Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 55

Thread: Rice v. Potato v. Quinoa v. Whole Wheat Pasta page 4

  1. #31
    john_e_turner_ii's Avatar
    john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Posts
    2,064
    Shop Now
    Yes on giving it time for your allergies to subside. I especially benefitted from giving up dairy. I still do butter and some cream on occasion, but that's it. I freed myself two years ago after over several years of taking weekly allergy serum injections. Now, I get occasional congestion at the peak of allergy season, but nothing that requires medication.

    On another topic: Ok, so wait, nuts are bad?

  2. #32
    oxide's Avatar
    oxide is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    MD/VA/DC
    Posts
    1,106
    Rice vs. Potato vs. Quinoa vs. Whole Wheat.... which one has the most vitamins????
    The original question is Epic Fail.

    Pitting one against the other is like watching those NFL replacement games with the substandard players (or referees). They all suck and you should chuck them all out and throw down for the good stuff.

    This isn't about wheat vs. rice. This is about wheatORriceORpotatoORquinoaORcorn vs. Vegetables. Vegetables win hands down.
    This isn't about wheat vs. potato. This is about wheatORriceORpotatoORquinoaORcorn vs. Meat. Meat wins hands down.
    This isn't about wheat vs. quinoa. This is about wheatORriceORpotatoORquinoaORcorn vs. Coconut oil or Butter. Coconut oil and butter win hands down.

    But if you insist, why should you avoid whole wheat?
    Because it's got antinutrients other than gluten.
    Because it jams up your insulin.
    Because you're supporting Big Agriculture.
    Because whole wheat is usually a main ingredient in some other processed garbage. That means wheat usually comes attached to sugar, high fucktose corn syrup, soy oils, CAFO meat, and GMO up the wazoo.
    Because it's got carbs, and your "calories out" half of the equation (i.e. your energy burning hormones) SUCKS for carbs.
    Because the modern wheat has gliadin, which is a mildly addictive drug. It attaches to dopamine receptors and makes you eat more.
    Because your stomach doesn't understand carbs so you can eat a 800 calorie Cinnabon and not feel full.

    And that's if you're gluten tolerant. If you're not, then you get acid reflux, skin rashes, inflamed joints, insulin roller coaster, acne, body fat and who knows what else.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

    MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

  3. #33
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    4,869
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I see refined fats anecdotally the same as I see refined sugars. For example, coconut oil is pretty much white sugar. There is no nutritional content worth mentioning in either, they both go straight to your liver and they both elevate your metabolic rate slightly while providing lots of empty calories. So what if one is a fat and one is a sugar? It has the same effect on the body.
    Depriving my body of fat ultimately leads to binging, which indicates to me that the effect is not the same, just as telling myself I don't need protein would result in craving protein and eventually binging on it.

    So I consume fat.

  4. #34
    Grokkette's Avatar
    Grokkette is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    Rice vs. Potato vs. Quinoa vs. Whole Wheat.... which one has the most vitamins????
    The original question is Epic Fail.

    Pitting one against the other is like watching those NFL replacement games with the substandard players (or referees). They all suck and you should chuck them all out and throw down for the good stuff.

    This isn't about wheat vs. rice. This is about wheatORriceORpotatoORquinoaORcorn vs. Vegetables. Vegetables win hands down.
    This isn't about wheat vs. potato. This is about wheatORriceORpotatoORquinoaORcorn vs. Meat. Meat wins hands down.
    This isn't about wheat vs. quinoa. This is about wheatORriceORpotatoORquinoaORcorn vs. Coconut oil or Butter. Coconut oil and butter win hands down.
    Actually, it's not about that. It's about exactly what I asked because it's my post and my question. I do eat some starchy carbs, and I'd like to be able to make informed decisions about which starchy carbs are the least damaging to my health.

    I'm suprised at the amount of people having this type of response as if I need your personal permission to eat carbs. lol I'm not asking your permission. My question is what it is, you don't have to like my dietary choices. Get over yourself.

    ***

    And ditto to what Katherine said. Fat has been an extremely invaluable tool for me, but everyone is different.
    Last edited by Grokkette; 06-13-2013 at 02:49 PM.

  5. #35
    max219's Avatar
    max219 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    443
    Grokkette, I eat a ton of starch now a days, and I feel best after white rice and white and sweet potatoes. Have been experimenting with white wheat (I am not intolerant), and feel gassy after eating it. I try not to eat corn and wheat mostly because it's usually GMO and I view them as taking up space for food I'd rather eat. As for quinoa, I always thought of it as bird food.

