Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When to lift? page 2

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    You can make decisions on what you are going to do for a workout. But you can't change your body's need for recovery based on what works for someone else. That's what my answer was based on. Just because I wanted to do your workout doesn't mean I could make it work for me.

There really isn't anything in that question that talks about skipping workouts. Longer rest when sore is also a reasonable interpretation.
    And my point was that soreness is a poor indicator in where one is in the recovery cycle. Recovery's a biochemical issue, not a "how your muscles feel" issue.

I'm assuming the OP is a novice lifter (or he'd already have figured out the answers to his question). Novices get really sore, and stay that way. And the best cure for soreness is another workout, like Gorbag alluded to. The worst thing he could do for progress is decide to wait until all soreness is gone before working out again, because it would fail to take advantage of the optimum point in the supercompensation cycle to provide his muscles an additional stimulus.

Please see the following: Stress (biology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not sure what distinction you're drawing between longer rest and skipping a workout. If I'm supposed to work out 3 times in a week, but I decide to get some "longer rest" and only work out 2 times in a week, I call that skipping a workout. If you call it something else, that's fine too, but not necessarily informative.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    And my point was that soreness is a poor indicator in where one is in the recovery cycle. Recovery's a biochemical issue, not a "how your muscles feel" issue.

I'm not sure what distinction you're drawing between longer rest and skipping a workout. If I'm supposed to work out 3 times in a week, but I decide to get some "longer rest" and only work out 2 times in a week, I call that skipping a workout. If you call it something else, that's fine too, but not necessarily informative.
    this. very much this.

umm7 is offline Senior Member
    Training twice a day sounds good. How to go about putting together a routine for that? I tried downloading apps and going to different websites to put together routines and it was an over load of info.

Can I repeat what I'm doing twice in one day?

Squats
    Bench presses
    Bar rows bent over
    Good Mornings

I couldn't figure out how to load the bar on the floor so no dead lifts.
    I can only do squats until I can no longer lift the bar and weights over my head. Squat racks are spendy.

I have great weights/olympic bar and some dumbbells. I just didn't/don't know what to do with them besides what I do now.

Sounds like you're a novice lifter, and I'd recommend a novice linear progression. The idea, unfortunately, is not to minimize soreness, but to maximize progress. I personally like Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength program. Buy the book regardless of what program you choose, however. It will help teach you how to perform the barbell lifts correctly.

Also I'm a woman and yes, very new to lifting.

I have that book, haven't read it yet. I will start today. I read NROL4W but the routine wasn't for me. Where would you suggest getting a routine from?

Quote Originally Posted by umm7 View Post
    I have that book, haven't read it yet. I will start today. I read NROL4W but the routine wasn't for me. Where would you suggest getting a routine from?
    My first choice would be Starting Strength.
    Last edited by RichMahogany; 06-12-2013 at 09:09 AM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you everyone for your input!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12