Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rice v. Potato v. Quinoa v. Whole Wheat Pasta page 2

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    100% right. I grew up in France eating baguettes and croissants and whatnot made of wheat. October 1st 2012 was the first day of my wheat free journey and I have not looked back once. Best move I made on the nutrition side of things.
    It's also important to note that in Europe, you're at least getting actual wheat. Here, you're probably getting mutant GMO dwarf wheat. I have a good friend from Thailand of East Indian descent. Admittedly, she didn't eat all that much wheat and was a heavy rice consumer due to culture, but coming here, she developed a lot of acne and allergies. She went to her (Indian) doctor, and the first thing he asked was if she'd been consuming "American wheat." He stated that "American wheat" was "different." She'll never give up rice (and I see no reason for anyone to, really) but I do have her eating mostly wheat-free, and sugar makes her very ill as well. Amazingly, removal of American wheat and pasteurized milk has given her absolutely glowing skin with not a single blemish. I'm serious - it was absolutely amazing because her acne was absolutely terrible and now it is 100% GONE.

I neglected to mention GMO's in my original post, which is a huge reason to eliminate wheat. I doubt many of us are soaking and sprouting einkorn wheat, grinding it into flour and fermenting it
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    There's a whole other level of health above feeling fine, too, that you may wish to consider when you remove poverty foods from your table.
    There Is Another Level Above “I’m Doing Fine” - GNOLLS.ORG
    This.

I didn't think I had any health issues before. You really don't know how sick you were until you experience true health!
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Most starch foods in nature are coupled with plenty of defensive toxins--the question is how they're prepared. Potato and rice toxins are destroyed above boiling temperature. Some others are destroyed by fermentation. But wheat toxins are not and ya--WGA's rap sheet may be worse than gluten.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by upupandaway View Post
    The benefits of quinoa (my emphasis):

" In the case of Quinoa, it contains soap-like molecules called saponins. Unlike gluten, which attaches to a carrier molecule in the intestines, saponins simply punch holes in the membranes of the microvilli cells. Yes, that’s bad. Saponins are so irritating to the immune system that they are used in vaccine research to help the body mount a powerful immune response. The bottom line is if you think grains or grain-like items like Quinoa are healthy or benign, you are not considering the full picture."

How to Keep Feces Out of Your Bloodstream (or Lose 10 Pounds in 14 Days)
    If you bought your quinoa from your grocer, then you do not have to worry about saponin contaminating your food. Most of the quinoa products that are sold in North America have been sufficiently processed to eliminate the unpalatable saponin coating. If you haven’t experienced any bitter aftertaste, then you are eating commercial-grade quinoa. It is safe from saponin even if you failed to soak or rinse it.

Grokkette is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for all the input; there's a lot of good info here which is exactly what I was hoping for.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    If you get stomach cramps after eating wheat, you cannot tolerate it. You are kidding yourself. You are either gluten intolerant or celiac.

Glycemic index is a useless measure for purpose of weight control.
    I do consider myself gluten intolerant, I was just wondering in general. My concern about diet and nutrition isn't just for myself but also for my family and friends. And I'm not concerned with weight control. I'm extremely active and not overly concerned with being super fit or anything. My main concern regarding glycemic index is what kind of insulin spike foods cause since this has a major impact on long-term health.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post

1.) WGA - wheat germ agglutinin - could be an even bigger problem than gluten. I'll leave it up to you to research this lectin, but WGA content is going to be much more prevalent in whole wheat pasta because the germ is removed in white flour.

2.) Phytic acid content - whole wheat pasta has more whan white flour. Mark Sisson posted a study years ago that showed people that ate whole wheat pasta actually absorbed less nutrients than people that ate white flour pasta. It was interesting to say the least, though I don't have a link.

3.) Nutrient density and bioavailability... the real nutrients in potato or white rice flour you can actually use while the nutrients in wheat are a small fraction of what is actually shown.

4.) Insoluble fiber. Fiber is popular in CW, but just like there are different types of fats, there are different types of fibers. Soluble fiber, found in roots, tubers and legumes, feed gut bacteria and promote healthy digestion. Some soluble fibers and resistant starches ferment in the large intestine and produce short-chain fatty acids like butyrate, which are beneficial. Insoluble grain fibers, however, are known to scar the colon and lead to colon cancer.

Removing wheat from my diet has eliminated nearly all my outdoor allergies and really helped my tolerance to cat and dog dander. YMMV.
    Lots of good info here, thanks! Skin and allergies has been my main reason for removing wheat from my diet as well. I break out in hives every spring. This year, my hives were significantly milder and more short lived than they usually are, I suspect due to my decreased intake of wheat. I do still eat wheat on occasion, though. I do plan to eliminate it entirely by next spring to observe its impact on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I consider organic masa harina to be healthier than almonds, and I consider molasses, maple syrup and honey to be healthier than fats like lard, tallow, olive oil, avocado oil, etc.

I wouldn't eat quinoa. IMO if you're going to go for something grain-like, the best options are traditional corn tortillas and nixtamalized grits (known as hominy).
    Why do you consider molasses, maple syrup, and honey to be healthier than the fats you mentioned?

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    What reason would you have? You are on the Paleo diet, and Grok didn't eat wheat?

I do like me some Quinoa pasta on occasion, though.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokkette View Post
    Lots of good info here, thanks! Skin and allergies has been my main reason for removing wheat from my diet as well. I break out in hives every spring. This year, my hives were significantly milder and more short lived than they usually are, I suspect due to my decreased intake of wheat. I do still eat wheat on occasion, though. I do plan to eliminate it entirely by next spring to observe its impact on my skin.
    It took about 2 years of adherence to really notice the effects. I still had some allergy issues last year. This year I was free and clear. I think I've sneezed 3 times in the past 3 months. If you're not immediately better, don't give up. It takes years (or sometimes decades) to develop autoimmune conditions. It may take years to clear them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokkette View Post
    Why do you consider molasses, maple syrup, and honey to be healthier than the fats you mentioned?
    Because they are generally more nutritious than refined fats. The only refined fats with any nutrition worth mentioning is pastured butter and red palm oil. Everything else is pretty much empty calories. Molasses is more nutrient dense than some actual foods, and maple syrup and honey both have well over 50 bioactive compounds and antioxidants. There is also nothing more fattening than isolated fat, too. I do not fear incidental fat built into food, but adding refined oils is the very definition of empty calories.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Regarding hives and skin reactions: wheat is high in histamines, which may be the reason for improvements in seasonal allergies and skin rashes/itching The Food List - Histamine Intolerance

The more foods you eat that are high in histamines, the greater your chances of symptoms if you lack the enzyme that breaks down histamine.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

max219 is offline Senior Member
    Choco, I haven't been eating wheat all spring (except one day I had a few slices of pizza), and my allergies have been extremely bad for 2 months now! Whats up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by max219 View Post
    Choco, I haven't been eating wheat all spring (except one day I had a few slices of pizza), and my allergies have been extremely bad for 2 months now! Whats up with that?
    I don't mean to be a jerk by this response, but probably because it was the start of allergy season 2 months ago.

It takes a long time for allergies to get better. If you keep it up strictly, maybe it'll get better for next season or the season after. Again, it took me 2 entire years and I have bulletproof digestion with no measurable food sensitivities. I'm 2.5 years into this lifestyle currently, almost all my meals have always been home-cooked and I'm barely 27. Many of the people on this site are older than me and have more sensitivities and issues from much longer periods of abusing their bodies with processed foods, so it stands to reason it'll take them even longer to recover.

Also, wheat isn't the only possible trigger. It could be homogenized CAFO dairy, oats, corn, soy, a variety of food additives you're unaware you're consuming, environmental toxins...who knows. Likely, if you stick to this lifestyle for months or years they will improve, but it's also likely that you'll never be 100%. Again, pets still bother me, but before it was severe. Now it's more mild.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 06-12-2013 at 07:54 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast