Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pinot-Girls Primal Journey Starts June 2013 page

Pinot-Girl is offline Senior Member

Smile Pinot-Girls Primal Journey Starts June 2013

Primal Fuel
    Hello Everyone,

This is my second post on here but I want to be accountable, mostly to myself, and to provide a reference to me down the road about what has worked and what hasn't. I've been on a low carb diet in earnest for about 6 weeks now but over the last 15 years on / off. I had success last summer in losing some weight, but Christmas back in England with family and friends led to a gain again. What has inspired me more about MDA is the exercise regime as I have a list of injuries and weakness's that don't allow for jogging or alot of things, so I've felt outcast in a way. This regime to me is something I can manage and will be able to commit to. I already walk alot, which fulfills the most part of the weekly schedule, and starting yesterday I did my first set of 'heavy lifting', minus the pullups. I'm starting at the easiest / lowest levels, but that is fine, and where I'm meant to be. As for the sprinting, I'm slightly nervous but will give it a go within the 7 days.

Average Daily Menu

B - Coffee / Cream / Splenda / Coconut Oil / 2 hard boiled eggs (sometimes with butter)
    S - peanuts
    L - tuna & mayo
    D - fried meat (in olive oil & butter) with onions / mushrooms, lots of broccoli & courgettes OR large salad with avocado / lettuce / mushrooms / 6 strips of bacon / oil based dressing / some dripping of bacon fat
    between 3 and 4 litres of water per day sweetened with 'mio'

Exercise - I'm following the Primal Fitness 7 day chart, yesterday was Monday and I did my heavy lifting, will do it again tomorrow (Wednesday), will sprint at the weekend, and I walk to and from work every workday (40 mins each way), and I usually hike once on the weekend - between 5-10k.

I know there are a few food items noted above that are not pure 'primal', the splenda and water flavour.

My starting weight is 150lbs, I'm 40 years old, female, quite a few injuries (back / hip), sciatica, ACL replacement 2 years ago, I'm hypermobile and suffer from over extension alot. I'm also in pain every day, this improved when I cut out sugar and wheat however, but the nerve pain remains.

Please stop by and say hello, and I appreciate all suggestions which may help me in my journey!!

Pinot-Girl

Hello

Feeling really low today. I believe the real reason is because I'm in pain, and it's not getting any better. Trying to be positive about what I have that is going well, but pain is awful. I have been taking muscle relaxants but today they made me feel worse than better. I'm going to go a while without them to see what happens. Felt groggy and in a funk.

I am sailing tonight - Wednesday Night Racing, which I love. It's a mixed forecast, so may be a wet one. Lets hope it's a windy one though!

Have only eaten one of my hard boiled eggs thus far today - had 2 large mugs of coffee with cream / coconut oil and splenda aswell. Lunch is a tin of tuna with a dollop of mayo. Dinner is tbc. I finished my butter chicken last night, so I am not sure. Maybe bacon and avocado with some lettuce all mixed in the salad bowl.

Chiro last night suggested the SI joint pain he's treating would do well without too much walking and as I walk to and from work (40 mins each way), I'm going to miss it. Plus I'd started my Heavy Lifting, which I will stop to give what the Chiro says a chance. I'm not sure it'll work - I'm demotivated and really just upset, tired and sore. Grrrr....

Hope tomorrow's entry will be happier - thanks for reading, any suggestions on nerve pain welcomed.

PG!

It's Thursday today.

I've ordered Mark's book - one point, on this site it said shipping was free, but then almost $20 for 'handling'....? Anyway, I've found it elsewhere online to ship for almost nothing! Wanted the original hard back. Anyway, enough about that!!!

I had a mini mental meltdown yesterday about my ongoing pain and the new SI joint pain that I've recently been suffering from. I took some action and felt better. I've now changed my meds, put a brace round my pelvis, and reduced my walking to try and rest the joint whilst it does it's best to repair.

Food wise, things are going well. I'm a little confused on the coffee / cream legality in Primal, but I'm still having 2 large cups in the morning. I had a bacon / avocado / mushroom and lettuce salad last night. I looked at the dressing however and it has 'soybean oil' in it. So once that is gone I'll go back to making my own, something I used to do when I had a nice bottle (which I don't have anymore). I used to put sugar in it, but that obviously won't work.

I also took some pictures last night - pretty darn scary to see what you look like - even though I've been pretty low carb for a while..... Makes my enforced rest even more upsetting. At least I have no desire to derail my eating and no cravings for cakes or sweet things which is pretty awesome!!!

Almost the weekend - YAY!!!!!
    PG - happier in Vancouver

So, it's Friday of I guess you can call it week 1 of Primal.....

My nerve pain has improved since Wednesday after changing meds and resting more. I've had to stop the walking in an effort to rest the area and let the healing process do it's thing. And it seems to be working, although I'm frustrated I've not done the Primal Exercise regime as I'd hoped I would.

Bought a steak last night and had it with some mushrooms, fried in bacon fat I had from the previous night still in the pan. I am positive it wasn't grass fed, but will be looking into that over the next little while (sourcing pure / clean foods more than now).

I am also noticing today my jeans are a little looser - not sure, it may all be in my head, I've not weighed myself for I guess a week, so we'll see. I'm more interested in changing shape than the number on a scale for now.

Eating the following in the main on a daily basis:

2 large coffee's with creamer & splenda
    2 hard boiled eggs
    tuna & mayo for lunch
    meat and veg for dinner - either fried meat and steamed veg, or salad with bacon & avocado
    peanuts..... I will not be buying them again once this lot has gone, I'll instead be looking to get some almonds.

I've not had fruit for a while, was having strawberries a week or so ago, but I was drowning them in heavy cream which put me dangerously high in the calorie count, and although I tolerate dairy, 1/2 a pint per day is probably not wise!!!

Tomorrow I have a chiro and then a massage appointment booked, and I'll be evaluating my injury after that. I suspect another week of rest would be good so I'll live with that.

Glad it's Friday, I seem to spend all day on MDA whilst I'm at work, which is not good - must get some work done!

Thanks for the support already -
    PG!

It is now Wednesday - on my 2nd week, and things have been not perfect, but progressing........

I think I found someone who will assist in my nerve / back pain which is good. And I'm seeing a surgeon in 3 weeks, not that I want surgery, but options.

As far as living Primal, I have been following the eating plan for the most part, things I'm probably going to have to cut out are splenda and water flavourings. I've not done any exercising apart from walking and frustratingly, I'm not loosing any podge around the belly.

I am waiting for my Primal Living book to arrive which is exciting - can't wait to get stuck into that.

Trudging this road, and hopefully I'll stick to the path.

PG!

Quote Originally Posted by aspexil View Post
    Just a word of encouragement! Stick with it. I don't exercise any more than just walking. It took a few weeks being wheat/grain free for me before I started to see any results. But then the "podge" just started to melt off of me. I hope you can find some relief for the pain. I've had on/off back problems that required strong meds and don't envy having to do that every day.

This is another site with good information on what to eat and not eat too:
    Wheat Belly: Quick & Dirty 2 | Wheat Belly Blog
    Thank you -

I've been on / off Atkins (no bars / shakes) for about a decade, and this time around, I've been 'clean' for a number of months, but the podge seems to like where it is.....grrr!

I have had some relief on the back - and I'm hoping to reduce the meds too. I'm off the narcotics now, but still take Ibuprofen and Naproxen daily, and hope to gradually reduce it. Once things are better for my back, I'll start the 4 heavy lifting techniques to help strengthen me, and hopefully 'tone' my podge up to a flat belly!

Thanks again!

Monday - June 24th!!

It's been a pretty good weekend - had Friday as a 'flex' day, so 3 days off in a row.

The highlight - in fact there are a few, was that my Primal Blueprint book arrived, and I'm 1/4 way through it, love it!!! I fitted into jeans that were quite tight a few weeks ago easily, and could do the belt up tighter by one loop, and my friend I'd been house and dog sitting came home, she's my bestie and I've missed her!!!

Her arrival back from 2 weeks of sailing around Vancouver Island meant she was after some Chinese take away, and as I'm Primal but understandably realistic, I had some of it too, and I really enjoyed it.

My diet has been in keeping with Primal (apart from the aforementioned Chinese take away) and as I'm transitioning from Atkins, I'm starting to increase the fruit and veg component a bit - I bought an apple today!!! I also wasn't hungry on Friday so I just had a Venti Dark roast till it was dinner time, and then had 2 small steaks with a mushroom / mustard sauce and a large helping of steamed broccoli.

I have maintained my walking element of the exercise regime, as I'm still recovering from a nerve injury. I further pulled a muscle in my back on Friday which meant I had to rest even more and I took some meds. I kinda know that my back keeps going as my core is non-existant and once I switch the muscle group that holds me up, I'll suffer less.

All in all, I mark my starting Primal as June 3rd, so this is the start of week 3, and I'm happy - very happy!!!! I was always an advocate of Atkins, but this is more of a lifestyle that makes sense to me, rather than an eating plan. And one that if you have a cookie once in a blue moon, is not a deal breaker, as it was on Atkins!

Happy Monday to all, I'm looking forward to 2 weeks of good tennis aswell :-)

PG~!

Tuesday, June 25th.

Yesterday I ate the following:

B - 2 large mugs of coffee / creamer / 1 splenda per mug / large dollop of CO / 1 hardboiled egg
    L - left overs which was steak, fried in olive oil / butter w' mushrooms, mustard / cream, steamed broccoli + 1 apple
    D - 1/2 v small avocado, chicken curry made from a shop bought paste but all ingredients I knew the name of (no chemicals / weird things), chicken, fried in olive oil & butter with onions, mushrooms, heavy cream and steamed broccoli. Made enough to last me 3 or 4 meals
    2 liters of water, and eggcup full of peanuts - but they're off, so I'm not eating anymore, and won't buy anymore.....

Feeling well, slept alot last night, still taking some meds for my nerve pain and pulled back muscle, but hoping to come off them completely in the near future. No longer on prescription meds which has been amazing!!!

Walked home from work as the rain finally stopped. Wanting to start back on the fitness plan, but have a chiro / massage appointment this weekend, and although it's all improving with rest and time, I'm going to wait one more week in the hope that once I start I don't hurt myself again.

Reading my PB book which is enlightening.

Anyway, things are good - but I guess there is always room for improvement!

PG!

Wednesday - 1/2 way through the working week

Diet for yesterday:
    B: 2 x HB Eggs / 2 large mugs of coffee / creamer / 1 splenda per mug / large dollop of CO
    L: Tuna / Mayo (some adverse reactions I believe are connected to the Mayo - looking to start making it myself)
    D: Left over curry as last night, and broccoli and 1/2 v small avocado with dressing

Exercise for yesterday:
    Walked home - takes about 40 minutes.

Reduced non prescription meds by 1/2 yesterday - noticed the change this morning, so took some more, but not as many as normal. Pain still with me, not sure if it's got a bit worse, but hoping it leaves me soon.....

Everyone at work is blinded by my alertness in the mornings which is great - I don't believe I was like this a few years ago, living off oatmeal and donuts!!!

Plan for today's food and exercise is pretty much the same as yesterday. I had some dried apricots in the cupboard, and have brought some to work as a treat.

Noteable changes to sweet things - not craving them, used to have s/f chewing gum all the time, now maybe a piece a few times a week. Having less 'splenda' in my coffee's, with a view to eliminating it over time, and my 'Mio' drink flavouring is less strong now, again, looking to remove this eventually. I don't have chocolate or much fruit apart from the odd 'berry'. I also don't feel I'm missing out. I also used to have s/f jello - not had that in ages. These are just some of the changes I've experienced in coming to Primal from my old Atkins way when I was not looking to eat as 'clean' as I'm now.

Next week - I hope to start the heavy lifting (at the easiest entry level) to build strength, especially in my core, and to loose the tyre / muffin tops from my belly!!

Happy Wednesday fellows.......
    PG!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Hi Pinot Girl.

Welcome to the primal lifestyle. You are doing great - fewer cravings, morning alertness etc. It's so exciting.

You have started almost exactly one year after me, let me encourage you that this is indeed a lifestyle that is realistic to stick with and continue to deliver better health and energy.

I just love the food, and all the benefits from eating this way, and I'm sure you will too. Best wishes, Annie

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast