used to have to have sugar in my coffee, but I have replaced it with butter, and coconut oil. I think the hardest part of making that change is finding a butter that you really like. I can't get kerrygold here in Canada, so I had to try a lot of different butters to find one that I like, but now I have no desire to put sugar in my coffee.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trapperjohnme View Post

honestly, if you buy good coffee, then there is no reason to put anything in it. I don't put anything in mine. but I did answer the OP's question about the best choice for a sweetener. you can't say that putting sugar in it isn't necessary, but then tell the world you put butter or coconut oil in your coffee. that's idiotic.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Castle is offline Senior Member
    Black. It's a crime to cut good coffee with cream or sugar. If it's the typical Starbucks-type quality, then don't sweat the sweetener in the amounts you're using. Pick your poison.

OP, you say you love coffee while masking the best parts of the coffee's flavor with some type of sugar/sweetener. Buy quality coffee, a grinder and some type of good method for brewing (i.e. french press). Going off of observations of both myself and others, sugar and/or cream is typically used when someone doesn't like the taste of their coffee but loves the effects of the caffeine.

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    you can't say that putting sugar in it isn't necessary, but then tell the world you put butter or coconut oil in your coffee. that's idiotic.
    Only if you're thinking in terms of flavor. If it's for making coffee palatable to someone who doesn't like it black, then yes. All that's doing is replacing one flavor masking substance with another one that is more caloric.

However, if I had to pull an all-nighter before an exam (or something similar) I'll absolutely add a tbsp of butter and MCT oil to my mug. It may not taste any better than black, but it gives me more energy that lasts longer. YMMV.
    Last edited by Castle; 06-13-2013 at 07:16 AM.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Only if you're thinking in terms of flavor. If it's for making coffee palatable to someone who doesn't like it black, then yes. All that's doing is replacing one flavor masking substance with another one that is more caloric.

However, if I had to pull an all-nighter before an exam (or something similar) I'll absolutely add a tbsp of butter and MCT oil to my mug. It may not taste any better than black, but it gives me more energy that lasts longer. YMMV.
    I hear what you're saying. but one could argue that you could put sugar in coffee for energy as well. our bodies can burn fat AND sugar, it's not an either/or situation. besides, if you're drinking coffee to stay up all night, then its basically just a caffeine delivery device.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Poppi is offline Member
    Another vote here for sugar.

Hubby uses coconut sugar as it's less processed and lower glycemic but I am allergic to raw coconut products so I just use sugar. I only take 1/2 tsp so it's not a big deal and on days when I make bulletproof coffee I don't take any sugar in that.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Unsweetened is the way to go, but if I still sweetened my coffee, it would be with sugar. I stopped sweetening my coffee years ago and now I can't stand it sweetened. I still drink it with cream or sometimes in bulletproof form, though. I think stevia is yuck.

Castle is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    I hear what you're saying. but one could argue that you could put sugar in coffee for energy as well. our bodies can burn fat AND sugar, it's not an either/or situation. besides, if you're drinking coffee to stay up all night, then its basically just a caffeine delivery device.
    For me, enough sugar to give me energy inevitably leads to a crash 2-3 hours later. Not so with fat. However, I'm under no illusions that any of it, coffee included, is by any means optimal.

And yes, coffee late at night is not that different than popping a caffeine pill. Not healthy at all, but still gets done a few nights per year. Such is life.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast