Thread: Night terrors! page

steven.kelly is offline Senior Member

Night terrors!

Shop Now
    Hey,

Since I was about 12 I have had night terrors, sleepwalking and sleeptalking on and off up until now (I'm 23). I was told I would probably grow out of it but I still get them in fits and spurts. Some of infamous things I have done range from running down the street to my friends house and banging on his door screaming help me help me with my dad chasing after me in his underwear (HAHA!) and then recently getting frustrated at my girlfriend for not appreciating the cabinet next to our bed because it was, "just so good". I don't remember these incidents these days, sometimes I wake upmidway through and my adrenalin is just pumping. But mostly my girlfriend has to endure them but I usually scream help me help me repeatedly or just get really scared thinking there are spiders in the room or something. I've had a sleep test and I'm all clear in that regard, I haven't been exposed to any severe psychological damage (that I'm aware of) and know about consistent bed time and less stress helps this but I still get them. I believe being primal has reduced them (my girlfriend won't admit that but it's because she's not a fan of it she may be bias or I am bias), but I just know that loading up on sugar and that sort of thing will make them more frequent I think. I'm obviously concerned about it affecting my sleep quality but I don't know what to do.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can approach this? Tips? Any similar experiences?

P.S. Interestingly, my best friend who I stay over at once a fortnight for the past year and a bit has never seen or heard me have one and the majority of the time I'm there we smoke some marijuana so I'm thinking maybe doing this stops it from happening. Just a thought as you'd expect him to notice something after a year.

Thanks.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    If marijuana helps I wonder if 5-HTP would help. It helps build serotonin (which can in turn help with sleep). I think I read about 5-HTP helping quitting marijuana/in place of marijuana when it comes to mood disorders in the book "The Mood Cure".
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    I had night terrors when I was little. My doctor told my mom that I needed to stop playing video games so much. (Nintendo, Super Mario Brothers!) I would get overly excited and agitated and I guess she told him that. I cut back on the video games and they stopped. It's possible that stress and agitation could cause it. That would also explain why smoking weed helped you. Are you overly stressed?

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I experienced a similar sort of thing for quite a few years, and managed to get rid of it. I know a lot about dreaming now...!

Are there general themes that surface through the dreams? How often do you have them? Have you noticed a pattern in when you get them?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by brookesam View Post
    I had night terrors when I was little. My doctor told my mom that I needed to stop playing video games so much. (Nintendo, Super Mario Brothers!) I would get overly excited and agitated and I guess she told him that. I cut back on the video games and they stopped. It's possible that stress and agitation could cause it. That would also explain why smoking weed helped you. Are you overly stressed?
    Haha I actually play FIFA on PS3 regularly and I'm very into it (adrenalin does get going in those games). I guess when thinking about stress I'm not that bad with it but I can be a bit of a stresser at certain times. It varies.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I experienced a similar sort of thing for quite a few years, and managed to get rid of it. I know a lot about dreaming now...!

Are there general themes that surface through the dreams? How often do you have them? Have you noticed a pattern in when you get them?
    There is never really a pattern with my night terrors, they are really random and just all over the place. I had one last week after a sugar binge and I think I get them more when my sleeping pattern is out of wack but in saying that sleeping consistently doesn't guarentee they will not happen. It's hard to tell. I don't have any bad dreams really, just random stuff normally involving people, like had one about my grandparents and then a person from work etc.

I get nightmares if drink caffeine after about 6:00pm. I have bizarre dreams and scream for help. Without caffeine, I'm fine.
    Ann of the Jungle's Primal Blueprint Journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread78155.html