Thread: Experience with Nerve Injury / Trauma? page

Pinot-Girl is offline Senior Member

Experience with Nerve Injury / Trauma?

Hi,

I am writing this on the Athletes thread in the hope that some may have experience in returning from nerve trauma and what therapies they found useful.

I'm not an athlete as such, and have suffered sciatica since a horse riding accident some 25 years ago. That pain never goes away, but improved alot when I cut grains and stopped all the inflammation (my arthritis disappeared too!!).

However in the last 4 or so weeks, I've got a sharp Sacroiliac Joint nerve entrapment that is really causing me problems. I'm seeing a Chiro but it's not shifting. He also suggested I stop all exercise?? I am a keen walker, and had just started in the Primal 'heavy lifting' which to be honest aggravated the pain, but only for the day.

If anyone has successfully rehabilitated from this or has suggestions I'm keen to hear them. Anything from alternatives to nerve block injections - open to anything right now!

thank you - and hope I haven't intruded on the 'athletes' section!

PG!

TracyfromTexas is offline Junior Member
    I am a runner/walker - an independent one, doing it to push myself. I was an athlete throughout high school. Over the years I suffered different injuries - herniated disk (c4 repaired but did not completely remove pain) and a pain which started with partial paralysis during one of my pregnancies because baby was laying on sciatic nerve. That was relieved with birth. I went many years with little problems except for a weak back and pulled muscles there. 5 years ago, I began having unexplained leg and hip nerve pain. I've put myself thru being a guinea pig - physical therapy, anti-convulsive medications, blood tests and just gave up. Until I went to a doctor who listened to all my problems. Conclusion - I had been b12 deficient over a long period of time which can cause perm nerve damage - I now take weekly injections 1mil. I am also Vitamin D deficient - not on a regular blood test and now take rx vitamin d weekly. The biggest improvement came with the antidepressant drug Pristiq. You can do the research. I don't recommend drugs. If you can do all diet to improve your blood work. I am now pain free two years later. I take lowest dose Pristiq and have taken a couple of breaks over the years to see if pain returned. It did not! Working to wean off. Good luck.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    wondering if you have cartilage damage and if you have addressed that by eating a shitton of collagen
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    How long you been seeing your Chiropractor? Chiropractic works with your bodies capacity to heal so it takes time. It takes time for your body to respond to the treatments and modify tissue accordingly.

I would ask your Chiropractor if he actually did want you to stop walking. Sometimes the prescription to "stop all exercise" isn't really meant to include walking.

I'd say eat Primal with an emphasis on bone broths and continue with your course of Chiropractic treatment. Worked for me and my herniated disc years back, and I've avoided surgery for over 20 years now with periodic "tune ups".

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    What about swimming? It as done wonders for me. I think I must be decompressing something floating/ treading water. My left knee is really weak when the nerve is mad, but I have full use and exercise it in the pool.

Pinot-Girl is offline Senior Member
    Hello guys,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've tried drugs, I can't take any of the antidepressent ones they use for nerve pain - I'm highly allergic.

Bone Broth / Collogen sounds like something I've not tried but would help.

I've been seeing the Chiro for about 4 weeks - the best treatment came 2 weeks ago when I also saw a Massage Therapist who moved the muscles in my right butt cheek that trap my sciatic nerve. The SI joint pain has eased with rest - and yes, rest included walking - I asked!! I'm back this weekend to see them both.

Over this time, the pain has reduced, I've reduced the over the counter meds I was on by about 1/2 or more, and I've been eating 'Primal'.

I'm hyper mobile so I have muscles that work as ligaments to hold me together as my ligaments are pretty useless.

Oh, yes, swimming does help, but I hate public swimming pools, and I used a 'hydrotherapy' pool before, and they have to be hot to allow you to do the exercises, a cold pool is not good, and all public ones are typically pretty chilly!

I'm off to look into bone broth, more vitamins and thank you all for replying!

PG!

breck is offline Junior Member

A couple of ideas to consider

Quote Originally Posted by Pinot-Girl View Post
    Hi,

I am writing this on the Athletes thread in the hope that some may have experience in returning from nerve trauma and what therapies they found useful.

I'm not an athlete as such, and have suffered sciatica since a horse riding accident some 25 years ago. That pain never goes away, but improved alot when I cut grains and stopped all the inflammation (my arthritis disappeared too!!).

However in the last 4 or so weeks, I've got a sharp Sacroiliac Joint nerve entrapment that is really causing me problems. I'm seeing a Chiro but it's not shifting. He also suggested I stop all exercise?? I am a keen walker, and had just started in the Primal 'heavy lifting' which to be honest aggravated the pain, but only for the day.

If anyone has successfully rehabilitated from this or has suggestions I'm keen to hear them. Anything from alternatives to nerve block injections - open to anything right now!

thank you - and hope I haven't intruded on the 'athletes' section!

PG!
    Where you are located there could be a practitioner of sacral release (not cranial sacral) as it is axis based and can re-align the spine with other beneficial side effects like the sacroiliac joint nerves and things. This I tried after whiplash from a fender bender and it helped a lot. What I used to bolster my cartilage (and to rebuild it, strengthen it and bring it back) is a bio-cell collagen product that is patented to repair cartilage (and does). Where good chiropractic, orthopedic, physical therapy and such can bring one so far this product got me over the edge so I could literally be on the treadmill again in hopes to walk, jog, bike, in-line skate, jump rope (incredible result)
    with no lower back, sacral nerve pain and such. You can visit the site at: Jusuru International, Inc to find out more
    or post too. For personal browsing key in #203728. Have to say that hope was previously out the window and now has revived at least 98%! Of course paleo diet can be a mainstay. If I were you I wouldn't challenge nerve damage too much until I rebuild a bit. It hurts too much and pain relievers hurt the liver and other organs too. It may help. Good Luck!

secondstepper is offline Junior Member
    Are you addressing tightness in your IT band, hamstring, and quad? Rolling out on foam-especially the IT band has done wonders for my sciatic pain (which admittedly is nowhere near as bad as yours). Its like targeted self massage and since massage helped you maybe this will too.

jumeitaps is offline Junior Member
    I've tried drugs, I can't take any of the antidepressent ones they use for nerve pain.thanks

enteroutdo is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My left knee is really weak when the nerve is mad, but I have full use and exercise it in the pool.