    I also do real well with fruits, feeling energized and digest them well. Been eating a lot of bananas which could be kinda starchy if not fully ripe.

  6. #36
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,536
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokkette View Post
    Actually, it's not about that. It's about exactly what I asked because it's my post and my question. I do eat some starchy carbs, and I'd like to be able to make informed decisions about which starchy carbs are the least damaging to my health.

    I'm suprised at the amount of people having this type of response as if I need your personal permission to eat carbs. lol I'm not asking your permission. My question is what it is, you don't have to like my dietary choices. Get over yourself.

    ***

    And ditto to what Katherine said. Fat has been an extremely invaluable tool for me, but everyone is different.
    You are absolutely correct.

    Oxide's post is more "paleo platitudes" than fact. Grains are universally more nutritious than coconut oil or butter. Grains are closer to real food than refined oils. Butter and coconut oil are as neolithic as a food can be. Grains are far more ancient, and potatoes aren't even in the same league as they are more nutritious per calorie than many meats, vegetables and fruits.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  7. #37
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,536
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Depriving my body of fat ultimately leads to binging, which indicates to me that the effect is not the same, just as telling myself I don't need protein would result in craving protein and eventually binging on it.

    So I consume fat.
    I never said deprive your body of fat. I said refined oils are not foods, they are empty calories. Want fat? Eat a steak. Eat eggs. Drink whole milk. Have an avocado. Grab a handful of nuts. Eat coconut. At no point should you be eating coconut oil, butter and tallow by the spoonful. That is a waste of calories and will only lead to weight gain.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  8. #38
    Grokkette's Avatar
    Grokkette is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I never said deprive your body of fat. I said refined oils are not foods, they are empty calories. Want fat? Eat a steak. Eat eggs. Drink whole milk. Have an avocado. Grab a handful of nuts. Eat coconut. At no point should you be eating coconut oil, butter and tallow by the spoonful. That is a waste of calories and will only lead to weight gain.
    Fair enough. I only use oil and butter for sauteing and salad dressing, and I'll probably continue to do so, but I get your point. By the spoonful? Um, no thanks! Yick! If I'm *trying* to supplement fat (like on a day I know it's going to be hours before my next meal, and I don't want to be gnawing on my coworker's arm), half an avocado with lemon juice and salt is to die for. Also, cheese, but like I said, trying to ditch the dairy.

  9. #39
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,536
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokkette View Post
    Fair enough. I only use oil and butter for sauteing and salad dressing, and I'll probably continue to do so, but I get your point. By the spoonful? Um, no thanks! Yick! If I'm *trying* to supplement fat (like on a day I know it's going to be hours before my next meal, and I don't want to be gnawing on my coworker's arm), half an avocado with lemon juice and salt is to die for. Also, cheese, but like I said, trying to ditch the dairy.
    That IMO is how it's done properly. Eat food, not oils. They're cooking tools. That being said, I consider cheese considerably healthier than avocado. Much higher quality fats, lots of protein (and the highest quality protein in nature) versus virtually no protein, much more fat soluble vitamins (particularly A&K in cheese)...it smacks up avocado pretty badly. That being said, avocado+cheddar+lime juice is a fantastic combination, so why not both? I like to make a higher protein/lower fat guacamole by mixing 1% or 0% Greek yogurt with avocado, lemon juice, garlic, cilantro, salt, pepper, cumin and paprika. It may be better than regular guacamole. Incredible.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  10. #40
    OldSchhool's Avatar
    OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    1,618
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I never said deprive your body of fat. I said refined oils are not foods, they are empty calories. Want fat? Eat a steak. Eat eggs. Drink whole milk. Have an avocado. Grab a handful of nuts. Eat coconut. At no point should you be eating coconut oil, butter and tallow by the spoonful. That is a waste of calories and will only lead to weight gain.
    How do you conclude that eating coconut oil or butter by the spoon is a waste of calories ? If you are on a low carb diet so that your bodies primary energy source is derived from ingested fats then they are just fuel for the body no matter how they are delivered. Only if your calorific intake for the day has been reached will any surplus lead to weight gain !

    I often top up my fat intake by adding some coconut oil and/or butter to my coffee.
    Last edited by OldSchhool; 06-13-2013 at 08:08 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •