Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Vitamins are confusing, dude page 4

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Cillikat, you mentioned somewhere that you could get the A you need by eating liver occasionally, which I think would be a great, whole food form to get it in (given that it's from pastured/grassfed animals). I've been skeptical of cod liver oil as a cure-all necessary supp to take (and believe me, WAPF has been a major resource of mine in my own health journey) and the info you've been sharing has really cemented this for me.

I'm planning to just drop the CLO (which I haven't been taking anyway--I had the fermented green pastures kind, which is a different product than the old green pastures one, and tastes so horrible I just have never taken it and it's sat in the fridge for over a year now) and plan to continue doing occasional liver for the vit A and the D3 drops (I like the carlson's brand and used the 'baby d' drops for my son--I've seen that you can get 2000 IUs in the drop form, and it's just vit D and coconut oil http://www.vitacost.com/Carlson-Vitamin-D-Drops).

Cillikat and anyone else who knows about vit D, do you think it's ok to still take a multi that has beta-carotene based vit A in it (when trying to up or maintain your vit D levels)? From what it says on the Vit D council site, you won't get too much beta-carotene vit A that will impact your vit D (I believe even from supps), but can totally get too much in the retinol form. What are your thoughts on this? I'm really considering one of the garden of life one a day raw vits for my hubby and I http://www.vitacost.com/Garden-of-Life-RAW-One-for-Men (I really do like taking a multi personally) along w/ our fish oil, our now upped D3 (thanks to all the fabulous posts here on vit D) and our magnesium citrate. (I'm also taking some probiotics and enzymes now, along w/ lots of whole food 'supps' like fermented foods, bone broth, etc., although we've been working on lots of healing over here, which is why I feel we really benefit from so many supps--I hate taking them but have seen a difference w/ everything we've added...) And what I've read in your docs (Cillikat) on doing *occasional* liver is REALLY exciting to me, as it's been a struggle for me to get it in, and we end up doing it only occasionally anyway! (I puree it when it's fresh in the blender then freeze it into ice cubes then throw it in w/ ground beef when we make tacos or chili or sauce, etc.--but it's got to be something strong flavored or I can't handle the slight liver taste in the background...)

Rambling rambling--sorry!! I'm just really interested in this topic right now and would love to learn more!! Thanks for all the helpful info folks!!!

Oh, wanted to mention that the Garden of Life Raw One multi contains no retinol vit A, but does contain 5000 IUs of vit A as beta carotene. Thoughts on this?? Too much?? Thanks again!!!!!

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    what about timing and vitamins...i eat the most food at dinner and usually throw back all my vitamins then...

krill oil, magnesium, mega mineral supplement, vitamin D, and chetleated zinc...

am i lowering the benefits by taking them all at the same time...??

etomaria is offline Member
    Yah, echo Malpaz's question-- I was wondering about that too... I normally take the fish oil with food, generally lunchish and the vitamin D whenever I'm drinking milk, for the calcium..

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    I think I should be able to answer tomorrow. If I don't post, pm me and gently nudge me.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I just got into cillakat's google docs about supps (my comp is old and won't pull up google docs so I need to go to another one to check them) and checked out the natrol vit (take one--you need to look at that specifically for the right vit A), which has 5000 IUs A in the beta carotene form. So I think that answers my question a/b beta carotene in a multi. Also, that vit. looks awesome and is WAY cheaper than others I've looked at, and contains whole food support (which I love) so I'll probably go with that!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234