Thread: Gut Flora and Grain Processing page

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member

Gut Flora and Grain Processing

Primal Fuel
    I have been wondering if maybe Celiac and gluten sensitivity was less common in the past due to differences in gut flora.

Not that grains and their ilk are good for you, but I have wondered if maybe we did better with it in the past from a combination of better processing and the availability of useful gut flora. I mean, we've been building empires using manual labor on this sh*t, I wonder what all the extenuating circumstances are.

M.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Or maybe... GMO is causing some really major gut issues.
    Scientists say new study shows pig health hurt by GMO feed | Reuters
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I think there has always been celiac as long as people have eaten gluten grains. We don't read about it historically much because nobody knew what caused it until the 50s. The ancient Greeks were certainly aware of it.

I also think the level of celiac in the population is dose-dependent. People living in a culture where no gluten grains were ingested would never get it, while those who live in a food culture like ours, where a high percentage of the diet is products manufactured from modern high-gluten grains, would be more likely to show symptoms sooner than when eating some other diet.

Babies are born with it and need immediate diagnosis. It also affects fertility.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    eKatherine, do tell about the Greek's knowing about it. Sounds like something I need to add to my Brain-Based History Directory (TM).

M.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member