Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vitamins are confusing, dude page 3

etomaria is offline Member
    Alrite, sounds like a good deal-- one of the more concete questions I had was what the harm may be in cod liver oil, if there was harm-- seems as tho the harm is in the obscene amount of vitamin A that goes along with it... That's fine, makes sense. Next question would be how to get the proper amount of vitamin D-- are normal run-of-the-mill-buyable-in-any-store vitamin D3 supplements a good thing? Are there any absorbtion issues (absorption?) with vitamin D? Should anything be taken with it?

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by etomaria View Post
    That's fine, makes sense. Next question would be how to get the proper amount of vitamin D-- are normal run-of-the-mill-buyable-in-any-store vitamin D3 supplements a good thing? Are there any absorbtion issues (absorption?) with vitamin D? Should anything be taken with it?
    Most appear to do very well with any d3 supplement that is oil based, not a dry-powder tablet. A few will need to skip the 'gelcaps' and use drops or sprays.

I use Nature's Answer D3 drops. In the 'my supps' links below, you'll find a link to the supplements that I buy....and they're linked to iherb so folks can easily see what's what.

Best,
    K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

suechef is offline Member
    How do you know which ones work best for you? (gel, dry, whatever). Is there any real way to tell?

I just really like drops so I use that. But most are fine with capsules. You could start there, then test after 3 mos to check your levels.

Be sure to read my D post linked in my sig though. While it's difficult, it is possible to get toxic. 10,000 IU is too much for most people over the long term. 1000 IU per 25 lbs body weight is right for most in the absence of sun exposure.....but even that is too much for a few people.

K

suechef is offline Member
    I've read a lot of the vitamin D council stuff and I do take supplements - not every day, probably 4 x week (4-5000), but we also travel to hot places quite a bit in the winter so that's part of my supplementation - I also do the tanning bed thing at times. I've never tested my levels - I figure we need vitamin D, it's normal and natural to get whatever we'd get with a fair bit of sunshine, so I don't worry too much.

What happens if you get too much? (in a nutshell).

Alrite, so another addition to this topic...

Cillakat-- I just looked at the (fermented) cod liver oil (here's a link: http://www.greenpasture.org/retail/?...display&i=1099 ) and I'm not entirely sure where you got the info on Blue Ice's vitaminal (I know it's not a real word!) content, but this has approximately a 2:1::A ratio... 60% of RDA for A (3000 IU) and 150% of RDA for D (1200 IU)... which loosely works out to 2:1... This really doesn't seem excessive at all... Can you elaborate why you think that's so much? Or were you talking about a different product? Thanks!

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member
    Suechef, I'll let Cillakat make with all the fancy science talk, but I took 2k a day of the crappy OTC dry D for six months a few years back and my levels barely budged. At the time D wasn't nearly as popular, so I had to order the D3 gelcaps. I took 1k a day of that for six months and tested fine.
    Last edited by Allbeef Patty; 05-25-2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: duh

I still have concerns and wouldn't purchase, but the concern is different now. You're absolutely right on about the D:A ratios. They've changed their products since last I looked (which was 5 or so years ago) and yes, they are much better.

My concern now is in regards to the nutritional analysis:
    http://www.greenpasture.org/retail/?...ts&a=test-data

In all cases but one, they show that the 'majority of the D in their cod liver oil is D2'. In the one case that is the exception, they show that 'both D2/D3 were tested' and but don't specify amounts or ratios of either.

D2 is ergocalciferol. It's plant based, nearly homeopathic in dose compared to d3 and is not helpful in the way d3 is.

They go on to say:
    "This information is provided for discussion purposes and the test results will not pertain to any specific product or lot. We are providing this information by customer request as many of our customers have "inquiring minds". Please do not request for any elaboration on the test results as this is for general discussion purposes only. "

The result are very confusing as cod liver oil should have no D2. The results *beg* for elaboration and clarification yet they won't offer any?

We need D3. About 1000 IU per 25 lbs body weight in the absence of midday summer sun exposure. Most adults will do well with 5,000 IU. This product doesn't offer much D3 and won't say how much D3 it does offer.

I'd give the one linked above a very big *avoid* rating.

...good. Cuz it tastes like a**. Not that I am particularly (or even at all) familiar with the real taste of a**, but I would guess that it's be about as not-good as this.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Cillikat, you mentioned somewhere that you could get the A you need by eating liver occasionally, which I think would be a great, whole food form to get it in (given that it's from pastured/grassfed animals). I've been skeptical of cod liver oil as a cure-all necessary supp to take (and believe me, WAPF has been a major resource of mine in my own health journey) and the info you've been sharing has really cemented this for me.

I'm planning to just drop the CLO (which I haven't been taking anyway--I had the fermented green pastures kind, which is a different product than the old green pastures one, and tastes so horrible I just have never taken it and it's sat in the fridge for over a year now) and plan to continue doing occasional liver for the vit A and the D3 drops (I like the carlson's brand and used the 'baby d' drops for my son--I've seen that you can get 2000 IUs in the drop form, and it's just vit D and coconut oil http://www.vitacost.com/Carlson-Vitamin-D-Drops).

Cillikat and anyone else who knows about vit D, do you think it's ok to still take a multi that has beta-carotene based vit A in it (when trying to up or maintain your vit D levels)? From what it says on the Vit D council site, you won't get too much beta-carotene vit A that will impact your vit D (I believe even from supps), but can totally get too much in the retinol form. What are your thoughts on this? I'm really considering one of the garden of life one a day raw vits for my hubby and I http://www.vitacost.com/Garden-of-Life-RAW-One-for-Men (I really do like taking a multi personally) along w/ our fish oil, our now upped D3 (thanks to all the fabulous posts here on vit D) and our magnesium citrate. (I'm also taking some probiotics and enzymes now, along w/ lots of whole food 'supps' like fermented foods, bone broth, etc., although we've been working on lots of healing over here, which is why I feel we really benefit from so many supps--I hate taking them but have seen a difference w/ everything we've added...)

Rambling rambling--sorry!! I'm just really interested in this topic right now and would love to learn more!! Thanks for all the helpful info folks!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast