Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Rice v. Potato v. Quinoa v. Whole Wheat Pasta page 6

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    Potatoes are GREAT. Remove their skin and process them the way you want. Some eat them raw for the resistant starch (RS) but palatability may lack cruelly.
    I want to comment on two points, here.

Potato skins technically contain mild toxins. You're 100% correct that removing the skins lowers the toxin load of potatoes. I do not remove the potato skins on young, unblemished white potatoes with no eyes growing out of them. If the potatoes are sprouting, I remove them to the point where there are no bumps or eyes remaining. There are toxins in every plant food. Greens have some of the highest toxins in vegetables, but in their case, the benefits far outweigh the toxins (unlike, say, wheat and soy!). That being said, I believe the toxin load of potatoes to be even lower versus greens. There are downsides to every food on Earth, and IMO, the downside of small amounts of toxins inpotato skins on fresh, unblemished potatoes aren't worth the pleasure of the taste.

That being said, no one should eat raw potatoes. They are actually toxic. You should not eat uncooked starch as that could truly make you sick, similar to eating raw beans (ex: raw kidney beans could kill you). You need to fully cook starch to make it edible. If you want to eat potatoes for resistant starch, cook them fully, then chill them in the fridge overnight and eat them cold. Never, ever eat raw white potatoes. Plus, they're disgusting raw so no harm there!
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 06-14-2013 at 07:18 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    The reason I don't eat potatoes is because I wanted the weight loss associated with a low carb diet and to that end it's worked perfectly, I've never looked or felt better.

Now with regards to all this talk about toxicity I have no doubts you are probably correct but as to what degree they actually impact your health I'm very skeptical.

I come from an English working background and nearly all my relatives lived well into their 90's on diets of high fat meats, lots of green veggies and root veggies including lots of potatoes. My grandfathers in their 60's looked like most current Americans do in their 30's. I think the main factors in their well being was that they didn't eat hardly any processed crap or sugar laden products. They also didn't have rice or pasta -" I'm not eating that foreign muck "
    Another factor they all shared was that they had all done hard physical labor to earn their incomes and if they went anywhere after work it was usually on foot, no jumping in the car to go to the store, they walked there and lugged the bags of groceries back.
    So back to the toxicity issue, yeah maybe if they had eaten less potatoes they might have lived to 100- My point being if weight is not really the issue for you and you love your taters then have your bloody taters, lash them with a big dollop of grass fed butter and enjoy them like my grandparents did.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I never said deprive your body of fat. I said refined oils are not foods, they are empty calories. Want fat? Eat a steak. Eat eggs. Drink whole milk. Have an avocado. Grab a handful of nuts. Eat coconut. At no point should you be eating coconut oil, butter and tallow by the spoonful. That is a waste of calories and will only lead to weight gain.
    Gack. What agrees with you doesn't agree with me.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    l Most glass noodles I can find are made in China from soy bean starch ... out of the question, and there were a few scandals related to lead and aluminum contamination due to unscrupulous and illegal processing.
    Most glass noodles are made from mung bean starch. Mung beans are not soybeans. Soybeans are not a good source of starch, as they are higher in protein and fat than regular legumes.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Gack. What agrees with you doesn't agree with me.
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. I can eat a slice of butter and it's not going to "disagree" with me. My digestion will be fine. I'll feel fine. But there is no more effective way of gaining body fat because nothing is more likely to be stored on your body as fat than refined oils.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456