Thread: IFing vs Cutting Diet (Seeking Female Advice) page

dallytante is offline Member

IFing vs Cutting Diet (Seeking Female Advice)

Primal Fuel
    Not sure if this has been addressed, but here goes: If IF is supposed to be great for getting lean, and seems to be encouraged on this site, why is that bodybuilders/weightlifters (the healthy non-fanatical sort) prefer the 6 meals/day regimen?

I currently gravitate toward an IF diet, but haven't found that it's done anything in terms of body comp or weight loss. It's just pragmatically easier for me.

For women taking hormonal contraception, which protocol would yield greater results, i.e. faster fat loss?

Stats are 5'5", 145, pear-shaped, struggling to get down to 135lbs, i.e. the weight at which the dress fits.

Anyone have experience trying both IFing and cutting? What would you recommend?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Dallytante, when do you need to fit in your dress, which part doesn't fit and how long you need to keep the weight off?

If you have a long time frame, say a year to 18 months, try Lean gain. It works for some women, but likely will have to be LG on the overall deficit (~ 30%) as opposite to LG on the overall maintenance.

If your timeline is short, you will need to cut. If you have less than a month, start cutting on higher fat, lower carbs, then do a week of virtually no fat and low carb and water reduction; If you have good 2 months, look into something like an ultimate diet, when you do 4-5 days below 1000 cals on high protein, moderate fat and ~ 30-50 g carbs, 1 day at ~ maintenance level, and 1 day of pure starch (~ 600-700 g carbs), no fat (basically boiled potatoes).

Or you can try the famous potato hack and see if you are one of the folks who can live on 3-6 potatoes a day for a couple of weeks.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    There are plenty of bodybuilders now who are doing paleo and/or intermittent fasting to get lean and stay lean. It's all the rage. Nate Miyaki is the go-to diet guru now with his intermittent feast protocol for physique and performance athletes. Check him out.

Nate Miyaki

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    I don't have any advice, but coincidentally, I ran across this article today:

Paleo for Women | Fasting

heatherdarbs Guest
    They both screw me up and my body fights back. What about your body's natural rhythm? I doubt it's flawed.

heatherdarbs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Huarache Gal View Post
    I don't have any advice, but coincidentally, I ran across this article today:

Paleo for Women | Fasting
    REALLY, really great link; thank you~

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dallytante View Post
    why is that bodybuilders/weightlifters (the healthy non-fanatical sort) prefer the 6 meals/day regimen?
    Why does everyone recommend low-fat and heart-healthy grains? Because it's habit and what they're told to do.

Actually even the bodybuilders/weightlifters say the 6 meals/day is a myth nowadays. At least the female forum section I hang out in, and they admit meal timing is completely irrelevant -- as well as knocking the women who come in with questions and have not an ounce of good fat in their diets. It's nice to see, and they have a great amount of sanity and tough love that I appreciate.

Was on BC and tried IF for a long time, it was convenient but I didn't notice any major shift in composition, personally. It helps me control hunger though, so for that it's valuable.
    Last edited by Nivanthe; 06-14-2013 at 01:42 AM.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Try steak and eggs for 5-6 days a week, and 1-2 days of high starch low fat. Do that for at least a month and work out wisely. Consider recovery periods, good sleep and low chronic stress as important as physical activity.