Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on coping with trigger foods in the house... page

tbingham is offline Junior Member

Advice on coping with trigger foods in the house...

Primal Fuel
    I just wanted to see if anyone had any coping mechanisms for avoiding trigger foods when they're in the house. It's summer and I have 3 kids at home who want cereal for breakfast in the a.m. This is my absolute worst trigger food. It seems like almost daily I eat well and feel great all day...and then at 11:00 at night I will get the most gigantic bowl in the house and fill it with as much cereal as possible and dive in. Then I feel terrible. I would gladly just buy cereal I don't like but it doesn't seem to matter. Fruit Loops? Sure thing! Corn Flakes? OK! Cocoa Puffs? More please!

I'm sure many of you will say "Just don't do it" and I get that, but it would be helpful if someone had a similar issue that they managed to move past somehow with some defining moment/thought.

Thanks!

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Figuring out what brings you to eat the cereal in the first place would probably help. Are you eating enough during the day? Do you need to eat more carbs/fat/protein? Are you staying up too late/getting enough (good) sleep?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbingham View Post
    ...and then at 11:00 at night I will get the most gigantic bowl in the house and fill it with as much cereal as possible and dive in. Then I feel terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Are you staying up too late...?
    Bingo. Go to bed at 10:30.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbingham View Post
    I'm sure many of you will say "Just don't do it" and I get that, but it would be helpful if someone had a similar issue that they managed to move past somehow with some defining moment/thought.

Thanks!
    I know you want a more difficult and complicated answer, but it really is this simple. If you don't want to eat cereal then don't eat cereal. Eat nothing or something else instead. Breaking old habits can be difficult, but clearly the only way to not eat cereal is to not eat cereal.

Paleobird Guest
    My question would be, if you know these cereals are not good for you, then why are you feeding them to your family?

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    First, what PaleoBird said.

But in a situation with autonomous adults who can have whatever food they want, I suggest outsourcing. They need to either hide or lock their stuff.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Plan A: Don't eat cereal. Suggested plan B: Try toasted rice cereal instead? From what is reported a lot about rice, it is widely accepted in ancestral health diets, along with potato. And is bound to be better than the more sugary concoctions.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Buy rice cereal or make the kids eggs.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Also, FWIW, can you buy boxes of cereal in individual servings? When I stop eating ice cream, I buy my husband single serve packages. So for example, if you have 2 kids and they eat cereal 5 days a week, buy 10 of the single serve boxes. Then there are none for you.

That said, I keep bread around for husband and never eat it. If it was me.... I'd make myself a giant egg scramble with bacon to eat. ^(&*%&^% cereal or toast.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I think if you're eating these cereals because of cravings, you're probably deficient in something.

Try eating a sweet potato with your evening meal?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast