Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vitamins are confusing, dude page 2

etomaria is offline Member
    Aha-- well, then, other questions! )

1) What's different about carlson? "Green Pasture" was the brand I was looking into...

2) If I'm not getting sunlight during the bright hours of the day (I'm getting a negligable amount-- somewhere around 5-10 minutes, and then I'm normally fully clothed, so various sides of my face get 5-10 minutes... pretty much the same as not getting it ), how much D do I need, in general, diet notwithstanding?

3) In order to have a proper A/D ratio, how much A is necessary?

4) (More of an explanation than a question) I normally don't do vitamins/supplements either, but that was pretty much only cuz I disregarded them due to lack of knowledge about them... Basically I went from not knowing anything about them to reading very highly opinionated (diverse) sources and now I don't know which are correct, which need to be tempered, which are straight wrong... When I track my food on cronometer, the only areas it claims I'm low in are (and they vary by the day, but the majority of the time they pop up under 100% RDA) vitamin D, manganese, potassium... So I started this "quest"... started with D, led to A and calcium, let to C, and soooo on.

5) ..I think that's it. Oh, the kid-- is it safe/allowable/wise/dumb to give a 5 year old fish oil?

Thanks for all the replies, by the way!

etomaria is offline Member
    Also, I'm not currently in AK, I'm currently in Northern California (nearish Sacramento)... I was, however, stationed in AK for 3 years and looking to go back there-- Anchorage specifically, which is the reason for the AK-related questions I do not incorporate any parts in Inuit-type diet into my diet, save for salmon... and any other generic things that may happen to be both traditionally Inuit and traditionally everyone-else at the same time... but not on purpose.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by etomaria View Post
    Aha-- well, then, other questions! ) 1) What's different about carlson? "Green Pasture" was the brand I was looking into...

Green Pasture has far too much A. Checkout the ratios.
    http://www.iherb.com/Carlson-Labs-No...oz-500-ml/2804

2) If I'm not getting sunlight during the bright hours of the day (I'm getting a negligable amount-- somewhere around 5-10 minutes, and then I'm normally fully clothed, so various sides of my face get 5-10 minutes... pretty much the same as not getting it ), how much D do I need, in general, diet notwithstanding?
    see my D doc below......you need a lot but reading it in context is more helpful than one little snippet.

3) In order to have a proper A/D ratio, how much A is necessary?
    Here's what I wrote above "No one knows what the ideal ratio of D:A is though some are working on it. It appears at this juncture that it's of the utmost importance to maintain optimally high levels of D while taking in some preformed A. I fall somewhere between the WAPF and Cannell's Vitamin Council on this one. Having experimented for 7 years with various D:A intake ratios, I do best when it's about 3-5:1 vitamin d:vitamin a."
    4) (More of an explanation than a question) I normally don't do vitamins/supplements either, but that was pretty much only cuz I disregarded them due to lack of knowledge about them... Basically I went from not knowing anything about them to reading very highly opinionated (diverse) sources and now I don't know which are correct, which need to be tempered, which are straight wrong... When I track my food on cronometer, the only areas it claims I'm low in are (and they vary by the day, but the majority of the time they pop up under 100% RDA) vitamin D, manganese, potassium... So I started this "quest"... started with D, led to A and calcium, let to C, and soooo on.
    Yeah that happens. See my produce doc below (in my sig). If you get enough potassium, you'll automatically meet a lot of other nutritional needs as well. You need much more produce than you think

5) ..I think that's it. Oh, the kid-- is it safe/allowable/wise/dumb to give a 5 year old fish oil?
    safe. allowable. wise. I'd go so far as to say necessary. Required. Same with vitamin D.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    That would be very smart. I wish I had taken fish oil when I was a kid. And not eaten so much poison. My parents had the attitude that "he (me) is young and resilient". How the hell do they think that people degenerate to the point that they aren't? *grumble grumble*
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by hbeck View Post
    cillakat has a good collection of stuff on D. ...snip..most people are already deficient in D, so that's just making the ratio worse.
    Thanks so much hbeck!

K

thebkon Guest
    Hey, btw... does anyone have the link to that huge Vit D info dump on here last week. The search engine is not turning up any results for "Vitamin D", go figure. If you could PM me the link, I would greatly appreciate it!

you can probably find most of it at my link below (in my sig) and by looking at some of my posts. if i find it, I'll PM you.

K

thebkon, I tried to pm you with the link but you're not accepting private messages or emails per your settings.

Here's the link you were looking for:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ight=vitamin-d

thebkon Guest
    Hey, cillakat! Thanks for the link! This is exactly what I am looking for. Also, I fixed my profile settings thanks to you for giving me the heads up!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yay! So glad it made it's way to you. Hope it's helpful.

My mission in life: spreading the word about the importance of vitamin d.

K

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast