Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice on coping with trigger foods in the house... page 2

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Or eat a piece of fruit instead?

When I get hungry in the evenings, I'll make myself a dessert of a baked banana, melted dark chocolate, covered in cream. That's better than cereal any day.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Would your kids go for any of the Chex gluten-free cereals? They have a lot of crap in them too, that nobody needs to be eating, but what they don't have is wheat. Once my DD started eating them her cereal eating dwindled to almost nothing.

I used to have a similar problem with bread and butter. I made the kids sandwiches every night for the next day, so you can imagine how that was. I didn't feel terrible, exactly, but I knew that 250 calories in bread and butter everyday was not a smart nutritional choice for me. I also refused to think of bread as a "trigger" because I was working on not letting food have so much power over me. I just acknowledged that it was a food I liked and wanted to like less. I decided I would only eat the heels when I finished a loaf and the rest of the time I would make another choice. After a couple of months of that I just didn't look forward to the heels as much. I think it was a combination refusing to feel badly about bread and having a plan to eat it less and other things more. Now all the heels are going into the compost pile. DS has moved out and DD has decided she's going to have leftovers for lunch this summer so that might be the end of bread in the house. Yay!
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Another possibility is to 1. buy only gluten-free cereal in the smallest boxes it comes in and 2. never buy more than one box, and never buy more until you have run out. That way there is only so much cereal you can cheat with, and if you eat it all, other people who were expecting to have cereal the next morning will rightfully blame you for eating their cereal.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    If it's a ritual behavior, maybe keep a stash of primal cereal around and use that while aiming to reduce the frequency. I used to eat bowls of toasted coconut chips with chopped dried papaya and almond milk.

I have to agree with the others though--commercial cereals are too defective for anyone to be eating.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I used to adore cereal. A nice substitute is to toast some coconut flakes until they are golden brown and mix them in with a paleo "cereal" and eat it with ice cold milk. It had a lot of calories, but it is quite filling.

Then, over time, work on substituting some other behavior for the nighttime snacking. But don't be too hard on yourself! Old habits are hard to change - but they will give way over time
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried frozen blueberries instead? You can't eat them too fast, and they are yum.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    The stuff you listed are processed to the point that they are no longer recognized as cereal - they are confectionery.

If you're going to buy cereal, then buy cereal - not candy.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    This is my absolute worst trigger food. It seems like almost daily I eat well and feel great all day...and then at 11:00 at night I will get the most gigantic bowl in the house and fill it with as much cereal as possible and dive in.
    Another thought, brush and floss at 10:30 and then go to bed. Or throw some white strips on your teeth until you lick the habit.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

andi is offline Member
    This might sound crazy, but whenever I cheated, the next day I would force myself to entirely burn/work off what I'd eaten. Depending, that amount of exercise would make cheating undesirable, and slowly I stopped. 4 months of 100% healthy eating,

andi is offline Member
    No, it was just my way of making cheating something that didn't seem worth it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast