Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to deal with "non believers"? page 2

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    You really should make an effort to get to know more people.
    I would... but *sigh*, they're just so SERIOUS! It's a bit much really.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    How smart can I be? I forgot namecalling.
    Good lord man! Pay attention!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Eh, I just shrug and let them do whatever they want with their lives. Works for me; screw everyone else.

If someone I care about asks how to lose weight/deal with sickness/etc I just say "don't eat grains and sugars" and leave it at that unless they ask for more info.

Kj94 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Does this friend of yours jump all over vegetarians, vegans, raw vegans, or fruitarians over the diets they have chosen that eliminate major food groups? Does your friend tell people who strive for a fat-free low-protein extra-high carb existence that they should not be giving up fat?

I would guess not. Then why the double standard when it comes to this diet?
    Its because of what were being taught.. this was my first year and let me tell you NONE of my teachers, some of which are registered dieticians never preached against grains or legumes and said it is part of a balanced diet and that to lose weight get low fat foods, vegetable oils, and lean meats..and with vegetarians and vegans its considered "healthy" as long as supplements are taken.. personally I feel any diet where you have to take supplementary vitamins isn't healthy at all lol. But she's just spouting out what we were taught. I was fortunate enough to come across a whole foods sight that talked about the movie Fat Head and that peaked my curiosity and so now I'm here. What really troubles me is how we're supposed to be learning to help people and were hurting them instead :/.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I realize that. But it is possible to point out the disconnect in their logic to them—that they say no one should give up food groups while applauding people who do just that.

Very true.. I never thought about it like that

Owen is offline Senior Member
    I explain what food groups I eat, which ones I don't, and why I believe it works for me. I never say what other people should do.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Get the jump on her, and drag her face across the carpet until she has a really nasty carpetburn. Then tell her, You're gonna be a big ol' SCABFACE now!

My bet is that she won't be questioning your dietary choices after that.
    Jonathan Coulton

“You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Owen is offline Senior Member
    It is easier to argue against processed foods and refined sugars than it is to argue against the consumption of grains and legumes because people have been eating them for thousands of years. The reasons for avoiding them may be sound, but the science behind it is more complex and still in contention, and might be for quite some time.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    First, is the conversation really necessary? Usually, no.

Second, one has to remove oneself from the need to be right and just talk about it theoretically. As soon as you come across as someone with an agenda it kills your credibility (also, I find it just feels better to let the agenda go). Second, remember that less than 15% of persuasion is about facts and most of it is about values. So if they value being an educated person in nutrition and you endanger their sense of their education, you are not going to get anywhere. If you use that to engage their ability to think in "well, how would you analyze this" you are more likely to be successful. If that's the goal.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    I explain what food groups I eat, which ones I don't, and why I believe it works for me. I never say what other people should do.
    I was only trying to help out a friend who really wanted to lose a couple pounds before a wedding :/ she asked me and I told her what I believed and why and when the tech friend found out what I said she jumped on me about it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast