Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to deal with "non believers"? page 3

rcav8r is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Go the bobble head route...nod your head w/o saying a word, and then go on with your explanition to the original person.

Will work even better if you have yourself as an example of how well it works.

Then may later on, have a discussion with the nutritionist friend IF she's open minded enough. Give or loan a copy of PB, or links to the many paleo/primal websites (gnolss.org is a good one). But don't push.

Kj94 is offline Junior Member
    Rcav8r that's a good idea. I'm still new to this but maybe in a few months I'll have enough personal experience to back it all up. And well I did personally talk to her but either she went to tech friend as a second opinion or she saw what I posted on our friends wall about it because she asked me more about it on Facebook.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    And ye shall overthrow their altars, and break their pillars, and burn their groves with fire; and ye shall hew down the graven images of their gods, and destroy the names of them out of that place.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    The thing is, everybody's tried CW before. They've restricted calories, they've cut fat, they've bought diet foods. They've tried to exercise, and none of it has worked. So you don't really need to wait until you have more reference points when you're speaking to laymen. You can just point out that they and everyone else has tried CW many times and it has worked for next to no one. Seriously, would you trust a surgeon to operate on you if the operation he was recommending had only a 2% chance of success? That's what the probability is that someone will lose weight after going on a diet and keep it off for the rest of their lives.

But no, they didn't try hard enough, they are being told. Next time they should try harder, so they will easily lose the weight, and effortlessly keep it off.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    People don't like giving up their breads, pastries and pasta, and take offense at being told they should, and that they're doing it wrong.

I don't deal with non-believers at all, that's how I deal.

In all seriousness, it's a battle you can't win. I'm lucky in that half of my immediate department coworkers have an allergy of some kind, or are vegetarian, so diet choices are accepted now. (2 of us are mostly Primal)

Kj94 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    But no, they didn't try hard enough, they are being told. Next time they should try harder, so they will easily lose the weight, and effortlessly keep it off.
    I've heard that so many times " its about will power" or "you need to go to the gym" etc. The excuses could go on forever. Its almost like the masses are in denial and just "keep trying". I've tried a few different diets and this way of life is the one that makes the most sense.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kj94 View Post
    I've heard that so many times " its about will power" or "you need to go to the gym" etc. The excuses could go on forever. Its almost like the masses are in denial and just "keep trying". I've tried a few different diets and this way of life is the one that makes the most sense.
    It's not the fault of the diets that diets never work. It's got to be the fault of the dieter. People need to be convinced it's their fault, or they might start asking inconvenient questions. And not spending their money on that stuff.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    You can always keep it general, start with "cut down on processed foods". That CAN (and should) include things like breads and pastries. Stick to "what you could make, grow, or kill on your own"
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    The thing is, everybody's tried CW before. They've restricted calories, they've cut fat, they've bought diet foods. They've tried to exercise, and none of it has worked.
    Worked for me! Oh wait, you're saying the goal -wasn't- to provoke gall attacks? BUMMER.

M.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Cursing, spitting, histrionics, threats of physical violence, raising my voice, hyperbole, and rhetorical questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    ^This. Or I make a note of it and when I hear her espousing the need for 'meatless Mondays' or meatless days in general smack her down with her own words.

If that fails I would smile and say something like, "Thank you <insert friends name>. You know I value your opinion as much as I value our friendship." Then let her wonder how much that is.
    Yup... I didn't even bother reading any further. These first two nailed it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast