Thread: anyone read this article previously? page

sting is offline Senior Member

anyone read this article previously?

Shop Now
    if so just wondering if they could translate it in layman's? I tried reading it but to complicated with English not being my first language.

http://www.jlr.org/content/23/2/243.full.pdf

Would be appreciated thanks
    Last edited by sting; 06-12-2013 at 02:06 AM.

richard is offline Senior Member
    I read it over very quickly.

The body may not be able to deal with erucic acid, an omega 9 fatty acid. The results are fat deposits in the heart and also high fat levels in the blood plasma.

It was an argument against using canola oil at the time, in 1982. There are plenty of arguments against using canola oil still. But seed oils have been bred to be low in erucic acid in more recent times.

Thanks Richard they mentioned monounsaturated fats in the study what did they have to say about them if you don't mind?, where i got lost was i thought monounsaturated fats were medium chain fatty acids which burn faster than long chain fatty acids like saturated fats, but in this article they kept mentioning tham as 22 long chain fatty acids?

richard is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sting View Post
    Thanks Richard they mentioned monounsaturated fats in the study what did they have to say about them if you don't mind?, where i got lost was i thought monounsaturated fats were medium chain fatty acids which burn faster than long chain fatty acids like saturated fats, but in this article they kept mentioning tham as 22 long chain fatty acids?
    they are talking about 22:1 omega 9 fatty acids. Erucic acid is one, and they have bred this out of "modern" crap edible oils mostly since this study. A lot of vegetable oils have omega 9 fats in them still I'm sure...

OK thanks