Thread: Help me figure this out! page

Sheldoneousk is offline Junior Member

Help me figure this out!

Shop Now
    I am having an issue at work. I am a mental health therapist and so a chair is kind of a tool of the trade. However, over the past few weeks (and a dramatic increase in caseload) I have been forced to sit more than usual and it is taking its toll on my back.

I work out 3-4 days a week and always include mobilization a la Kelly Starrett. I take frequent walks in between clients and do some stretching as well. In fact I also have my own pseudo standing workstation that I can pull out on days where I have to bust out paperwork.

So here is my issue. I can't do therapy standing ( I see both children and adults so I do get down on the floor from time to time) and sitting is killing me. Part of the issue is seating I think. I have a crappy chair. I asked my work for a new one that was all ergonomical and such and they gave me gruff and actually wanted a doctors note. I would like a legitimate standing desk but I cannot afford that on my own. So given my job and situation I was hoping some of you might be able to help me figure out a solution?

Has anyone else ran into this issue? Any suggestions on how to approach admin?

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Can you bring in your own chair or one of those balance balls to sit on?
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Can you bring in your own chair or one of those balance balls to sit on?
    I'm considering my own chair and have thought about using a ball as well...I might just have to try it

Sent from my Vanquish using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    Man I love me some GoT but don't know how that is relevant to what I'm asking help with.

Sent from my Vanquish using Tapatalk 2

williams is offline Banned
    I really know how you feel now.

I graduated two years ago with a bachelor's degree, first in my class in expensive private school. I received my license to teach, and I found out first hand how nasty, mean bitches here in public school systems across the United States

When I began teaching in the teaching position in secondary interim, it was teachers, who did not even speak to me. It bothers me, and I went to a therapist therapist for help, but no one really gave a damn - they just wanted my money!

After a while, however, I discovered that I did not need them or their approval to make my life better. So for all the bad people in the world, they can kiss my asss! I watch down and pick up my check. I will bring my affliction, and I think that if they do not like it, they can find someone else to take care of children, spoiled, undisciplined!

EDIT: As for hobbies, I like to eat, drink beer, go on the internet, play games, play with my Blackberry, talk to my cats, and going for a nice, long trips in remote locations.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    They make office chairs that incorporate the balance balls, which is what I have. I like it better than the balance ball alone because it has wheels like a regular office chair so it rolls, whereas with just a ball alone you kind of have to stand up and move it. I had to buy it myself, but it was only about $80.