Thread: Classic Misinformation page

quikky is offline Senior Member

Thumbs down Classic Misinformation

Primal Fuel
    So I took this work-related "health assessment" for our insurance, and some things, not surprisingly, just really annoyed me. For those that are unfamiliar with this type of thing, it's basically a questionnaire about your general health, things like cholesterol readings, blood glucose, BMI, smoking, exercise, etc. that produces this report for you with a "risk profile", highlighting what you should do to improve your health.

In any case, after the usual questions, there was the "Do you eat a low-fat diet?". My answer was "No". The next question was, do you intend to switch to a low-fat diet, and if so when. My answer was "No, and not planning on it". Of course at the end of the assessment, there was an increased risk item regarding my diet, suggesting I switch to a diet that avoids saturated fat, is low fat in general, and includes more mono and poly fats, especially from things like canola oil (!) and olive oil.

I know this has been beaten to death here, but it just rubs me the wrong way when the "professional" medical establishment actively tells you things which will make your health worse. Basically I will reduce my risk of cardiovascular disease if I start eating a high carb diet with more canola oil. The worst thing is, someone with a decent diet full of fat could do this assessment, decide that their arteries are getting clogged as they're reading the results in horror, and follow this advice. Just terrible...

Rant over.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    The worst thing is, someone with a decent diet full of fat could do this assessment, decide that their arteries are getting clogged as they're reading the results in horror, and follow this advice.
    Which happens all the time. Next visit they will be given statins, and the one after that diagnosed with diabetes and metabolic disorder.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Oh, that would piss me off too. They should see my diet, which is full of saturated fat, and then look at my perfect, PERFECT cholesterol numbers.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    sometimes you're just better off lying
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

fifer is offline Senior Member
    Hey Carbdodger is that you in your avatar pic?

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Which happens all the time. Next visit they will be given statins, and the one after that diagnosed with diabetes and metabolic disorder.
    That's the worst part of it all.

Imagine if that survey was used to declare how much you pay per month!

M.

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    I second this

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    I'd like to suggest that the more healthy people who are honest about living contrary to the CW guidelines, the more likely we are to influence those guidelines for the better, but the establishment (at least in the UK) is so invested in what it believes and more specifically in being seen to be right, that I think it's an uphill battle if not a lost cause. I suspect that it will take a 'conversion' of a significant number of those in the medical and health services to begin to influence what is taught and that's what needs to change. Then the insurance etc will follow suit. But as long as there's more emphasis on what to prescribe rather than how to fix broken or damaged metabolisms, then we're going to be stuck.

On a positive side, the health people I've been encountering have been interested to hear about my father's improvement on cutting out wheat (which they're happy to hear as processed foods) and have mostly had an attitude of - if it's working for you keep doing it. This is the best I can hope for at the moment and is far better than disapproval. I get the feeling they suspect it's a random effect or may be a one-off that woudn't work for anyone else. Hopefully, if enough people demonstrate the 'random' or 'one-off' effects of a better diet, more health professionals will start to wonder and look for themselves. It's not satisfactory, but it does seem to be the only way it's going to happen. Books and articles and even studies are just dismissed by those who 'know' better.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    I aways pass all these tests easily (BP, pulse, total chol, HDL, glucose, waist circumference etc) - though the total chol is at the upper limit, but the HDL is at the highest measurable amount for their machine.

They don't go into fat consumption questions, only serves of veg and fruit a day, exercises etc - if fat consumption was asked they would be shocked if I answered those questions truthfully.

Though I was concerned about the health of the nurse that conducted the tests.

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    It irritates me as well but I have come to the conclusion to let it go because they don't know any better.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gutThe book price is $9.99.

I put my blood, sweat, and tears in making sure that this ebook is one of the best literary pieces written in regard to digestive health. You want detailed cutting edge information on probiotics and digestive enzymes, BAM, itís all searchable in an easy to read kindle format.