Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DHEA supplemenation page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

DHEA supplemenation

Primal Fuel
    Does anyone take this, and if so, do you notice any effect?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

CDC
    CDC is offline Member
    I do, love it and have taken for years..i monitor my blood every 3 months and see my levels...it is important for a lot of things in your body..

janie is offline Senior Member
    A big yes. I take it on the advice of an anti-aging physician. DHEA production in the body decreases with age and cortisol (bad) increases. This also happens in persons of any age who are experiencing stress. A healthy unstressed young body produces 15X as much DHEA as cortisol. Since elevated cortisol is related to many serious ills, replacing DHEA helps to manage your cortisol levels and thus can offer some protection for heart disease, obesity and diabetes as well as other problems.. It is hard for me to separate our the effects of my DHEA supplement from the other supplements I take, but it is known to protect against bone loss/osteoperosis, maintain collagen levels in the skin for a more youthful complexion, improves mood & boosts immune function. It reduces menopausal symptoms and is used in the treatment of depression. My doc said that the "normal" dose (which is age & sex dependent) is not close to optimal, which he considers to be 150-350 mcg/dl. We're working on getting me to the high end of that range.
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Lost 75# eating low carb (20-40 g) and then MDA primal low carb. Tried many other options but only LC helped me lose weight and improve health. Now at a good weight, I find my body can tolerate a few more carbs but rarely go over 100 g.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Be careful with DHEA, if you're deficient in progesterone, pregnenolone, or thyroid, if can easily convert to estrogen, and or testosterone, which an over abundance of can damage thymus gland and liver(especially estrogen)
    nihil

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Janie, What is your age and how much do you take now?
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

I'm 67 and am taking a pharmaceutical grade of 30mg sublingually.
    Lost 75# eating low carb (20-40 g) and then MDA primal low carb. Tried many other options but only LC helped me lose weight and improve health. Now at a good weight, I find my body can tolerate a few more carbs but rarely go over 100 g.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Be careful with DHEA, if you're deficient in progesterone, pregnenolone, or thyroid, if can easily convert to estrogen, and or testosterone, which an over abundance of can damage thymus gland and liver(especially estrogen)
    This. Be careful. I have taken it and it didn't do anything to correct my hormonal imbalance. I haven't ruled it out, but so far no supplements have been the answer for me.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

I'm currently reading "Life Extension Revolution" by Philip Lee Miller, M.D. one of the physicians on the board at Life Extension Foundation, an organization I trust. Interestingly, his recommendations are similar to my physician, and for those who are interested, he gives charts showing "normal" vs "optimal" levels as well as one with dosage guidelines:i.e. where to start, dosage increments, male/female dosage (which are quite different) etc. He also states that DHEA supplementation is safe for a majority of people, but says that its use by people with certain types of cancer is a source of potential concern.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    I'm 67 and am taking a pharmaceutical grade of 30mg sublingually.
    Thanks, Janie, I'm going to try it.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Cryptocode-
    You might want to check out that book I mentioned as the dosage recommendations are quite different for men. He also has a chart recommending starting points, incremental increases and max dosages based on gender.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast