Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: why am i not losing???? page 6

Aili is offline Senior Member

I appreciate Paleobird's contributions

Thrive Market
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    You go up to the top of the page and click on "Forum Actions" then "General Settings". Over at the left there will be a list which includes "edit ignore list".

Just trying to be helpful.
    When I see you (Paleobird)responding to a post, I get interested because you have helped me in the past and have so much to offer. I'm interested in your take on topics. I am glad you don't get bent out of shape by someone's opinion and I hope you keep doing what you do

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jewelbug28 View Post
    Gorbag

I am just trying to reach out in this forum for advice!! Thank you to all who are actually here to support and encourage one another!!
    What I recommend is to check the amount of fat in meat especially, and all added oils, and make sure that you are measuring correctly. Skinless chicken breast should be no problem, but sometimes other types of meat can hide more fat than expected. It is possible to pre-cook suspicious meat in water to get rid of fat. If you have been dieting for a while and stalls, this can be due to accumulated water edema in your body that "masks" the fat loss. Upping your calories and carbs for a couple of days may help the body to get rid of the water and you'll notice a sudden drop on the scale! Good luck anyway...

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aili View Post
    When I see you (Paleobird)responding to a post, I get interested because you have helped me in the past and have so much to offer. I'm interested in your take on topics. I am glad you don't get bent out of shape by someone's opinion and I hope you keep doing what you do
    Thank you. I appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    What I recommend is to check the amount of fat in meat especially, and all added oils, and make sure that you are measuring correctly. Skinless chicken breast should be no problem, but sometimes other types of meat can hide more fat than expected. It is possible to pre-cook suspicious meat in water to get rid of fat.
    Oh my goodness, CW is alive and well and right here with us. Evil nasty faaaattttttt.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by terijr View Post
    Hi I'm brand new here. I have just started the Paleo/Primal way for the past few months. I'm Type 2 diabetic and obese. I have started eating 50 carb a day this week and the scale is just not budging. How did you lose 60 lbs in 52 days?

Oops I don't think I posted in the right area. Jewelbug or carbdodger said they lost 60 lbs in 52 day. I was just curious.
    That would be me

I'm following the principles of the Newcastle University reversing diabetes 800 calorie diet but am using primal foods rather than their regime of 3 shake drinks and a vegetarian meal.
    I measure and track everything I eat. I eat 3 meals a day plus a substantial evening snack. 175+175+300+150 calorie sharing. I eat 40-60 carbs spread between each meal although most are in dinner and snack. I eat meat,fish,poultry and eggs and my carbs come from mainly vegetables but my snack is often fruit. I do eat peas and a little dairy
    I eat around 180g -200g protein, 40-60g carbs and any deficit is picked up with fat.
    I walk about 8 miles a day. I take a 15 minute minimum walk after eating each time. I also walk if my blood sugar is higher than I want. incidentally my dog has also lost her excess weight.
    I only take metformin now which makes it easier. I measure my blood ketones and aim to stay around 3.
    I also have a high level of medical and nutritional support from an oncology team as I have a cancer.

a lot of people take umbrage at the term fatburner but there is a definite change to the metabolism of a diabetic on a low carb diet, it isn't instant, but it does speed up if you stick to it. I'm still losing about 1lb a day though I keep expecting a slow down or plateau it hasn't arrived yet.
    I have a comprehensive blood screen fortnightly which continues to be good, my total cholesterol is 3.7.

Your weight loss wont be as easy if you take traditional anti-diabetic meds other than metformin or Incretin mimetics
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 06-13-2013 at 09:43 AM.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Paleobird Guest
    Yep. I remember my oncologist telling me that the best way to prevent a recurrence of my cancer was to get the excess weight off of me. I dropped 65 lbs. Survival is a much stronger motivator than vanity could ever be.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Oh my goodness, CW is alive and well and right here with us. Evil nasty faaaattttttt.
    We are talking about weight loss here? Carbs way below 75 gram per day, very active and heavy lifting as premises, and still not losing - guess where to look for a solution? Paleobird that claim to have a PHD and a suitcase full of academic papers seem to lack something very fundamental in her method of reasoning…

Paleobird Guest
    Paleobird that claim to have a PHD and a suitcase full of academic papers seem to lack something very fundamental in her method of reasoning…
    Gorbag seems to be lacking something very fundamental in his understanding of metabolic function and dysfunction. (And talks about people in the third person)

BTW my PhD is in Education. I have never claimed to have medical/nutritional certifications. I did however take care of my diabetic father for several years. I know how well he did on a LCHF Primal diet.

I really don't think boiled meat and skinless chicken breasts are the answer. Not to mention, ewwwww.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    We are talking about weight loss here? Carbs way below 75 gram per day, very active and heavy lifting as premises, and still not losing - guess where to look for a solution? Paleobird that claim to have a PHD and a suitcase full of academic papers seem to lack something very fundamental in her method of reasoning…
    I'm thinking that if she (jewelbug) is very active and lifts heavy, eats 1100-1300 calories a day with only 75grams of carbs... She might need to adjust macros to see if that helps. BUT... Make sure your blood sugars can handle it. Personally, when I increased carbs and lowered fat I stated functioning better.

I'm not recommending you eat 150+ carbs a day but maybe up them a bit to test the waters and see if your body responds to something different.

You said you work a desk job. So, obviously don't go eat a bunch of carbs before you go sit at work all day. Preferably, eat a little before and little after. Hope this helps!

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    What I recommend is to check the amount of fat in meat especially, and all added oils, and make sure that you are measuring correctly. Skinless chicken breast should be no problem, but sometimes other types of meat can hide more fat than expected. It is possible to pre-cook suspicious meat in water to get rid of fat. If you have been dieting for a while and stalls, this can be due to accumulated water edema in your body that "masks" the fat loss. Upping your calories and carbs for a couple of days may help the body to get rid of the water and you'll notice a sudden drop on the scale! Good luck anyway...
    Wait, whaaaa? It works the exact opposite of that...
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Gorbag seems to be lacking something very fundamental in his understanding of metabolic function and dysfunction. (And talks about people in the third person)

BTW my PhD is in Education. I have never claimed to have medical/nutritional certifications. I did however take care of my diabetic father for several years. I know how well he did on a LCHF Primal diet.

I really don't think boiled meat and skinless chicken breasts are the answer. Not to mention, ewwwww.
    Exactly ! Our bodies are designed to run on saturated fats.

When people I know have followed the following advice, every single one has lost weight.........he only way you will not lose weight is if cheat and often people cheat not because they are weak but because they are naïve. Read up as much as you can on nutrition because so many food out there now contain hidden sugars and bad fats !

My advice:

Cut out bread( and other similar grain based foods ).
    Cut out Pasta
    Cut out Rice
    Cut out fruit Juice
    Cut out potatoes
    Drink lots and lots of water
    Keep foods as simple as possible, if it comes out of a box or packet and has umpteen ingredients on the side leave it on the shelf !
    Eat lots of veggies
    Eat moderate fruit & berries
    Eat lots of protein and don't worry about the fat ( Eggs, Bacon, Steak, Fish ) it's ALL good.
    Make sure to consume plenty of good fats( Coconut oil, Avocado's, Grass fed butter )

Don't do cardio unless it's something you do for fun, cardio is pretty lame for fat burning, an hour on the exercise bike will burn off slightly less calories than you'd get from one tablespoon of peanut butter........wasted effort eh !

Concentrate on resistance training, a small woman with only 50 pounds of muscle who starts strength training is going to burn an additional 75 calories per day, even on days she doesn’t work out, and in addition to the calories she burns when she does. This would require as little as one or two half-hour workouts per week.

If she gains as little as 3 pounds of muscle — typical for women during their first two months of high intensity training — that number increases by 25.5 (7 to maintain and 1.5 due to protein turnover for each pound gained), for a total increase in daily calorie expenditure of 100, plus about 100 calories per workout, for a total of 800 to 900 additional calories per week

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast