Thread: Primal Log (gwbbvpd) page

gwbbvpd is offline Junior Member

Primal Log (gwbbvpd)

Primal Fuel
    Hi all, first a little about myself. I've been into fitness since I was 18 years old (I'm 33 now). I started out with bodybuilding workouts, no cardio, and a no-holds-barred eat anything diet. I went from 140 lbs. out of high school to a high of 225 (I"m 5'9). I couldn't admit then, but I can now, I was fat. Strong yes, but still fat. I could bench 405 but would've been lucky to run half a mile without passing out. I came up with every excuse in the book not to do cardio and get my weight down. My knees hurt constantly and I had horrible heartburn. I finally decided to do something about it when I was 25. I started eating "healthy," lots of low fat meat, egg whites, oatmeal, whole wheat bread. I also took up running while still doing my usual bodybuilding style workouts. You know, It did work though. I got down to 165 lbs., eliminated the need for heartburn medication, and my knees stopped hurting.

Within the last couple of years, I got more into "functional" training which has became all the craze. I started following the workouts on midwestfit.com which are similar to crossfit style training. I'm in the best shape I've ever been in, and have abs for the first time in my life. Most people would be happy with this, but I'm one who always is looking for ways to improve.

I've always loved reading up on exercise and nutrition, and almost a year ago bought a copy of the Paleo Diet. I enjoyed the read, but thought it was a bit too restrictive for me. A few months ago, I was surfing the net and came across Mark's site. I subscribed to his newsletter and spent almost 6 hours one night reading. I immediately became a fan and thought that this was something I could do. I was still eating the usual "healthy" diet, 6 small meals a day, alot of processed "healthy" food (Kashi), and consuming low fat dairy. I had tried a low carb diet at one point and had great success with that, I was never hungry and always had energy. This was basically the same, but I could have fruit, dark chocolate, and wine...this was the way to eat to me! No more having to make sure I had a protein bar with me, just eat whenever you're hungry. It makes sense and I decided to give it a try. I'll admit I tried once and fell off the wagon, going back to my egg whites and oatmeal. I started back yesterday and plan on sticking with it this time. I think the journal will help.

I love Mark's ideas, everything makes sense. I work night shift (12 hour shifts), so I might not post everyday but I plan on doing my best. I plan on altering my workouts soon to be more primal, I've always loved to hike so that won't be a problem at all. I've worked out in my home gym for several years now, and will be moving to a smaller place soon. I'll only be bringing some dumbbells, kettlebells, bench, and pullup-chin bar so my workouts will be more simple. I think that's for the best anyway, stick with tried and true stuff like pushups, pullups, squats, and planks.

I look forward to getting to know all of you, and I'm sure I'll meet some life-long friends on here. Thanks for checking out my journal, and stop back in soon!

gwbbvpd is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    June 11, 2013

Breakfast
    Almond flour pancakes with honey and raspberries, bacon

Lunch
    Big salad (romaine, cherry tomatoes, cukes, onion, grilled chicken, sharp cheddar, oil, vinegar, and herbs

Snack
    A little dark chocolate

Dinner
    Low carb BBQ platter at one of my favorite restaurants

Snack
    Grapes

Workout
    4 mile hike