Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to lift? page

umm7 is offline Senior Member

When to lift?

Primal Fuel
    Hello all!
    I am wondering how long before lifting again if my muscles are really sore? I am wanting to lift every other day, three days a week but on the day of lifting my legs and arms are still really sore. Should I wait? Can I lift anyway?

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    You may and actually should lift anyway. It will help the soreness in the short term, and you won't find this is as much of a problem in the long term.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    every other day, 3 days a week is a decent schedule. honestly, I think everyone is different. personally, i'm pretty much always sore somewhere from my lifts. and I usually only lift twice per week. that's just my body. some people don't get very much DOMS at all.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Don't be afraid of some soreness, it will very often go away after a good warmup...

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    It depends on you. If you lift without consideration of your body's responses and recovery, you could mess up your training.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    It depends on you. If you lift without consideration of your body's responses and recovery, you could mess up your training.
    That's true, of course. But soreness is a poor indicator. Extra warm-ups are the order of the day, not skipped workouts.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    That's true, of course. But soreness is a poor indicator. Extra warm-ups are the order of the day, not skipped workouts.
    Why would someone skip a workout? Finding the ideal workout frequency should be the first thing one does when starting training.

If I exercised sore, I'd have ended up quitting not long after I started. That wouldn't work for me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Why would someone skip a workout? Finding the ideal workout frequency should be the first thing one does when starting training.

If I exercised sore, I'd have ended up quitting not long after I started. That wouldn't work for me at all.
    Well, you can choose to do something that's not optimal because you find it more enjoyable, but I was answering the question (which asked about working out while sore vs skipping a workout in the 3-a-week setup the OP was interested in) from a results-oriented standpoint.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Another method to get less sore; train more often! Athletes that train twice a day seldom get sore...

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Well, you can choose to do something that's not optimal because you find it more enjoyable, but I was answering the question (which asked about working out while sore vs skipping a workout in the 3-a-week setup the OP was interested in) from a results-oriented standpoint.
    You can make decisions on what you are going to do for a workout. But you can't change your body's need for recovery based on what works for someone else. That's what my answer was based on. Just because I wanted to do your workout doesn't mean I could make it work for me.

There really isn't anything in that question that talks about skipping workouts. Longer rest when sore is also a reasonable interpretation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast