Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rice v. Potato v. Quinoa v. Whole Wheat Pasta page 3

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    This.

I didn't think I had any health issues before. You really don't know how sick you were until you experience true health!
    ^This.

Because of this, I see no reason to logically eat wheat, and my avoidance of it for so long has taken away any taste I once had for it. The caloric content is high, the toxin load is high and the nutrient value is low. That makes it a poor quality food at best and a downright toxic food at worst. And remember, for 98% of us, wheat isn't going to be immediately toxic. It will happen over years or decades. Autoimmune conditions take a very long time to develop. Removing wheat from my diet has eliminated nearly all my outdoor allergies and really helped my tolerance to cat and dog dander. YMMV.
    ^And this.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

max219 is offline Senior Member
    Again, it took me 2 entire years and I have bulletproof digestion with no measurable food sensitivities.
    Did you use bulletproof coffee to get to that point too?

Just kidding. But anyway I am young like you too (only 22). I probably do consume too much CAFO meat and dairy. Oh well, allergies are allergies.

Grokkette is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleen View Post
    What reason would you have? You are on the Paleo diet, and Grok didn't eat wheat?
    Nope. I eat a Primal-inspired diet. And "Because Mark Sisson said so," or "Because Grok didn't eat it," are not acceptable answers when my dad asks me why I think he should stop eating wheat.

Because they are generally more nutritious than refined fats. The only refined fats with any nutrition worth mentioning is pastured butter and red palm oil. Everything else is pretty much empty calories. Molasses is more nutrient dense than some actual foods, and maple syrup and honey both have well over 50 bioactive compounds and antioxidants. There is also nothing more fattening than isolated fat, too. I do not fear incidental fat built into food, but adding refined oils is the very definition of empty calories.
    Ah, I see. Well, I don't really consider fats and oils in the same vein as sugar replacements. I use my fats mostly for satiety, flavor, energy, and because if I didn't eat fats, I don't know how I'd fill that calorie void other than with sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Regarding hives and skin reactions: wheat is high in histamines, which may be the reason for improvements in seasonal allergies and skin rashes/itching The Food List - Histamine Intolerance

The more foods you eat that are high in histamines, the greater your chances of symptoms if you lack the enzyme that breaks down histamine.
    Thanks for that link!

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    You answered your own question " I do believe I have a mild sensitivity to gluten"
    If you want to eat glucose please do but don't try and justify your sugar addiction.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    I did not have any allergies during my wheat days. I was just binge eating wheat based stuff, usually loaded with refined sugar and other crap fat and grew fat in a bad way. I was probably eating more than my energy expenditure with 3 to 4 meals / day and snacking wheat based stuff in-between, engulfing packs of cookies before going to bed, etc. It gave me 0 energy and stamina, got constantly foggy in my mind and I had very poor sleep. And you know what ? I thought I was doing fine!!!!

LerxstFan is offline Junior Member
    [QUOTE=ChocoTaco369;1220814]

It takes a long time for allergies to get better. If you keep it up strictly, maybe it'll get better for next season or the season after. Again, it took me 2 entire years and I have bulletproof digestion with no measurable food sensitivities. I'm 2.5 years into this lifestyle currently, almost all my meals have always been home-cooked and I'm barely 27. Many of the people on this site are older than me and have more sensitivities and issues from much longer periods of abusing their bodies with processed foods, so it stands to reason it'll take them even longer to recover.

[QUOTE=ChocoTaco369;1220814]

This is a timely thread...I have been mostly primal/paleo since the start of this year and don't eat wheat, grains, or processed food any more. This time last year, I would be eating a small bowl of cheez-its every other night. The last time I had some late last year, they tasted like dust and I wondered why the heck I loved them so much - LOL.

Primal/paleo for me has greatly reduced my allergies during this time. Living in NH where the pollen can be so bad you can see it floating on the breeze and covering your car in a sheet of yellow/green dust in just a few hours, I used to live on Claritin-D and take a 24 hour pill almost daily spring through summer to get by. I also have allergies to per dander.

Since adopting a primal/paleo lifestyle, I have not had to take ANY allergy medicine this season and feel better than I have in years - I'll be 43 in a few weeks I know there could be other factors for this change, but this is the most significant change I have made, so I think it must be having some positive impact on my allergies.
    "These amps go to 11..." Nigel Tufnel, Spinal Tap

SW: 225
    CW: 177
    GW: 170
    M/43/6'

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    I don't have an issue with wheat, but I do buy this:

White Einkorn Pasta

I really like the texture it has.

The also have really good "canned" tomatoes in glass jars.
    Last edited by Lynna; 06-13-2013 at 06:58 AM.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokkette View Post
    Ah, I see. Well, I don't really consider fats and oils in the same vein as sugar replacements. I use my fats mostly for satiety, flavor, energy, and because if I didn't eat fats, I don't know how I'd fill that calorie void other than with sugar.
    I see refined fats anecdotally the same as I see refined sugars. For example, coconut oil is pretty much white sugar. There is no nutritional content worth mentioning in either, they both go straight to your liver and they both elevate your metabolic rate slightly while providing lots of empty calories. So what if one is a fat and one is a sugar? It has the same effect on the body.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post
    I don't have an issue with wheat, but I do buy this:

White Einkorn Pasta

I really like the texture it has.
    Yikes. That is really expensive. If you still do pasta every now and again, I recommend Trader Joe's organic brown rice penne pasta. Their spaghetti is lousy, but this is strikingly similar to wheat pasta in taste and texture, it's only $1.99/lb, the only ingredients are "organic brown rice and water" and it's still an improvement over Einkorn wheat.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    No TJs close enough to shop at. In fact no WFs either, both are close to 20 miles and a major traffic headache away.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast