Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Looking for Primal Camping Food page

  1. #1
    wiltondeportes's Avatar
    wiltondeportes Guest

    Looking for Primal Camping Food

    I'm going to be in Yosemite in a week for a week (hooyah!), and I'll have to provide myself with some pack food. It'll amount to about 3 days worth of food. What's the best way to go about this? I realize getting true "primal" pack food will be difficult, so my only hard limit is no gluten.

    Ideas?

  2. #2
    Paleo0731's Avatar
    Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    357
    Well you could do organic canned tuna and salmon, jerky, your oils, seeds and nuts, dried fruits and veggies that can go a couple days without a fridge.
    Last edited by Paleo0731; 06-12-2013 at 03:41 AM.

  3. #3
    Paleo0731's Avatar
    Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    357
    This could also be a good time to do some intermittent fasting as well.

  4. #4
    wiltondeportes's Avatar
    wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleo0731 View Post
    Well you could do organic canned tuna and salmon, jerky, your oils, seeds and nuts, dried fruits and veggies that can go a couple days without a fridge.
    Of course... I suppose my ultimate question is going to be weight; got to keep the pack light. Canned fish, jerky, nut/fruit mixes, stable butter (ghee?) sound like my best options. Maybe a little chocolate for morale.

    I guess I was thinking there might be something *different* out there. There are brands of food specifically for backpacking, so I thought there must be some out there who also adhere to primal-like nutritional guidelines. However, then I'm asking:
    1. Is the nutrition more compacted than the foods just listed above? Maybe the food itself is no more dense, but the packaging is a couple pounds lighter? (a big difference)
    2. How much will it cost? Anything like this sounds like a premium food that will be like $20 per day for food needs. Correct me if I'm wrong!

    So any ideas down that line of thinking?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleo0731 View Post
    This could also be a good time to do some intermittent fasting as well.
    I don't want to lose any weight though. Nice idea, but not for me. I fast everyday anyways. I'm often a dinner-only kind of person.

    I'm also planning for survival in the wilderness. You don't plan for survival by ignoring bodily needs because it'll make you tougher or fitter.

  5. #5
    DFord's Avatar
    DFord is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    51
    Invest in a good dehydrator. Dehydrate frozen veggies put off to the side. Dehydrate lean ground beef put off to the side. Package them separate for the trip. Rehydrate in a cookpot add either a little butter (if for the first day or two) or a little olive oil for later in the trip plus spices of choice.

    Becareful with the olive oil, some containers leak. A metal alcohol flask has worked best for me.

    Most of the pre packaged hiking food is salt and carb laden junk unfortunately.



    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    Of course... I suppose my ultimate question is going to be weight; got to keep the pack light. Canned fish, jerky, nut/fruit mixes, stable butter (ghee?) sound like my best options. Maybe a little chocolate for morale.

    I guess I was thinking there might be something *different* out there. There are brands of food specifically for backpacking, so I thought there must be some out there who also adhere to primal-like nutritional guidelines. However, then I'm asking:
    1. Is the nutrition more compacted than the foods just listed above? Maybe the food itself is no more dense, but the packaging is a couple pounds lighter? (a big difference)
    2. How much will it cost? Anything like this sounds like a premium food that will be like $20 per day for food needs. Correct me if I'm wrong!

    So any ideas down that line of thinking?



    I don't want to lose any weight though. Nice idea, but not for me. I fast everyday anyways. I'm often a dinner-only kind of person.

    I'm also planning for survival in the wilderness. You don't plan for survival by ignoring bodily needs because it'll make you tougher or fitter.

  6. #6
    Knifegill's Avatar
    Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,740
    Oh, larabars. No better time to gorge on larabars than while camping. Energy-dense, storeable, and often to be found at very cheap prices if you shop around.


    Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

    My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

  7. #7
    astromom's Avatar
    astromom is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    49
    We had quinoa noatmeal (found the recipe by googling) for breakfast on our last backpacking trip - quinoa with cinnamon and dried apricots. It was light, packable, and very tasty!

  8. #8
    BZM's Avatar
    BZM
    BZM is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Redding, CA, USA
    Posts
    125
    For the first trail meal I've had good luck cooking, then freezing, a nice fresh cut of meat. Wrap it in foil, then bag it, then pack some other stuff around it (veggies and the like). The steak will keep 'em cold until dinner, then you can reheat the steak over the campfire.

    As previous poster said, quinoa is a good go-to. You can pre-make it too, then double-ziplock it. Put a few drops of water in at mealtime, drop the ziplock into a pan/bowl on the cookstove to heat up.

    Yosemite is awesome if you get away from the crowds. Where in the park are you going?

    Sent from my GT-N8013 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

  9. #9
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    USWellness meats makes great sugar and additive free jerky, pemmican, beef sticks, various sausages, that all make very good compact trail food.

  10. #10
    wiltondeportes's Avatar
    wiltondeportes Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by BZM View Post
    For the first trail meal I've had good luck cooking, then freezing, a nice fresh cut of meat. Wrap it in foil, then bag it, then pack some other stuff around it (veggies and the like). The steak will keep 'em cold until dinner, then you can reheat the steak over the campfire.

    As previous poster said, quinoa is a good go-to. You can pre-make it too, then double-ziplock it. Put a few drops of water in at mealtime, drop the ziplock into a pan/bowl on the cookstove to heat up.

    Yosemite is awesome if you get away from the crowds. Where in the park are you going?

    Sent from my GT-N8013 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    I'm doing a week of training in Bridalveil up at around 7000 ft. All I know is that it's not a public campground. Then, we're doing a 2 day search for a downed airplane from last December.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •