Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: why am i not losing???? page 8

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brookesam View Post
    I continued to drink a gallon a day until about 2 months or so ago. So that didn't effect to water weight I lost when I added carbs back in.

I avoided salt like the plague. I checked sodium on everything that had a label or I could look up on myfitnesspal. I never added salt to my food. I would refuse to go out to eat sometimes because restaurants tend to over salt simple steak and veggies meal. Ultimately, I was just afraid of excess sodium causing water retention.
    Consuming massive amounts of water while denying your body salt was the entire cause of your problem.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    I didn't stop drinking a gallon of water and started adding salt when I added carbs in.

I understand that drinking too much water and not having enough salt can cause water retention but that is irrelevant in this situation. Like I said neither my water or salt intake changed when I added carbs in.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Look at you, all grown up and using latin terms. Please look up "ad hominem" before accusing me of this fallacy while calling me "petty and narrow minded".
    You are going ad hominem, because instead of following an argument you are going for the poster himself and his personal situation. What I have sent you in return ad hominem is just a little "self-defense" after you starting to pull in irrelevant personal issues about me, as you have done through the whole thread, only repeating the last:

"For your non-diabetic, never been overweight, highly muscular and lean male body with a well running metabolism, yes this may be true.

Why do you not get it that for someone who was seriously overweight but now still has some to lose who is also female and taking medication for diabetes, things are different? Why is this such a difficult concept? She is different than you so the solution to her problem is different too."

My personal situation whether I am “lean”, “male”, or “muscular” has nothing to do with what we are discussing here, it's also beyond irrelevant whether I drink Diet Coke or eat above 200 grams of carbs per day as well! All such kind of insinuations against a poster is ad hominem. How did you ever get a bachelor degree without not even knowing that, just to send you something ad hominem in return?

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Also I totally agree with you that stress could be playing a role here. How to get rid of this is to get rid of the stress. This does not have anything to do with macros.
    First, I have nowhere said that stress of dieting is the actual reason here, and yes it may also very much be related to macros since low carb diet is more stressful to most dieters, especially to those that are very active and lift heavy as the OP. What the OP can do just to rule out this option is to eat a large meal late afternoon or night; 2000 calories, moderate protein, high carbs(as high as you can go for your diabetic condition), low/moderate fat. IF you lose lot of weight in the following morning compared with the morning of the day before, 2-3 pound or more, then take 10 – 14 days OFF from dieting, eating at maintenance which should be at least 1800 – 2000 calories per day. You will probably lose some more water-weight in the following days and will restore hormonal imbalances.

If nothing happens with your “experiment” - then take a double check of fat content and measuring procedures…

jewelbug28 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    You are going ad hominem, because instead of following an argument you are going for the poster himself and his personal situation. What I have sent you in return ad hominem is just a little "self-defense" after you starting to pull in irrelevant personal issues about me, as you have done through the whole thread, only repeating the last:

"For your non-diabetic, never been overweight, highly muscular and lean male body with a well running metabolism, yes this may be true.

Why do you not get it that for someone who was seriously overweight but now still has some to lose who is also female and taking medication for diabetes, things are different? Why is this such a difficult concept? She is different than you so the solution to her problem is different too."

My personal situation whether I am “lean”, “male”, or “muscular” has nothing to do with what we are discussing here, it's also beyond irrelevant whether I drink Diet Coke or eat above 200 grams of carbs per day as well! All such kind of insinuations against a poster is ad hominem. How did you ever get a bachelor degree without not even knowing that, just to send you something ad hominem in return?

First, I have nowhere said that stress of dieting is the actual reason here, and yes it may also very much be related to macros since low carb diet is more stressful to most dieters, especially to those that are very active and lift heavy as the OP. What the OP can do just to rule out this option is to eat a large meal late afternoon or night; 2000 calories, moderate protein, high carbs(as high as you can go for your diabetic condition), low/moderate fat. IF you lose lot of weight in the following morning compared with the morning of the day before, 2-3 pound or more, then take 10 – 14 days OFF from dieting, eating at maintenance which should be at least 1800 – 2000 calories per day. You will probably lose some more water-weight in the following days and will restore hormonal imbalances.

If nothing happens with your “experiment” - then take a double check of fat content and measuring procedures…
    Ok so for the results............I was down only one pound but my clothes "feel" looser than they have been? I did not take my measurements. I have been weighing and measuring everything I consume and have been off a few times!!

I really appreciate everyone's advice and knowledge!! Thanks a million!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    Seems like alot of fruit. Try cutting back on fruit and adding more fat, meat and veggies. Have you done something like a The 21-Day Sugar Detox | Bust sugar & carb cravings naturally.
    I have the practical paleo book that I believe has the 21 day sugar detox in it!! I will check it out!!!!!! Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    That would be me

I'm following the principles of the Newcastle University reversing diabetes 800 calorie diet but am using primal foods rather than their regime of 3 shake drinks and a vegetarian meal.
    I measure and track everything I eat. I eat 3 meals a day plus a substantial evening snack. 175+175+300+150 calorie sharing. I eat 40-60 carbs spread between each meal although most are in dinner and snack. I eat meat,fish,poultry and eggs and my carbs come from mainly vegetables but my snack is often fruit. I do eat peas and a little dairy
    I eat around 180g -200g protein, 40-60g carbs and any deficit is picked up with fat.
    I walk about 8 miles a day. I take a 15 minute minimum walk after eating each time. I also walk if my blood sugar is higher than I want. incidentally my dog has also lost her excess weight.
    I only take metformin now which makes it easier. I measure my blood ketones and aim to stay around 3.
    I also have a high level of medical and nutritional support from an oncology team as I have a cancer.

a lot of people take umbrage at the term fatburner but there is a definite change to the metabolism of a diabetic on a low carb diet, it isn't instant, but it does speed up if you stick to it. I'm still losing about 1lb a day though I keep expecting a slow down or plateau it hasn't arrived yet.
    I have a comprehensive blood screen fortnightly which continues to be good, my total cholesterol is 3.7.

Your weight loss wont be as easy if you take traditional anti-diabetic meds other than metformin or Incretin mimetics
    You amaze me!!! Your plate is so full and yet you have taken control!! Keep it up!!
    I will get some ketone strips and try that also!!

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    Exactly ! Our bodies are designed to run on saturated fats.

When people I know have followed the following advice, every single one has lost weight.........he only way you will not lose weight is if cheat and often people cheat not because they are weak but because they are naïve. Read up as much as you can on nutrition because so many food out there now contain hidden sugars and bad fats !

My advice:

Cut out bread( and other similar grain based foods ).
    Cut out Pasta
    Cut out Rice
    Cut out fruit Juice
    Cut out potatoes
    Drink lots and lots of water
    Keep foods as simple as possible, if it comes out of a box or packet and has umpteen ingredients on the side leave it on the shelf !
    Eat lots of veggies
    Eat moderate fruit & berries
    Eat lots of protein and don't worry about the fat ( Eggs, Bacon, Steak, Fish ) it's ALL good.
    Make sure to consume plenty of good fats( Coconut oil, Avocado's, Grass fed butter )

Don't do cardio unless it's something you do for fun, cardio is pretty lame for fat burning, an hour on the exercise bike will burn off slightly less calories than you'd get from one tablespoon of peanut butter........wasted effort eh !

Concentrate on resistance training, a small woman with only 50 pounds of muscle who starts strength training is going to burn an additional 75 calories per day, even on days she doesn’t work out, and in addition to the calories she burns when she does. This would require as little as one or two half-hour workouts per week.

If she gains as little as 3 pounds of muscle — typical for women during their first two months of high intensity training — that number increases by 25.5 (7 to maintain and 1.5 due to protein turnover for each pound gained), for a total increase in daily calorie expenditure of 100, plus about 100 calories per workout, for a total of 800 to 900 additional calories per week
    I have been concerned about "chronic cardio" I have tried to make sure that my heart rate does not exceed out of the fat burning range. I walk/jog hills but then a longer stretch for an easy jog!!

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jewelbug28 View Post
    You amaze me!!! Your plate is so full and yet you have taken control!! Keep it up!!
    I will get some ketone strips and try that also!!
    the ketosis is part of the cancer stuff- it can help with weight loss and glucose control but isn't necessary so dont feel pushed into it and it isnt for everyone
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jewelbug28 View Post
    Ok so for the results............I was down only one pound but my clothes "feel" looser than they have been? I did not take my measurements. I have been weighing and measuring everything I consume and have been off a few times!!
    Sorry, I did not understand you completely here... What I recommend to rule out stress induced water-edema is to eat a large meal at late afternoon/night; 2000 calories (high carbs, moderate protein and low/moderate fat) yes I know that's A LOT for a 138 pound female! You can also take some alcohol, like a couple of Tequila or vodka shots, since it may help to get out water-weight. If you lose lots of weight through the following night, at least 2-3 pound, (you’ll be peeing your weight off!) then you should take a break from dieting; 10 - 14 days to restore hormones and to get rid of more water weight...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Sorry, I did not understand you completely here... What I recommend to rule out stress induced water-edema is to eat a large meal at late afternoon/night; 2000 calories (high carbs, moderate protein and low/moderate fat) yes I know that's A LOT for a 138 pound female! You can also take some alcohol, like a couple of Tequila or vodka shots, since it may help to get out water-weight. If you lose lots of weight through the following night, at least 2-3 pound, (you’ll be peeing your weight off!) then you should take a break from dieting; 10 - 14 days to restore hormones and to get rid of more water weight...
    I decided last evening to try and up my carbs and calories (It was not 2000 calories though). How and what do you eat to get 2000 calories ingested in one sitting?? Just by upping my carbs and calories last evening I was down one pound this morning. Would you suggest I try to consume a larger evening meal again tonight (try to hit that 2000 calorie mark)??
    I was saying that I have been weighing everything and have been off a few times of what I thought I was consuming to what it actually was. But for the most part I have been almost right on my serving sizes.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast