Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: White Rice? White Potato? page

Owen is offline Senior Member

White Rice? White Potato?

Primal Fuel
    Simple question: Do you eat either white rice or white potato? How have you found the results? I've been following PB for 6 months now and this is the one area I am still undecided on, and where there seems to be a debate..

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I do better relying on fruits, berries, and nuts when I want to eat carbs. Actually I love rice and potatoes (with lotsa butter), but fruit gives me a noticeable boost in comparison. Still withing context of primal carb range though.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-11-2013 at 04:12 PM.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I absolutely adore white rice, but I have to admit it does my digestion and body comp no favours. Definitely bloats me, and clogs me up. In India it's actually "common knowledge" that rice makes you "fat" (they don't know about water retention). But weirdly, when I eat it in sushi I have no problems (?!) Maybe cos' when it's cooked and cold, you've got the resistant starch thing kicking in.

As a plus for white rice: it's really boosts my mood (particularly in sushi).

I think white potatoes are awesome. Great for energy, great for digestion.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 06-11-2013 at 04:30 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I rarely eat rice, but white potatoes are regulars on my table. I wouldn't recommend eating the peel though. For me personally, starch keeps me full and at the end of the day I end up with less calories and much better feeling of satiety compared to when I was doing VLC. YMMV.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    I eat each about twice a week. Just two things I'm not going to give up. When I was running on carbs, having some white rice would make me crave more and more. That doesn't happen now. I still have some arthritis, which might be helped by giving up night shades. Not happening though. I do have to watch my carbs. I need to lose more fat. But my results so far have been excellent.

I'm 70 and have been doing ~80% Primal for 5 years.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Simple question: Do you eat either white rice or white potato? How have you found the results? I've been following PB for 6 months now and this is the one area I am still undecided on, and where there seems to be a debate..
    Yes, I eat both, although the potatoes are usually accompanied by a larger amount of kumara as well. Rice is our go-to substrate for eating asian style food.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Timthetaco Guest
    I eat both, but I prefer white potatoes since they're a lot more nutrient dense. No complaints as far as mood, digestion and energy go.

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    I eat lots of potatoes. Only eat rice once in a while

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    I love both but I can eat rice without eating it with tons of fat (ie. in tuna sushi) so I use it more on carb refeed days. I only like potatoes fried (chips or fries or tater tots).
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Just about every meal yup. For me, glucose problems occur at a quantity that's really hard to achieve with these foods. Plus the prep time is a handy barrier to mindless consumption. I actually found this forum after reading the foreword to Perfect Health Diet so that's an influence.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast