Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet another reason to avoid conventional dairy... page

Lady Grok is offline Senior Member

Angry Yet another reason to avoid conventional dairy...

I missed my Sunday farmer's market (and therefore, my fave raw dairy kiosk) and ended up grabbing a small container of heavy cream at the supermarket. I checked- Horizon Organic. Cute little flying cow on the package.

So the first thing I did was taste it (in the interest of science) to see if it was different in some way- and it was! It tasted "creamier" than regular heavy cream. I wondered how they managed that (higher fat content? smoke and mirrors? magical flying cows?) and read the back panel.

Top line: Organic Grade A Cream (milk),

Underneath that: Carrageenan and Sodium Citrate

Carageenan is a thickener derived from seaweed, used to "increase viscosity in liquids".
    (AHA! Source of texture change!) Sodium Citrate is one of the mystery ingredients in those magical "coffee shots" of "creamer" that somehow never go bad. It's a preservative and flavor enhancer.

Color me pissed off! Neither of these additives us supposed to be particularly "bad" for you, but I am really irritated that I was "tricked" into purchasing a processed food, masquerading as the real thing. Isn't organic cream one of those things that is only supposed to have one ingredient? RARGH!

TriCiCi is offline Senior Member
    I've found that too. And funny enough, the standard (at my Jewel anyway) Deans brand Heavy Cream which is not organci at all is the only heavy cream from a regular grocery store I've found that has only one ingredient.

I am going to have to double check- I am relatively sure that Trader Joe's Organic Heavy cream only has one ingredient- I think I will have to settle for that if I ever miss the Farmer's Market again, or trek over to Whole Foods.

Mac
    Mac is offline Senior Member
    Companies will get away with whatever they can. This is why I like to buy directly from small, local producers whenever possible. I don't trust companies as far as I can throw them regardless of what their labels say or the laws may be. Companies are in business for one purpose and that is profit and they will do what ever it takes to maximize said profit.

AutumnP is offline Senior Member
    Stuff like that ticks me off so much. Don't give me the illusion that I'm buying something "pure" when it's got a whole bunch of other crap in it, too.

FrankOcean is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AutumnP View Post
    Stuff like that ticks me off so much. Don't give me the illusion that I'm buying something "pure" when it's got a whole bunch of other crap in it, too.
    Anger!!, that happens to me too with supposed "organic products" makes me mad, Why I oughta... *shakes fist*

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    yeah we need to get onto our politicians about food labeling laws. Organic is a tricky one - it's like some things 'don't count' - it can be organic if the cream itself is organic, but the additives are somehow exempt. Not sure what the law is here in Oz.

I get annoyed with words like "creamy" when it's low-fat and full of additives or "natural" when it's 50% sugar.

Actually I think they shouldn't be allowed to use the word "energy" on any food which has more than a certain amount of carbs - in conventional parlance sugar=carbs=energy and it's just SO wrong! "I eat/drink this for energy!" yeah right, you eat it for a massive sugar rush ... *sigh*

Bummer about the cream... gotta read the labels. all of them.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen in Oz View Post
    yeah we need to get onto our politicians about food labeling laws. Organic is a tricky one - it's like some things 'don't count' - it can be organic if the cream itself is organic, but the additives are somehow exempt. Not sure what the law is here in Oz.
    I think this is the what you want but I can't get it to load: http://www.daff.gov.au/__data/assets...l-standard.pdf
    If that doesn't help then;

Check out this link: http://www.daff.gov.au/agriculture-f...nic-biodynamic

And this: http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/agriculture/farm/organic

And this: http://www.bfa.com.au/

And this: http://www.nasaa.com.au/

And this: http://www.ecofy.com.au/organic_certification.php

I'd be interested to know myself but I should be studying for a test at the moment.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    I don't think "organic" has anything to do with how many ingredients.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's actually not the "organic" that prompted my irritation with the number of ingredients. It's the fact that it's cream, itself- an elemental cooking/eating ingredient.

I feel...vaguely betrayed. I suppose I am being Pollyanna-ish about it. I can't help feeling like I bought an apple, got home, and realized that there's an ingredients label on it the bottom of it that reads: "Organic Granny Smith Apple, Citric acid, high fructose corn syrup." Although on top of that, the "organic" label is even more annoying, because most people who deliberately buy organic aren't going to want additional crap in their food. Why they gotta mess with the cream?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast