Thread: Manioc starch/Cassava/Tapioca in gluten free food - any cyanide risk? page

mrfreeman is offline Junior Member

Manioc starch/Cassava/Tapioca in gluten free food - any cyanide risk?

Primal Fuel
    Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has had any problems with all the gluten free foods out there which contain tapioca/manioc starch? I'm hoping it is processed enough to not have any cyanide, but can we be sure? (And that includes almond extract aswell!) There are quite a few cakes and biscuits and things which I would love to have and have been having, but since I read about it I am a bit nervous about continuing:

Cassava - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ok, ok I know cakes and biscuits aren't paleo/primal, but I need SOMEthing for a treat now and then lol! And if I don't have some starchy food and sugar and just have fruit, nuts, fat, meat and veg I get weak and lose weight. I have a problem with salicylates aswell as gluten, so my options are quite limited. Anyway, it would be reassuring to hear if anyone has had plenty of tapioca starch over time without problems Thx

(P.S. Funny how it's SO similar to MANIAC starch lol)
    (PPS. My only other options for sweetness are coconut, maple syrup and brown sugar which thankfully I can tolerate, but I'm just considering all options)
    Last edited by mrfreeman; 06-12-2013 at 12:44 PM.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Yes, cassava/tapioca flour is considered pretty benign and nontoxic. No nutritional value and you won't get flaky/stretchy results like gluten, but otherwise it works.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Thx picklepete, but is that from personal experience or general opinion? I know Mark says the same thing on his blog, but I was surprised he didn't even mention the cyanide aspect. So hopefully it's not even worth mentioning? There are a few sites which make me a bit wary:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/48...ating-tapioca/

Above as an example. But I guess most commercial processed foods use sweet roots and not bitter? (I would hope anyway).
    Last edited by mrfreeman; 06-12-2013 at 01:06 PM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I have heard of a few people who have issues with tapioca starch. It's a rare issue.

It is the cyanide compounds in almond extract (not actually made from eating almonds) that provide the almond flavor. I did know someone who was sensitive and avoided it because it tasted very strong to him. But I have never heard of anyone having a reaction at normal consumption levels. Do you have some reason to be concerned about this?

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfreeman View Post
    Thx picklepete, but is that from personal experience or general opinion?
    I've baked with it when I need a blank flavor slate. I guess I don't know what a cyanide reaction would look like.

My preferred GF flours are coconut, chestnut, and cashew though.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Hi Katherine, well I have started using a small amount of almond essence from a bottle (Dr Oetker), which I've been adding to porridge. But I was alarmed when I read about almond essence being from bitter almonds not sweet ones (DUH, am I stupid or what lol??). I only use 1/2 a teaspoon or less but even so I don't like the idea of it. Not even sure if I should use that much i.e. should I use 1 or 2 drops? Plus I have Nairns oat biscuit breaks which contain tapioca starch. I've not had any problems so far with them. So just a bit of paranoia creeping in about cyanide in general lol! But hopefully I'm being over cautious. I might just stick to vanilla essence for porridge, or just some dessicated coconut/maple syrup (otherwise it's too bland).

Pete, no I don't know either! Not sure what would happen exactly if I had a reaction anyway. The trouble is when you buy commercial foods is having to take whatever they put in them. You are better off making everything yourself I suppose.
    Last edited by mrfreeman; 06-12-2013 at 01:24 PM.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    If you need some starches and sugars, why not eat sweet potatoes, potatoes, white or wild rice, or some fruit? Gluten-free pastry treats are nice now and then, but from what you wrote, it sounds like you're depending on them for blood sugar control. Maybe I am mis-reading or reading too much into what you said.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Hi Katherine, well I have started using a small amount of almond essence from a bottle (Dr Oetker), which I've been adding to porridge. But I was alarmed when I read about almond essence being from bitter almonds not sweet ones (DUH, am I stupid or what lol??). I only use 1/2 a teaspoon or less but even so I don't like the idea of it. Not even sure if I should use that much i.e. should I use 1 or 2 drops? Plus I have Nairns oat biscuit breaks which contain tapioca starch. I've not had any problems so far with them. So just a bit of paranoia creeping in about cyanide in general lol! But hopefully I'm being over cautious. I might just stick to vanilla essence for porridge, or just some dessicated coconut/maple syrup (otherwise it's too bland).

Pete, no I don't know either! Not sure what would happen exactly if I had a reaction anyway. The trouble is when you buy commercial foods is having to take whatever they put in them. You are better off making everything yourself I suppose.
    You've answered your own question. One can find something to worry about in every foodstuff. It can end up controlling your life.

No I'm not diabetic or anything! And I do have sweet potatoes and rice (which do provide that energy boost). I think I just crave sweet treats now and then lol I avoid gluten stuff because of severe stomach problems I had awhile ago (even though the doctor said I'm not coeliac, I don't trust it), but it really annoys me to miss out on all those cookies etc. So I ended up having things with tapioca starch/almond flavouring...

Katherine, that's fine so long as it IS just paranoia and not something to be caught out by, I'm happy lol! I'm just checking it out I guess. Thx for your replies guys.
    Last edited by mrfreeman; 06-12-2013 at 01:51 PM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I avoid gluten stuff because of severe stomach problems I had awhile ago (even though the doctor said I'm not coeliac, I don't trust it)
    Celiac, destruction of the intestinal villi, is but one symptom of gluten intolerance. A person can have a whole array of disabling symptoms that may prevent them from leading a normal life without actually having celiac. And many people who have celiac have never been tested because they are asymptomatic.