Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Primal Camping Food page 2

wiltondeportes Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    USWellness meats makes great sugar and additive free jerky, pemmican, beef sticks, various sausages, that all make very good compact trail food.
    I could stretch 2 pounds of pemmican out for a couple days. At 17.5 dollars for food per day, that's not atrocious. I love the thought of eating pemmican, and I love the compact lightness it will have in my pack.

Looks like I may have to go back to making my own pemmican! Thanks for the inspiration.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    I could stretch 2 pounds of pemmican out for a couple days. At 17.5 dollars for food per day, that's not atrocious. I love the thought of eating pemmican, and I love the compact lightness it will have in my pack.

Looks like I may have to go back to making my own pemmican! Thanks for the inspiration.
    You're welcome, Wilton.

This: http://www.traditionaltx.us/images/PEMMICAN.pdf

is the best make it yourself pemmican manual out there. I did some research into it and all the other ones were quoting this guy.
    It is kind of a pain to make but, if you are up for the effort it turns out really delicious and more "shelf stable" than the USWM ones which go kinda mushy in warm weather.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    *shifty eyes* *sidles over* I gotta mention... have you looked at dog treats? For pure protein, nothing beats freeze dried duck. That was the only ingredient, duck. XD I was curious so I tried them and while they were lacking any kind of spice they weren't bad.

...Yes, I ate dog food. What?!?

Edited to add: Pemmican would no doubt be better for a long time... this was more a single day thing. And I had some fattier stuff with me like tinned oysters as well as fresh fruit and veg.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    *shifty eyes* *sidles over* I gotta mention... have you looked at dog treats? For pure protein, nothing beats freeze dried duck. That was the only ingredient, duck. XD I was curious so I tried them and while they were lacking any kind of spice they weren't bad.

...Yes, I ate dog food. What?!?

Edited to add: Pemmican would no doubt be better for a long time... this was more a single day thing. And I had some fattier stuff with me like tinned oysters as well as fresh fruit and veg.
    I've actually eaten my dog's treats before when there's nothing else around. That's another good reminder.

wiltondeportes Guest
    You're welcome, Wilton.

This: http://www.traditionaltx.us/images/PEMMICAN.pdf

is the best make it yourself pemmican manual out there. I did some research into it and all the other ones were quoting this guy.
    It is kind of a pain to make but, if you are up for the effort it turns out really delicious and more "shelf stable" than the USWM ones which go kinda mushy in warm weather.
    I'll check it out, thanks.

PS- remember when we got into a big argument a couple years ago? Looks like things have changed.

Paleobird Guest
    I'll check it out, thanks.

PS- remember when we got into a big argument a couple years ago? Looks like things have changed.
    I don't even remember what it was about and I don't hold grudges.

@wildrose : I eat USWM Petburger all the time because it is really fatty hamburger plus some organ meats ground in. I feed my dog really well so the word "dogfood" is not a bad thing around here. We both eat well.

wiltondeportes Guest
    I don't even remember what it was about and I don't hold grudges.

@wildrose : I eat USWM Petburger all the time because it is really fatty hamburger plus some organ meats ground in. I feed my dog really well so the word "dogfood" is not a bad thing around here. We both eat well.
    It was about Ted Kaczynski. It's one of the most memorable arguments I've ever had on an internet forum.

Paleobird Guest
    It was about Ted Kaczynski. It's one of the most memorable arguments I've ever had on an internet forum.
    Oh, that. I'm honored that you find it that memorable.

If you ever start acting like a horse's behind again, believe me you will hear from me about it. But if you are just looking for pemmican recipes, like I said, I don't hold grudges.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Oh, that. I'm honored that you find it that memorable.

If you ever start acting like a horse's behind again, believe me you will hear from me about it. But if you are just looking for pemmican recipes, like I said, I don't hold grudges.
    Well don't get too honored. It just represents a time in my life, and I slowly started turning the corner about a month after it. That was about as emotional of an argument as I've been in on the internet though.

Paleobird Guest
    Well don't get too honored. It just represents a time in my life, and I slowly started turning the corner about a month after it. That was about as emotional of an argument as I've been in on the internet though.
    Well I hope the corner you turned made you happier.

You actually live in Lodi? My sister lives about ten minutes from there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast